Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,470,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Your manager is getting a commission on the clothing her staff purchases. You are a tool in a pyramid scheme. One of these days you're going to be forty-plus in an industry that only values looks - and you do not appear to be on the promotion track. You will be unhire-able, in an industry that has no more use for you, and without any experience other than retail sales.

You see where this is going? Sell your house so that you are not trapped, and get a real job.
Why don't you get some sleep and then wake up on the right side of the bed, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,115,287 times
Stupid manager is trying to create more sales by harassing employees into being customers. If you buy any extra clothes, look for them at resale shops. Be ready to file for unemployment, because a manager this ****ty is going to run that store right into the ground.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM

87 posts, read 262,362 times
I think it is unreasonable for a manager to continually demand that you keep purchasing new wardrobe items to wear. Especially when working in a high-end expensive store. The employees need to make enough money to support themselves and their families. I've heard of stores offering a 40% discount to staff, but that still does not bring the price down enough to make it affordable to the cashier in the store, or the floor sales clerk. Store staff generally make a low income, that should go to food and housing not fashions.

Staff should be give a monthly fashion stipend that the company pays for.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,864,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Your manager is getting a commission on the clothing her staff purchases. You are a tool in a pyramid scheme. One of these days you're going to be forty-plus in an industry that only values looks - and you do not appear to be on the promotion track. You will be unhire-able, in an industry that has no more use for you, and without any experience other than retail sales.

You see where this is going? Sell your house so that you are not trapped, and get a real job.
I used to work at a high-end retail store, and that is NOT how it works. When a manager rings up an employee purchase, it's not under the manager's number, it's under the house number. Also, there are many older people who work in retail and make a very good living.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM

553 posts, read 1,212,073 times
Seems like a perfect opportunity to respond by asking for a raise. If you get the raise, and it is enough for you to afford the new clothes, buy them. If it is not enough, keep paying your bills and start looking for other job opportunities. If you have retail sales experience and a track record of success, you will not have too much trouble finding another job as a retail salesperson. Good ones are always in demand.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,855,707 times
If she wants you to buy more clothes, she can fund them. If not, she can sod off.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,428,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
I used to work at a high-end retail store, and that is NOT how it works. When a manager rings up an employee purchase, it's not under the manager's number, it's under the house number. Also, there are many older people who work in retail and make a very good living.
Thanks for the insight! You must admit it sounded fishy, though.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:17 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,428,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why don't you get some sleep and then wake up on the right side of the bed, eh?
You're right, thanks.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,440,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
IF I worked there I wouldn't even want to spend that much money of things. I pay that much for boots not accessories.
This is exactly why I quit retail. I was spending my whole paycheck on new clothes. I say look for a new job. I loved my job, and the hours, Iworked on ccommission, had dedicated clients who only shopped from me, But I just couldn't continue.

I did call center work, brought home more money.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,033,856 times
Why can't you all just "wear" the accessories while at work.....(and LEAVE them at work, or course)

No seriously..... why do you all have to BUY the items? Why can't you wear them on loan or while just at work - like models do. The company is getting over on you. You don't have to OWN the clothes to wear them at work, and talk them up and get customers to buy them.

There could be an employee rack in the back with clothes and accessories .. even if you have to buy the clothes why can't you just pick up accessories to wear for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment