Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,588,717 times

Advertisements

In a nine month arc I once doubled my salary. I was making $54k in salary, left to consult and was earning $75k prorated annually (it was a per-diem and I estimated I'd bill 180 days) and was recruited by my former company into a management position earning $110k annually. While it wasn't a straight move and my responsibilities increased dramatically the bottom line is that I literally doubled my base pay. I've gone up and down by as much as $35k annually since that time but mostly because I've stepped into and out of a wide variety of roles including consulting as well as relocating from a high-paying region to a more moderate one.

As for those who stayed at one company for years and are satisfied, more power to you. It's rare in this day an age to be a professional and be afforded the opportunity to stay with the same employer but if you're making a fair wage and being treated right that's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,759,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
In a nine month arc I once doubled my salary. I was making $54k in salary, left to consult and was earning $75k prorated annually (it was a per-diem and I estimated I'd bill 180 days) and was recruited by my former company into a management position earning $110k annually. While it wasn't a straight move and my responsibilities increased dramatically the bottom line is that I literally doubled my base pay. I've gone up and down by as much as $35k annually since that time but mostly because I've stepped into and out of a wide variety of roles including consulting as well as relocating from a high-paying region to a more moderate one.

As for those who stayed at one company for years and are satisfied, more power to you. It's rare in this day an age to be a professional and be afforded the opportunity to stay with the same employer but if you're making a fair wage and being treated right that's great.
Most people end up staying at one company not because of pay or being treated right (although factors), but because of family...or so I've experienced.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,142,033 times
I got a 35% raise once for leaving a company, but when I got laid off, it went right back down to where I was.

In retrospect, I should have stayed with company #1.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,460,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
What's the largest salary increase you received for switching jobs?

I have a friend that's currently underpaid by $25-30k compared to market rate, due to gaining new skills and 3 years of experience. I received a $20k raise myself, 2 years ago. I am curious how much companies are willing to offer.
Similar about 20K a year ago.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,144,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I'm in my 15th year working and have never changed jobs!

I'm surprised people are willing to job-hop in this age of unstable employment. Rather than leap into the unknown and hope that the salary, working conditions, bosses, etc. are tolerable, I've worked on making my own working environment better and more pleasant with each passing year. Am I rich? No. But I'm a lot less exhausted and frustrated than most people!
Congrats! It's hard to stay employed, when companies are going under.

I stayed 4 years, before the company failed and laid every employee in 2008. I got a $25k raise.

I stayed at the next company for 3 years, our assets were sold and every employee was laid off. I got a $20k raise. A $45k increase, after 2 years is not bad.

I learned that I should have left earlier for better companies. If I had job hopped, my employment would have been MORE stable. I had to go 2 periods of unemployment, because I stayed at my employer. It would have been better to leave, before the ship sailed. I would always have a job at least.

I am more surprised that employees have never been laid off or been through a company sale.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-06-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,024,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I'm in my 15th year working and have never changed jobs!

I'm surprised people are willing to job-hop in this age of unstable employment. Rather than leap into the unknown and hope that the salary, working conditions, bosses, etc. are tolerable, I've worked on making my own working environment better and more pleasant with each passing year. Am I rich? No. But I'm a lot less exhausted and frustrated than most people!
So that means you started working in 1999, that's great but not the norm anymore.

Most of the reasons I transferred jobs are from being laid off.

My first job I had during college, when I graduated they said they couldn't hire me full time (I worked there 5 years).

Then my second job laid me off after about 2 years.

Then my third job was terrible and while I had been looking and got this job, a better job called me to start with them.

Then after 3 years I found a better job, but unfortunately I lost that job from my own mistakes.

And now my current job I've had just over a year but hopefully will stay for many years to come.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,759,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
So that means you started working in 1999, that's great but not the norm anymore.

Most of the reasons I transferred jobs are from being laid off.

My first job I had during college, when I graduated they said they couldn't hire me full time (I worked there 5 years).

Then my second job laid me off after about 2 years.

Then my third job was terrible and while I had been looking and got this job, a better job called me to start with them.

Then after 3 years I found a better job, but unfortunately I lost that job from my own mistakes.

And now my current job I've had just over a year but hopefully will stay for many years to come.
What happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment