Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Attitude means nothing with some people. You can puff yourself up as wide as you want with "attitude" and they will still be stubborn and thwart you. The woman was in a position where she could get away with it and she did.

First your argument was that you were going to handle the situation by tattling to your boss:

The above tactic certainly doesn't sound like "alpha" to me. LOL! Now we're on to some chest beating with your supposed "alpha" personality overpowering her.

If she was in a position way above you, face it, she would do the same thing if she felt like it no matter what a little "alpha" you think you are.

You cannot "alpha" someone into doing something they don't want to do who is way higher up the org chart than yourself.
Sounds like someone's got one of those attitudes that keeps them from getting things done.....the kind of attitude that ends up whining because it's not THEIR fault, because someone was just a big ole meanie!

Tattling?........ oh sweetie, it's a matter of laying out the facts, plain and simple. Tattling is simply going to the person who sent you and whining to them. NOTIFYING her that it has been duly noted and you'll simply pass that information along....that's called laying the cards on the table.

As for "what a little alpha I am"? LOL....you have nooooo idea. You, on the other hand.....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I think it's more of taking the initiative, courage-up and get what's needed. What's the worse that could happen? She certainly cannot fire you for knocking on her door.
Exactly! But then again......she IS a big ole meanie, whom everyone is afraid of. She's probably just someone who gets things done and THAT is why she is in the position that she's in.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Sounds like someone's got one of those attitudes that keeps them from getting things done.....the kind of attitude that ends up whining because it's not THEIR fault, because someone was just a big ole meanie!

Tattling?........ oh sweetie, it's a matter of laying out the facts, plain and simple. Tattling is simply going to the person who sent you and whining to them. NOTIFYING her that it has been duly noted and you'll simply pass that information along....that's called laying the cards on the table.

As for "what a little alpha I am"? LOL....you have nooooo idea. You, on the other hand.....LOL
Resorting to personal attacks and calling people "sweetie" when you cannot make your point? Oh, how clever! I see I am wasting my time.

How old are you? Seriously ...

You have convinced me of something I was unsure of and was willing to give you a shot: No, you would definitely not get the document, although I had hoped you might make a convincing argument that you would.

You have also convinced me of something else: You would get fired at the executive's request.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Resorting to personal attacks and calling people "sweetie" when you cannot make your point? Oh, how clever! I see I am wasting my time.

How old are you? Seriously ...

You have convinced me of something I was unsure of and was willing to give you a shot: No, you would definitely not get the document, although I had hoped you might make a convincing argument that you would.

You have also convinced me of something else: You would get fired at the executive's request.
Yes, you are wasting your time. I am utterly convinced that you have no argument whatsoever. As for being fired at the executive's request....LOL, not likely. I would, however, have either had that document in hand or she would have told me WHY I was returning without it....of THAT, you can be absolutely sure. More than likely, she also would have been asking, "Who was that woman again? I LIKE her! She's going to go FAR! She gets things DONE!" More than likely, she would be making me HER assistant!!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes, you are wasting your time. I am utterly convinced that you have no argument whatsoever. As for being fired at the executive's request....LOL, not likely. I would, however, have either had that document in hand or she would have told me WHY I was returning without it....of THAT, you can be absolutely sure. More than likely, she also would have been asking, "Who was that woman again? I LIKE her! She's going to go FAR! She gets things DONE!" More than likely, she would be making me HER assistant!!
This is too funny!

It is the post of the day under the "egomaniac" category!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
My boss who wanted the document is two levels below the lady I tried to get it from so hearing his name means nothing to her. She is like a Two Star General. My boss is a Major and I am a Captain.
Captain! Your the grunt.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
This is too funny!

It is the post of the day under the "egomaniac" category!
Or......hmmmm, a bit of confidence and knowing one's capabilities? It's not my fault that you are incapable of intelligent persuasion. Clearly, that is not everyone's strong suit.

Look, I deal with doctors. Yes. Doctors. Anyone who has dealt, on a professional level, with doctors knows, that you've never met anyone more controlling and unwavering as some of these doctors can be. However, when one is intelligent enough and "confident" enough.....they can be "handled"....quite easily, I might add. After all, they are simply human beings who have specialized in medicine.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
First, Did you knock? Also, Seems like you are being used by both these folks who are not at all professional. You sure you want this job?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Are you Mr. Spock's attorney? humm, no I don't have knowledge of EVERY workplace in the DC area but I am familiar with the DC workplace culture and my post was in response to Mr.Spock saying I couldn't possibly understand his situation because he was in the DC area , well newsflash I also work in the DC area and what he has described is something I have never experienced nor has anyone that I know.
I am not an attorney. So because you and your friends have not experienced it, then it could not have possibly happened(?). That is like saying my friends and I have never been sexually harrassed in the workplace, therefore it just does not happen.

Is it possible there may be a small number of workplaces that are less professional than the prevailing DC workplace culture? Our nation's capital is a fairly large metropolis as you know.

We agree to disagree.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:57 AM

225 posts, read 344,605 times
It depends on whether your boss was above or below her. If he was below her, he put you in the position of doing his dirty work which sucks, but it was still your responsibility. If you couldn't get it from her, you should have spoken to her secretary and asked that she go in and interrupt this rude employee (don't call her rude). Then it would have been up to the secretary to get it to you.

However, if he was above her, you had every right to walk up to her when she didn't respond. I would have walked up to her computer and stood there. If she didn't acknowledge me, I would have asked her if she could make time, or if she would like me to turn off the computer.

Then, I would relay to her in no uncertain terms, that Mr. so-and-so asked for the XYZ report and wants it on his desk in 20 minutes. If she didn't have it on his desk, I'd be at her side in 21 minutes. If you have taken a job for someone above her, it's within your rights to do what you have to (as long as it isn't ethically or morally wrong) to get your job done.

If that fails, call *her* supervisor and complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment