Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,613,262 times

Advertisements

In terms of volunteer, if you have nothing else, I mean nothing else, retail, unpaid internship, work unrelated to your degree, then certinally volunteering looks better on the resume than "I sat at home for 4months and did nothing". Also just because you volunteer does not mean you stop looking for the paid work.

The only problem I see with volunteering is, can you afford to do it? Living at home with the folks-proably, rent due at the end of the week-maybe not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,632,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
But if you have no other work experience, its still better than nothing.

And you can stretch out those skills for a resume. For example, if you are a photographer, didn't that entail contacting clients, booking shoots, managing billing, hiring models, scouting locations, managing inventory of supplies etc.

Not sure what types of jobs you have been applying to because that does matter. I just think you can expand your skills more to find things that might transfer and I still think its better than a totally black job application.

You would think it would matter...it doesn't actually.
Of course you do all of that a lot more on top of it, but all of that doesn't match the computer program that separates you from those who have the same exact resume that the computer is set to recognize. Plus, you cannot upload a resume on those automatic appications in 90% of the cases. I don't apply for jobs that are not related to my field, and that don't require the knowledge I have.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 AM

361 posts, read 923,823 times
LOL @ applying to ten. If you hit 50 I'd change something - either the TYPES of jobs your applying to or your resume/cover letter. I applied to close to a hundred jobs before I found one. But I also made it a mission to apply to at least four jobs per day so I wasn't unemployed that long. If you apply to 4-5 a day you should at least be getting interviews in a week or so...

Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,416,295 times
The minimum wage jobs all want resumes now. You can't just fill out an application and get the job. They would actually have to hire somebody instead of beating around the bush.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,445,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Because if you put Photographer/Photography on any application you get laughed at. The OP probably did not make $50,000+/Year being a freelance photographer, and so it is not considered a job by formal HR ppl.

I am a pro photographer, and if I were to apply for a regular job I would get laughed at it too if I put all my photography experience as an independent contractor on my resume. I have to LIE extensively, and make up crap just to get a call. It is all because "careers" are no longer promoted, and HR wants to see that you exchanged jobs every 4 years to hire you. Which is pure BS. If I am told to go to college, and choose a major, I see zero reason to switch careers every 4 years to satisfy some twisted HR malfunction.

PS Changing careers like underwear is only the perfect recipe for Adult ADHD. I see zero reason to do this, UNLESS one becomes disabled and can no longer perform the chosen job.
Who exactly are you lying to? Potential photography clients or employers? Neither is a good idea--for different reasons. Reputation is not something to play with in any industry, but especially not that one.

A talented photog with an exceptional portfolio will be busy without ever needing to lie. Most "professional photogs" are pretty mediocre and don't do much more than take snapshots with expensive equipment.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,632,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Who exactly are you lying to? Potential photography clients or employers? Neither is a good idea--for different reasons. Reputation is not something to play with in any industry, but especially not that one.

A talented photog with an exceptional portfolio will be busy without ever needing to lie. Most "professional photogs" are pretty mediocre and don't do much more than take snapshots with expensive equipment.

I am not lying to anyone, I work for myself. I said "IF" I was looking to apply to a regular 9 to 5 I would probably have to lie because my photographic experience of some 25 years is not taken seriously now that "everyone" with the ability to buy a DSLR thinks they're a photographer!

I am not sure why you have a need to INSULT people here!? does it make you feel better somehow? do you insult your dentist too for spending thousands on dental equipment too? just curious!
Quote:

Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwEETGirl09 View Post
I applied to 10 different jobs, 5 were at McDonalds while the others were at Kmart, Walmart, Sears, Target, Toys R Us.

When filling out the applications I left the job history/employment sections BLANK. Because my parents have told me that since I have NO JOB EXPERIENCE what so ever to leave the job sections BLANK.

Then I will get called in for an interview. I did as they suggested and its been a week since I applied and no word from any of those jobs.

Whereas my friend goes to a fast food place see's a HELP WANTED sign and fills out an application on the spot and gets a call for an interview a few days later.

So I don't know what I am doing wrong here but everyone else is either getting jobs or at least an interview while nothing is popping up on my end.
Most of those jobs don't care if you have prior job experience. I know Walmart in particular does not use prior job experience as a criteria, they just use whether or not you passed the screening assessment.

One week is way to fast to expect someone to contact you with an opportunity at one of these high volume positions. I would expect to wait a month before you hear anything. I think most of these filter by earliest application within the last month or two. So if a job came up and their filter was 2 months then the people who had applied in early February would get the first calls.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
In terms of volunteer, if you have nothing else, I mean nothing else, retail, unpaid internship, work unrelated to your degree, then certinally volunteering looks better on the resume than "I sat at home for 4months and did nothing". Also just because you volunteer does not mean you stop looking for the paid work.

The only problem I see with volunteering is, can you afford to do it? Living at home with the folks-proably, rent due at the end of the week-maybe not so much

Travel costs have to factored into a "volunteering situation"

Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,445,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I have to LIE extensively, and make up crap just to get a call.
If this was a theoretical comment, then my apology.

It doesn't read that way IMO.

And if you haven't done so, but were trying to justify the "need" to lie I'm not sure that's any better.

I dishonest people, or those that encourage other's to be dishonest.

The comment about photogs and equipment was one I thought you'd understand, and was not an insult directed at you. Anyone owning expensive equipment seems to think that makes them a photographer. Your portfolio is what counts, as such, I don't think lying is necessary. Even when applying to another field, there is no need for it. One simply provides a functional resume, along with references.

Amusingly a freaking dentist offered to take over the duties of the paid sports photographer position for FREE at my son's college, which has one of the best photography programs in the country.dAd a resulted, the college eliminated a paid position, but now has crappy free photos available for their promontional materials. The students could have done a better job and would have for minimal fees and the experience. The dentist has the title and access, which are of value only to him...

I give someone the benefit of the doubt, that they are what they say, until they prove themselves otherwise. You said you were a working, professional photographer. I believed you. How one learns the craft is unimportant. Many young photographer's are sadly lacking many technical skills, by not starting with film and shooting manually, as you might know. So, I would respect a serious self taught hobbyist that's unpublished but is an excellent photographer, more than a youngin that doesn't respect the craft, even if they get an assignment for Time.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,400,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Travel costs have to factored into a "volunteering situation"
Not necessarily. There is a such thing as virtual volunteerism as I have just found. I've already applied to several non-profits through VolunteerMatch.org and I've gotten 3 responses so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment