Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times

Advertisements

My GF is up for a job. She was told to expect an offer on Monday. She had a phone interview and an in person. The guy was really impressed with her and besides the job he is hiring her for, he said he would like to use some of her skills for other projects. She's been out of work in her field for close to 4 years so this is a great opportunity. The job is a 100 mile round trip from our house, but she would only have to go in 2-3 times a week, the rest of the time she will work from home. During the phone interview, the guy asked about salary and she said $15/hour - he said that was in "the range." She hasn't been working in the field a while and is a bit desperate, so she gave him that figure. We are in Florida, so $15/hour is not that bad. At her previous job she was making $20/hr and that was in CT.

I need some advice on how to negotiate this. I'm afraid he might offer her $12. Around here all the jobs offer $8, so it wouldn't be surprising. She has a BA degree, experience (just not recent) and he really liked her. He wants her to start by redesigning their website and she spent all of last week coming up with designs that she showed to him at the interview and he seemed to like. It's a international company and they do designs for entertainment centers (think mini-golf, bowling alleys, theme parks etc). She will still take $12/hr but obviously we would like to get $15. How is an offer negotiated? I've never negotiated an offer before. Would it be too crazy to ask for $18 if he does offer $15?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Based on what you related I expect that she will get an offer of $15. If the offer is lower she should ask about their compensation practices re increase of pay. It may be that if she accepts a lower offer that she is eligible for a raise in 6 months, for example.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
Also, if he comes in under her target of $15/hour, she could negotiate other benefits. For example, maybe she'd only come in once a week instead of twice. Perhaps she could get additional vacation.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
For other answers see the thread Finally found job after 3 years, but how do I negotiate a salary?

Quote:
OK here's the nitty gritty on negotiating salary:

It's my position that you do NOT want to be the first one to give a number (or range).
When you do that, you almost always put your self in a WEAKER salary position. (there's a reason they want YOU to give a number first, and you don't think it's because it HELPS you, do you? No, it helps THEM.

Basically you want to dodge or throw it back to them to give a number first, as many times as you need to -- without ticking them off.

WHY? Because if you give a number first -- you can price yourself OUT and have to backtrack (if you're to high)...or CHEAT yourself out of more salary, if you're too low.

Two friends told me -- after the fact -- that they'd given a number first.
One, I know could have negotiated higher salary. He said he told them 66-thousand and they said OK. Just like that they said OK.
ANYTIME they just jump at your number with no negotiation -- they were ready to pay more. And they know they got lucky and that got you for less. My friend said he's OK with that because he got what he wanted. AND he hoped he'd garnered good will -- because the boss DOES know my friend didn't gouge them. So he might get a raise sooner.

The second friend got lucky because she was going back to a company where she had worked before -- and knew going in they really wanted her. She gave a number first and THEY SAID, "Oh we can do better than that." They gave her more than she even said -- and she'd already asked for more than she thought she'd get. SHE WAS LUCKY they could have just said OK, and NOT paid her more. They could have played games and (lied) and said well that's MORE than we'd planned AND she'd have never known she could have gotten more. (Who does that -- who says we can pay you MORE!)

Basically the goal is get s much money as you can, without making them feel like you're gouging them into MORE than they want to pay. If you do that you run the risk of once you're there -- they're constantly on you because they know they're paying you more than they wanted to, and they'll want to work you like a dog for that money....to make you darn well earn it. AND your performance HAD BETTER be up to par, you'd better hit the ground running, because that's what they're paying for.

Now to negotiation in the interview:
=========================

Many times they ask you first -- "what were hoping to make, what salary were you looking for?", etc.

I ALWAYS throw it back to them with:
-- What range has been budgeted for the position? (that's volley one)

If they give a range or number -- you win. (based on my experience, I hope we can agree on something at the top of that range)

IF THEY DON"T GIVE A NUMBER --
THEM: "That depends on the experience and credentials of the candidates." (They're stalling)
YOU -- "I understand there are factors when determining salary, but can you tell me what salary has been approved for an employee with my experience?" (Volley TWO)

IF THEY GIVE A NUMBER -- you win and say same as above

IF THEY STILL DON"T GIVE a number or range,
Usually at THIS point they're just as good as you are at volleying -- as in, NOT answering and giving a number first. IF they don't give a number now and you throw it back a THIRD time -- they might just get pis sed and think you're evasive and not being cooperative. And you're wasting their time.

So if they toss it back AGAIN -- I'd just give a RANGE.
-- "Well, I'm sure we'll be able to come to agreement "I'm looking for a range from x- to-y." and based on my experience and what I've heard about the duties and responsibilities of the position, I'd expect to be at or near the top of that range.""

SEE WHAT THEY SAY.
They can say:
1) "That's great we're in the same ballpark....."

2) "Well, that is more than we budgeted or were looking at"

(to which you say, "Well salary is only one part of the compensation package....I'm really excited about all we've discussed (about the position) and still confident we can work things out. Is there any possibility more salary could be approved for the position, given the experience and skills I'd bring to the company?" (Heck you might as well ask)

3) We can pay more than that (Don't count on this answer, though)

Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times
typically to avoid getting low balled you shouldn't give a number first

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post28546491

however your girlfriend may be stuck at the $15/hour. given the fact that she's disparate and doesn't have any other offers she may have to take whatever they offer for now. she could negotiate if comfortable. the problem will be that she's not likely to see any major increase in salary over the years when working there if she starts at $15/hr. so she should take what they offer, work for 6 months and then start looking for something closer with a higher salary.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I'd bet they'll offer her $15. If they offer $14, she should ask about a gas allowance to offset the difference. Good luck to her!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone. How do you not give a number if they ask you? Good to hear that you all think he will go $15. She does understand that this will get some recent experience under her belt and she can apply to jobs closer for more money. After 4 years it feels like you'll just take anything! We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Thanks everyone. How do you not give a number if they ask you? Good to hear that you all think he will go $15. She does understand that this will get some recent experience under her belt and she can apply to jobs closer for more money. After 4 years it feels like you'll just take anything! We'll see what happens tomorrow.
You give a range, not a specific number. I would have said $14-18, the chances are very slim that they'd offer the bottom number, and they might have offered more.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
How do you not give a number if they ask you?

I believe my post and others, and the threads we've suggested have SEVERAL 'word-for word' ways to respond to that.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
How do you not give a number if they ask you?

I believe my post and others, and the threads we've suggested have SEVERAL 'word-for word' ways to respond to that.
Yes, sorry, I was on my phone and didn't see that part.

Either way she got the job and he did offer $15, but said that she would be up for an increase in 90 days. So we're happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search