Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,566,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I don't want help from the government; but I am verdammt thankful that I don't face the prospect of spending my prime working years in a corporate structure that thinks it has more power than the goverment ..... and expects to intimidate you into furnishing your own chains, and in the name of the same "collective security" that nearly drove democracy from the face of the globe eighty years ago.

Admittedly, I don't know precisely what the remedy is, nor what the answer/outcome will be. The prospect of corporate arrogance becoming so brazen that it provokes a landslide of left-leaning backlash frightens me even more. Bur no matter where you go in the high-volume, entry-level job market of the present day, individuality and freedom of self expression, save possibly at the meaningless, superficial level, are under attack.

It is time to ask those high-placed in the power structure, "How much is enough?"
There were only a few of you idealists long ago. Obviously the internet have negative effects and there's more of you now with self-expression issues. flash mob! where? squirrel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,598,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Isn't it funny how your 'statistical anomalies' all put in more time and effort than anyone else?

Stop using luck as an excuse not to try.
What are you talking about buddy. I am multi year president's club in sales with more awards than I bet you do. Your post the other day said it all. You are 27 you haven't even worked in the real world long enough to talk about it. You still believe you have a chance of making $1 million commission you are funny. But go ahead and sell that BS to someone else. I am in my 40's and I actually have been to a few rodeos. You think I post all doom and gloom. I don't I post the truth unlike the infomercial you are trying to sell.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 07-26-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,904,703 times
Yes it's a hard world out there, but it's survival of the fittest. I have a friend who came from wealth and has a negative net worth. My husband and I have two years of college between us yet we were self made at 46. My friend that came from wealth has zero common sense and poor decision making skills. Her and her husband made at least 200k between them and lived for free in an income property that his mother owned. Yet they're in so deep with the IRS that they will never recover and are getting divorced now. Yes you can have a better job with an education but still be poor if you lack the ability to manage money properly. You can win the lottery and be broke in two years as well. Some people are just wired to be financially successful, others can be taught if they're willing to make the sacrifice necessary to achieve their goal, others will be too lazy or too weak to work for it. Others will be dreamers and play the lottery or look for the quick fast money, but the reality is that it takes decades of hard work and sacrifice. I don't think college is a necessary component to being wealthy. You can start from any economic stand point if you're willing to live even further below your means and develop good investment skills. I can't isn't an option, rather the how can I do this that creates winners.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:56 AM

7,058 posts, read 7,131,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
But in general an engineer, a lawyer, a doctor, a professor, etc will get a good paying and stable job.
Not true. I am a civil engineer. The pay is not good, and there is absolutely no stability or job security.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM

12,129 posts, read 17,246,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Not true. I am a civil engineer. The pay is not good, and there is absolutely no stability or job security.
While I can't completely disagree with you, the pay for other types of engineers is not really much higher.

I know electricals and mechanicals with over 10 years of experience, and they don't crack 6 figures. Degrees from Berkeley and working at top companies.

Software guys do, but ironically that's the least 'engineering' oriented type of engineer.

But yes, people overestimate what engineers make.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,273,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
What are you talking about buddy. I am multi year president's club in sales with more awards than I bet you do. Your post the other day said it all. You are 27 you haven't even worked in the real world long enough to talk about it. You still believe you have a chance of making $1 million commission you are funny. But go ahead and sell that BS to someone else. I am in my 40's and I actually have been to a few rodeos. You think I post all doom and gloom. I don't I post the truth unlike the infomercial you are trying to sell.
Given a third of the people in sales at my company pull in over $1 million per year in commissions, I would say what I say is far from BS. Maybe you aren't in the right business if you don't believe that. You don't post 'truth'. You post a defeatist attitude that discourages anyone from actually working harder to get ahead.

You think because you haven't made it big that anyone who does is simply lucky, which is a pretty terrible attitude to have. Sales people hate getting awards in my business, because we have to disclose all of them to the SEC so that they can track our marketing efforts, so we don't put much weight into BS awards. All awards do for me is create headaches with government regulations as well as open myself up to potential lawsuits, so I hope I go my entire life without winning an award.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM

570 posts, read 1,736,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
While I can't completely disagree with you, the pay for other types of engineers is not really much higher.

I know electricals and mechanicals with over 10 years of experience, and they don't crack 6 figures. Degrees from Berkeley and working at top companies.

Software guys do, but ironically that's the least 'engineering' oriented type of engineer.

But yes, people overestimate what engineers make.
Software does most of the 'engineering'. You don't see them because it's digital. You build your building, bridge, cars, aircraft, ships, they build their website like facebook, OSs like windows, search engine like google, yahoo.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Engineering these days is more about the 'design' piece or something with a grand plan. Most software / hardware IT guys are just carpenters and general support or end-users of some software

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM

570 posts, read 1,736,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Engineering these days is more about the 'design' piece or something with a grand plan. Most software / hardware IT guys are just carpenters and general support or end-users of some software
those are not software Engineering. software engineers don't do end user support of any support lol

Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
those are not software Engineering. software engineers don't do end user support of any support lol
whats a safety engineer and sanitary engineer? its more engineering than 'software engineering' IMO.

Somebody has to sell the software, and support the software and teach people how to use it. Who do you want to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment