Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times

Advertisements

Unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't want to provide any job lead that will have some catching public transportation at 12am. If they chose to do it on their own then fine. The stick up boys look to rob people in this city during that time of night
It's not about you. You're not their keeper, unless they're mentally challenged and you're their guardian. It's not about youand what you feel about public transportation at 12AM or "stick up boys". Isn't your job to help people find jobs, not to dictate what hours they should work?

What you're doing is depriving them of the right to make their own decisions and somehow I just don't feel that that's part of your job description.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I think it's reasonable considering armed car guards get $12-14 and they are risking their lives. You could probably read and study while doing your job in college.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I think it's reasonable considering armed car guards get $12-14 and they are risking their lives. You could probably read and study while doing your job in college.
Of course it's reasonable. It's all the rest of it that's so unreasonable and so utterly wrong. His job is to comb through ads looking for job opportunities for people who go to the city agency he works for looking for these opportunities.

It's not his job to withhold, based on his own unique personal preferences, potential employment information from his adult clients who can make up their own minds about what hours they can or cannot work and how they can or cannot get from A to B.

I'm so done with this lunacy that I'm crisp.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Sounds about average for that type of job. I know a guy whose son has a similar job. He said he gets around $12/hr plus tips, but that's in higher COL Chicago. There's an awful lot of unskilled laborers around these parts doing manual work for around that kind of wage. I would think they have it worse. Saw a welding job asking for three years experience, yet offering $10/hr.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Of course it's reasonable. It's all the rest of it that's so unreasonable and so utterly wrong. His job is to comb through ads looking for job opportunities for people who go to the city agency he works for looking for these opportunities.

It's not his job to withhold, based on his own unique personal preferences, potential employment information from his adult clients who can make up their own minds about what hours they can or cannot work and how they can or cannot get from A to B.

In another thread he claimed he works for the federal government. Color me suspicious.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
It's very similar to the job I did while attending my university. I was studying from 08:00 to 16:00, getting dinner in the university and taking a bus to the hospital where I worked at the parking area as an armed guard. I was very happy to get this job.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
The position is Parking Garage Desk Attendant/Custodian

Duties: Answering Phones, completing transactions with day parkers, handling cash

Taking out trash, sweeping garage, and storage area, cleaning elevators and replacing lightbulbs

Applicant must have a good work ethic and people skills

Pay............................................... ...................................$9.00 an hour

Ridiculous and the sad part is they know someone is desperate enough to take the job. This company is all about dirty Business.

What's worse (or more unethical), posting a job for $9/hr or paying some dude $5M year and a $10M golden parachute when he as the CEO, was on the job when his company's stock lost 10% over 5 years?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

No one should lose their life over $9.00 an hour and wait for a bus at 12:30am in the high crime city.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
No one should lose their life over $9.00 an hour and wait for a bus at 12:30am in the high crime city.
Not everyone can get a cushy job working for the gov paid by our taxes posting on CD every 5 mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment