Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM

6,433 posts, read 7,740,693 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with much of what has been stated by other posters here.

Women, in general, look at loyaty much differently than men do. I have seen this in my workplace as well as tried to explain this behavior to my husband when he didn't recognize why a particular female was mad at him. Men's loyalty is more for the moment, but women, who have "families" to keep together react differently when someone resigns or does something they interpret as being disloyal. It doesn't make any less difficult but sometimes when you can consider someone else's motives, it makes your own path clear, leaving little room for doubt.

Best of luck on the new job and soon this will be a distant memory to chuckle over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM

459 posts, read 1,750,193 times
Part of me almost wonders...she has a lot of mood swings.

She went from being mad at me yesterday to trying to be super nice to me today. I came in a few minutes later than normal, obviously since it's my last week, and the minute I got in "Oh...was traffic bad today?" Lol.

We had a meeting today with our entire department, and despite her behavior, she put her smile on her face and talked about how awesome I was and how great it was to have me, how much they were all going to miss me, wishing me luck, etc. She seems to have a completely different side to her when HER BOSS is in the room.

She already has asked me to stay late tomorrow because she needs (more of a want since this happens all the time lately) to leave work early. I honestly think she needs to have her stuff in a good place before she leaves, not drop it on me. What do I really care given I'll be out the door in a couple of days. I am not going to sweat it and probably just going to leave a couple of minutes after her.

At this point, I'm just doing this for the memories & the extra week of pay is not bad either

I don't even think if I was to contact HR about her behavior they would even respond. I've sent them notes about being compensated for my accrued PTO upon leaving the company, crickets. I still haven't received exit interview information, crickets.

Probably a good thing that I am leaving.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,040,735 times
You'll get your PTO, I wouldn't worry about that, usually it's a check in the mail or DD when you are supposed to be paid normally.

As for exit interviews, I worked at a company once who didn't do one for me. I think like a MONTH later they sent me a packet with the exit interview stuff asking if I'd take the time to fill it out and mail it back. I threw it in the trash LOL.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,402,456 times
Just be grateful she's not giving you "grunt" duties - like hand you a broom and tell you to clean up the stock room. A former boss did that to me during my last week. And no, I was an administrative assisant, not a janitress.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,921 times
I work for a privately owned business....no HR. No policies. .. nothing to go by. I have a new job in a week....I gave a 7 day notice because I didn't have time for a two week due to orientation and start date. When I gave my notice my supervisor was very angry, hateful, and unprofessional. She slammed the notice on the counter and began to demean me. .. on top of that I have been threatened by a customer to the point of calling police. My empoyer wouldn't put a no trespass on the customer. When I tried to explain the reason for my leaving and the notice she got even more upset and told me she didn't want to talk to me and she would see me tomorrow. How do I handle this situation?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:09 PM

897 posts, read 1,186,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distressedemployee View Post
I work for a privately owned business....no HR. No policies. .. nothing to go by. I have a new job in a week....I gave a 7 day notice because I didn't have time for a two week due to orientation and start date. When I gave my notice my supervisor was very angry, hateful, and unprofessional. She slammed the notice on the counter and began to demean me. .. on top of that I have been threatened by a customer to the point of calling police. My empoyer wouldn't put a no trespass on the customer. When I tried to explain the reason for my leaving and the notice she got even more upset and told me she didn't want to talk to me and she would see me tomorrow. How do I handle this situation?
1. Pray they do not fire you first so you can collect as much of a paycheck as you can. Dot your i's, cross your t's, mind your p's and q's, etc.
2. Go above and beyond in your duties until you're gone.
3. Kill her with kindness.

This is what I've found works, but some managers/bosses genuinely like tormenting their subordinates so. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,114,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's weird. Some people are like that. My boss is.

A coworker gave two weeks' notice and resigned last year. The woman had been there for 20 years and was married with a six-year-old child. Her mother had died during the past year and left her some sort of inheritance, and she and her husband decided they could afford for her to stay home with the daughter, so she resigned. After she gave her notice, our boss stopped speaking to her. Just ignored her as if she didn't exist. It was as if she took the resignation personally or something.

We also know not to discuss retirement around her. She doesn't want to hear that anyone would want to leave for any reason.
One guy I worked for got so upset when one of my coworkers quit he started telling everyone she was cheating on her husband.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 70,014,457 times
"I understand I am going to be out the door a week from today, but I don't know if I can honestly put up with the treatment. I am basically doing it at this point so I don't lose out on the pay ..."

Sure you can. Just about anything can be endured for 10 days. Take the high road, ignore the attitude, just do your job as you would normally do it and the time will pass in a flash.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,201,235 times
If she's being this vindictive to you now, do you really think she's going to be any more reasonable or decent when she's being called to give you a reference?

Unlikely.

So what do you have to lose by walking out on this BS now?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
She's being punitive because she's upset you're leaving (her). I would just tell her you have a lot you need to get done during this period and won't be able to work late, and you're so sorry about that. What is she going to do, fire you?

I'm all for being a team player but you don't need to be a doormat on your way out just because she's being childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment