Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:04 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,409,031 times

Advertisements

With the economy the way it is now, I'm thinking more and more about the possibility of nursing as a career. They get paid decently and there always seems to be jobs available. I know that opportunities for nurses have become worse in recent years, but I still know of plenty of people who have gotten jobs right out of college.

I know it can be a very stressful job and involves a lot of unpleasant things, but do you think it is worth it? If you are a nurse, do you recommend nursing? What are the positives and negatives? If you had to do it all over, would you go into nursing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,101,085 times
I work with many nurses. Whatever you do, do NOT work for a for-profit nursing home!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM

993 posts, read 2,293,198 times
There is no nursing shortage! Check out www.allnurses.com , it's a great sie for those in nursing or considering going into nursing. As a former RN, I would NOT do it over again!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,645,422 times
I am trying to get into a nursing program still got a ways to go . A lot of people might say do not do it and hate there job being a nurse but try working a dead end retail job with no upward mobility unless you want to get on your knees. Working retail is easy and you can make money if you let the company own you like a slave and work 80+ hours a week just to be told your a POS every day.

I say do what you want to do and do not listen to the haters.

If i cant find a job once i get my BSN i am just going to go back to college and get my masters degree and go for being a nurse practitioner.

Also I am older (30) and there is not to many career choices for me. I know i cant or want like desk work i need to be on the go .

Last edited by krieger00; 03-16-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,055 times
Pay is good and generally you can get a job anywhere but after being married to a nurse I can honestly say if she had to do it all over again, she wouldn't. Long hours, short staffing, tons of paperwork,obnoxious doctors and patients who see the nurses as their personal servant are just some of the issues they deal with daily. She's worked in the field for many years and most of the changes she's experienced only made it more difficult. As I said, pay and job security are great, just be prepared for the reality of the job.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM

993 posts, read 2,293,198 times
I am not a hater, I am a realist. I hate to see someone go into a career and spend a lot of $$$$ without doing some research on the field. Nursing isn't what it's hyped up to be. Yes, the money is good, but there are many other things to consider. Please do more research before you spend a lot of money on a career. You are only 30 krieger00, that is still young, and there are many other ooportunities for you besides nursing. Do some more research, Nursing News, Articles, Degrees, Jobs, Answers for Nurses and Students | allnurses is a good place to start. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,645,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I am not a hater, I am a realist. I hate to see someone go into a career and spend a lot of $$$$ without doing some research on the field. Nursing isn't what it's hyped up to be. Yes, the money is good, but there are many other things to consider. Please do more research before you spend a lot of money on a career. You are only 30 krieger00, that is still young, and there are many other ooportunities for you besides nursing. Do some more research, Nursing News, Articles, Degrees, Jobs, Answers for Nurses and Students | allnurses is a good place to start. Good luck with whatever you choose.
She should also do some volunteer work it will give her a better prospective on what she getting into. I do know for me is that sitting at a desk will not work for me i need to be on the go. I was thinking about going for becoming a nurse practitioner .

OP check out allnures it is a good web site and a ton of info. Also go get your CNA license and work as a CNA.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Exactly. I'm not a nurse but I hate it when people don't put enough research into the realities of a career. The money may look good but if you hate the work or really don't have the aptitude for it, then you will end up hating your life. Good money and all.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,409,031 times
I'm not surprised to read about the stress and bad sides of nursing. But I still sometimes think it beats working low pay jobs with not as many opportunities. I am a freelance writer right now, and some parts of it are good, but sometimes I'm not sure if I can do it long-term. It seems like all jobs are being outsourced and it's a little scary. Is there another healthcare profession that isn't as stressful? I also know there are a lot of opportunities in IT, but I don't think I'm cut out for that field. It's too technical for me and I'm bad at math.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,592,426 times
You should probably go hang out with a nurse or two and let them tell you about their day. I used to be the person a nurse freind vented to every day. working 12 hour shifts that rotate can be pretty hard on a person. Then you spend your day sleep deprived and cleaning up poo and dealing with crazy patients and their even crazier family members. It's a high stress job. And there is no nursing shortage, at least aorund here.

And being bad a math will be an issue for you. Nurses have to calculate drug dosages. And take Organic Chemistry. You will need math skills to be a nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment