Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:15 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,779,634 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you walked into a wonderful opportunity after what just happened to you in regards to the difficulties of owning a business. Ups and downs can happen very quickly or all at once it would seem, and sometimes we don't realize until a lot of time has passed since these things have happened. You see how good your new job is for you immediately. How truly awesome that is for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I was in a similar situation, until things changed. Never trust an employer. They do not have your best interests at heart.
Normally, I would agree with you. But I think this company is a special case. No, I wouldn't go as far as say they have my best interest in mind. But I trust this company a lot more than I would trust other companies. Here are a few reasons why.

About 15 years ago a group of engineers working for a large firm decided to split up and start their own engineering firm. In other words, all the current corporate leaders are engineers. Unlike other companies where corporate leaders make a disproportionate amount of money than everyone else, our CEO makes a top engineer's salary.

I'm a liberal in that I don't believe that CEO's should make millions while everyone else makes so much less. My company currently partners with another company for a major project. Because right now in the winter months there is no construction going on, all their engineers are sitting at home without pay. It is my company's policy never to do that. We are all still here working on other things while the engineers from the other company are staying at home without pay. Their CEO gets paid millions. Our CEO gets paid an engineer's salary.

I work directly with 2 of the original founders of my company. During down time, they've told me a lot about our company's history. A few years ago when the company became very profitable when it won many major contracts, instead of the corporate leaders voting themselves a raise, everyone gets a company car and gas allowance.

Now, compare this to a company like Caterpillar. My brother in law works for it. Last year, their corporate leaders voted themselves a 300% pay raise while demanding that everyone else takes an 8% pay cut and 18% cut in benefits. And this was at a time when they were having record high profits.

But the main reason why I would trust this company more than others is this. Back when my business had just failed and I was looking for a job, I had an interview with one of this company's RE (resident engineer... it's the top dog in a group of engineers). It was a very informal interview. In fact, it took place at a Starbucks. In that interview, he told me about his beloved dog he found as a stray at a construction site. The next day, he called me and said he wanted to hire me and that I needed to go through some formalities.

Unfortunately, the following week he told me they were having trouble getting the state permit to access the work site because an environmental group was blocking it. In my head, I was having doubts. Were they giving me the go-around? A couple weeks went by and still nothing. Almost a month went by when I had just given up hope I got a call from him asking me if I was still available. Their lawyers finally won out. I said hell yes (not literally). He said someone from the corporate office will contact me the next day. Sure enough, someone did call me the next day to schedule for me to go to their corporate office in downtown Chicago to do some paperwork.

The point is they reached out to me. There was a hiccup in the road, but they were apologetic about it and kept reaching out to me. I just never experienced such a level of care from any other corporate entity before.

And now I got a brand new car from the company. It's pretty much their way of saying you're one of us now.

Of course I could be completely wrong on my interpretation of what I've observed. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM

659 posts, read 1,175,133 times
BRAVA!!!
What an awesome experience and thank ou for sharing it with us today.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM

48 posts, read 111,462 times
Good to hear.

I'm in the engineering industry too, hate the work, but it pays the bills, so I'm having a ton of trouble walking out the door -- been telling myself to quit for years now.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter Writer View Post
Good to hear.

I'm in the engineering industry too, hate the work, but it pays the bills, so I'm having a ton of trouble walking out the door -- been telling myself to quit for years now.
Which field?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 PM

113 posts, read 212,473 times
Very pleased for you. You certainly beat the long held belief that companies tend to look down on self employed people seeking work.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM

48 posts, read 111,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Which field?
Civil, transportation.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shepherd View Post
Very pleased for you. You certainly beat the long held belief that companies tend to look down on self employed people seeking work.
I don't know if my company counts. How many firms do you know where the CEO makes an engineer's salary and when the company is profitable it increases everyone's benefits instead of the corporate godheads voting themselves a raise?

I was certainly worried when my business failed. I was going in my head 'who wants to hire a failed business owner?'

Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,360,991 times

Congratulations, Rosie! Enjoy everyday!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:15 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,138,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I don't know if my company counts. How many firms do you know where the CEO makes an engineer's salary and when the company is profitable it increases everyone's benefits instead of the corporate godheads voting themselves a raise?

I was certainly worried when my business failed. I was going in my head 'who wants to hire a failed business owner?'
That's BS though. Anybody in the private sector understands that most businesses fail, even Apple went through a near death experience. After meeting talking to some "successes", I noticed a trend. They had made several attempts at new ideas or businesses that just never panned out. It was sadomasochistic, but their failures always taught them more. They highly value the failures of other people also.

They would gladly hire somebody that fails a business over somebody with no experience running a business. They know the candidate understands the business owner's struggles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment