Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,453,178 times

Advertisements

Just keep going back, when the employer sees your face every other week, it shows you have interest.
Do not, I repeat, Do not fil out on line applications.
They do not look at them

I drive a truck, everywhere they ask drivers, but I wanted to work for one certain company.
With at that time 24 years experience it took 18 months. I walked every other week in the office, they finally hired me.
Not because I am a bad driver, they had 8 drivers, and none where leaving, He bought another truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM

64 posts, read 134,886 times
I was going to suggest volunteer somewhere until you land a job, because you can put that on your resume. But other people suggested that.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,430,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwEETGirl09 View Post
I applied to 10 different jobs, 5 were at McDonalds while the others were at Kmart, Walmart, Sears, Target, Toys R Us.

When filling out the applications I left the job history/employment sections BLANK. Because my parents have told me that since I have NO JOB EXPERIENCE what so ever to leave the job sections BLANK.

Then I will get called in for an interview. I did as they suggested and its been a week since I applied and no word from any of those jobs.

Whereas my friend goes to a fast food place see's a HELP WANTED sign and fills out an application on the spot and gets a call for an interview a few days later.

So I don't know what I am doing wrong here but everyone else is either getting jobs or at least an interview while nothing is popping up on my end.
I haven't read the whole thread so not sure if someone else touched in this, but the "Help Wanted" sign in the window implies either a smaller company or one that does its own hiring if it is part of a corporation. The application went directly into the hands of the decision maker whereas the applications you are putting in likely are screened, etc before getting to the decision makers. Seems like your friend was in the right place at the right time.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,430,472 times
An interview is one step closer. And if you are paying attention in the interview you will be able to tell the areas that the person doing the hiring has issues with regarding your answers, experience, etc. So you get the interview and you fill int he gaps.....

Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,286,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Bad idea. Potential employers usually ask for references and if you lie about working someplace, you'll be revealed as dishonest when they check it out. NOT what they are looking for. Better to advertise your reliability, good grades, extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, etc. if you're young and looking for your first job.
Agreed if were talking about a legit job. Walmart, Target, these big companies aren't calling references. Hell last I checked they don't even have a reference section. Play up that you have good customer service skills or anything. A blank "work history" isn't going to get you anywhere. A small ma and pa business sure, but not every place even has these anymore.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,141,877 times
That is work experience. Put it down. Anything is better than nothing.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,453,178 times
Quote:
I guess so.
Quote:
Yeah I know
truck driver guy I have heard people do that for some jobs they go back or call again and again and again and they get a job. I have done that as well and still no luck.
Quote:
Yeah .
Quote:
I guess....
Talking or writing like that shows one thing, a person who could care less... better work on it.
And... I did write that it took 18 months... You might have walked in, smoking a cigarette, kicking a trash can...

It is al about presentation.
There is always a career in collecting SS....

Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,641,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Having absolutely no work experience by your own admission (from the application) puts you at the bottom of the list. Why would they call you if there are others applying that do have at least some experience? I would list any kind of experienced, paid or not, part time, or even work chores around the house. You need to provide the potential employers with some kind of reason to consider you. Even when they have openings, they are not begging for warm bodies to work there. They are still going to hire the best qualified person. For McDonalds and the like, showing responsibility with handling cash, being able to work with others as a team, enjoying working with and helping people, and talking about how you are prompt and always do your best could help.

So what you're saying is that unless someone has some work experience they'll never get a job?

So if someone just graduated high school what should they do? or do they start hiring at age 10? so by the time one is done with high school they have ample work experience!

Your "warm body" comment was flat out insulting.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:57 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,410,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The purpose of volunteering is not close a resume gap. People should do it because they enjoy it.
I disagree.

You can volunteer to gain experience, network, try an industry to see if you like it or just to close a resume gap. When I first started freelance writing, I volunteered free work for small businesses just for the testimonials. And it worked!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,641,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I disagree.

You can volunteer to gain experience, network, try an industry to see if you like it or just to close a resume gap. When I first started freelance writing, I volunteered free work for small businesses just for the testimonials. And it worked!
Who paid for your gas to go volunteer? or your bills while you were volunteering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment