Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,692,783 times

Advertisements

There's no doubt that engineering grads have higher starting salaries than business grads, but what about mid-career salaries? I've heard mixed answers. Some say engineering grads get paid more throughout their careers than business grads. Others say business grads have better prospects for managerial positions while engineers are stuck at the bottom with so little opportunity for promotion. I've even heard that engineering careers don't last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:27 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,353,416 times
I think business is about the worst thing to do now.

better bet is to get an engineering education then work toward project management on the job.

there are way too many useless MBAs out there right now.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 PM

150 posts, read 258,542 times
For business grads, the variation in salary is very high. Business grads can be Sales Managers, Marketing Managers or simply Customer Service Reps. In my company, base salary for mid career Engineers is around $110K. It is about the same for Sales Managers but our bonus tops at 15% and the Sales Managers' bonus is usually between 25% to 35%. On the other hand, some business major grads ended up in Customer Service and top out at around $75K.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM

417 posts, read 868,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
For business grads, the variation in salary is very high. Business grads can be Sales Managers, Marketing Managers or simply Customer Service Reps. In my company, base salary for mid career Engineers is around $110K. It is about the same for Sales Managers but our bonus tops at 15% and the Sales Managers' bonus is usually between 25% to 35%. On the other hand, some business major grads ended up in Customer Service and top out at around $75K.
I don't know any customer service reps making anywhere near that, maybe a CS manager?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 PM

150 posts, read 258,542 times
In our company customer service reps also provide basic technical support to our customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
I don't know any customer service reps making anywhere near that, maybe a CS manager?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM

128 posts, read 373,345 times
Be more specific with engineering and business. There are different emphasis for each one like electrical engineering and finance.

In almost all cases, engineering will be better. Business admin (without an emphasis) is very broad degree. You can get many jobs with it, but you don't concentrate on anything and learn any specific skills.

Engineering is simply more practical. A business admin degree isn't bad though. Better than a lot of other majors out there.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,560,162 times
It's a lot easier to transition into business with an engineering undergraduate degree than it is to transition into engineering with an undergraduate business degree.

Also, according to this article, 33% of the S&P 500 CEOs' undergraduate degrees are in engineering and only 11% have business administration degrees.

Surprising Facts About CEOs - Business Insider

Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,315,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It's a lot easier to transition into business with an engineering undergraduate degree than it is to transition into engineering with an undergraduate business degree.

Also, according to this article, 33% of the S&P 500 CEOs' undergraduate degrees are in engineering and only 11% have business administration degrees.

Surprising Facts About CEOs - Business Insider

I'm going to agree with this post. Part of the reason that many engineers don't make it into the higher mid career positions isn't because they couldn't contribute at that level - they certainly could! Based on my experience its because they lack the interpersonal skills and / or eschew interacting with people altogether. If you're an engineer with the drive and interpersonal skills, you can make it!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,486,091 times
Hmm, a recent article stated that a BBA isn't useful unless you move on to an MBA. That shocked me, as I knew that a decade ago, while MBA is a common next step to make more $$ and get a leg up, BBA is still good for entry level positions. Nowadays, they're making it sound like business degrees are on par with science degrees where for science fields, many undergrads move on to Masters degrees ASAP to be "where they and others should be", as opposed to having the option to work a bit after getting a Bachelors.

I also heard that some engineers are hurting with layoffs, and lowered salaries, but this is based off of articles and conversations I read, which I give them less weight.

Engineering is tough though... it requires a lot of mathematics and sciences.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,972 times
An observation from an overeducated business guy.

I have a BS in Business, an MBA and a MS in Risk Management.

My graduate classes were full of engineers. I would say at least half of them had an undergraduate degree in some Engineering field.

Common gripe among them is that while Engineers made way above average starting out, their careers and earnings plateau at certain point. Plus, the prevailing thought among the group was that the work is mind numbingly boring after a while.

My gripe of Engineers is that they should have all taken couple of classes in communications, cognitive development and teamwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment