Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Status: "Democracies tend to decline into despotism. (Aristotle)" (set 5 days ago)

16,227 posts, read 11,447,367 times

Advertisements

"Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad." (Euripydies)

Whatever happened to common sense in the workplace? -- as opposed to our apparent obsession with territoriality and regimentation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,287,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
This is what happens when I go into any local Walgreen's.
The one store, however, tells the cashier to ask us to rate them a "9" instead of a 10. I asked why, and was told that the 10 sounds too phony.

Now that is funny!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,792,841 times
Take the money op and deal with it as long as you possibly can. After some time on the job and regular paychecks coming in , you may start to warm up to it eventually.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM

93 posts, read 188,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Yeah, for now you suck it up. Do their gig and say the lines while you pay the bills and find another job. There will always be another job and you can always look for one while you work another.

Look on the flip side, after a couple really horrible jobs, you really appreciate the good ones and get to laugh with your friends about those stupid company lines you had to say
Thank you.. I suppose this is true. I have to try to remind myself that these jobs are merely temporary and stepping stones. I guess I just have to suck it up and endure it for now. I haven't even started working yet. I'm still waiting for a schedule to be emailed to me.. I honestly have no qualms about the dress code. I just don't know how to fake being nice all the time. "Smiling" and always being nice. I guess I have to figure it out..

Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,061,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
Thank you.. I suppose this is true. I have to try to remind myself that these jobs are merely temporary and stepping stones. I guess I just have to suck it up and endure it for now. I haven't even started working yet. I'm still waiting for a schedule to be emailed to me.. I honestly have no qualms about the dress code. I just don't know how to fake being nice all the time. "Smiling" and always being nice. I guess I have to figure it out..
If the clerk at a retail store or my waitress at a restaurant openly looks mad, I won't be back.
Smiling is part of being in a customer-centered environment.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Hmm... Lets see.

You can either work and be paid because you really need the money (after being unemployed for months)... or you can just quit and go back to being unemployed, sit home and do nothing?

Which one do you think is better?
Yeah that puts things into perspective. Being home is certainly not a desirable way to live life. I'm almost 21, and my Mom still takes care of me. Pretty embarrassing. I guess I really have to apply myself and do well at this job so I can keep it and not mess up. Otherwise I'm back on my ass again and I just don't want to return to square one. I need to be working.. All of my friends work or are in school, etc. Where does that leave me? I guess this job is a golden opportunity to redeem myself.. I just gotta get used to the job I guess. I haven't started my first day yet so I will return and post an update... Hopefully it goes well.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM

By the way, if you guys thought I was exaggerating about my new job supposed being strict/robotic, read this review.

This is a few reviews that various people wrote on GlassDoor about the company that I was just hired for.

"Cons – Declining wages in expanding stores, Management is very gossipy, the Japanese managers are not aware of the unfairness that the supervisors show, the training process is borderline fraternity hazing (they make you run in laps and say 6 standard phrases with your hands up around the store).

-Must wear “pure black,” but once the clothing is washed 3 or 4 times, it fades slightly and does not meet “pure black” requirements. This happens even with soap designed for black clothing, so my uniforms cost more than $50/mo.

Impersonal, robotic phrasebooks we must use to feign eliteness in order to give off the aura of professionalism. I literally see customers scoff at the fake scripted speeches. I speak to them as I would colloquially and see a better response and gain their respect through it."

Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,852,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
it's not being a robot. It's called making sure all their employees are exemplifying the same qualities. Come to my job where i have 4 - 5 pages of scripts that need to be remembered word for word while going on the street to entice people to join our gym. Smiling is important to any job. You have to show you actually like your job and are happy to help customers.

I say quit your whining and look for another job if you feel you can't live up to their expectations.
yes!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,061,252 times
Quote:
By the way, if you guys thought I was exaggerating about my new job supposed being strict/robotic, read this review.

This is a review that somebody wrote on GlassDoor about the company that I was just hired for.

"Cons – Declining wages in expanding stores, Management is very gossipy, the Japanese managers are not aware of the unfairness that the supervisors show, the training process is borderline fraternity hazing (they make you run in laps and say 6 standard phrases with your hands up around the store).

-Must wear “pure black,” but once the clothing is washed 3 or 4 times, it fades slightly and does not meet “pure black” requirements. This happens even with soap designed for black clothing, so my uniforms cost more than $50/mo."

wal mart employees meeting before work - Bing Videos

checkout WAL Mart chant video.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,287,196 times
Quote:
You're welcome, glad to help.

I don't really see it as faking being nice, it's more a matter of being friendly to everyone you meet. Maybe just try to assume that they are someone you will be glad to see and talk to, usually people respond to you in the same way. Once you've done it a bit it becomes habit - I try to do it just because it really ends up being a pretty pleasant way to go through your life.

Now when it's a bad day, car broke down, dog died, late for work, nagging boss, it gets awfully hard to be friendly. Then it's getting on to faking it. But if you make the effort then as well, the rotten mood tends to improve - at least it does for me when I make the effort. I've found a lot of my mood to be influenced by what I want it to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment