Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,792,332 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm almost 30 and thinking about a career change. I'm interested in technology and computers, so I've been thinking a lot about going into the IT field. I'm not really sure where to start, though. There are some quality IT programs around the area at the community colleges. The thing I want to get a degree in an area that is expanding and not likely to be outsourced or off-shored. Could some helpful people around here point me in the right direction please? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,139,511 times
IT field is a very broad term. It could mean anything from help desk, database design, security, programming, etc. It would be difficult to provide useful advice, unless you specify which area of the IT field.

Last edited by move4ward; 12-01-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm thinking more database, networking, or security.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 PM

567 posts, read 959,963 times
Honestly, anything in I/T has the potential to be offshored.....

Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Honestly, anything in I/T has the potential to be offshored.....
Really? I read programming was was easily outsourced. I didn't know any area could. Which area of IT is most likely to not be if you had to choose?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM

398 posts, read 546,607 times
Okay.... I don't want to rain on the OP's parade. I have two sons who are both in the IT field...tending more towards Telecommunications than anything else. The feedback that I get is that "IT" is a real MINEFIELD as far as employment and career-building goes. Heres some of what I mean.

First off, the very TERM "IT" does not mean the same thing to everybody, everywhere and all of the time. Most notorious are the Educational Institutions who throw the term around like bead-necklaces at Mardi Gras. And it morph-s heavily depending on what resources are available and what the enrollment is. Now...about the employers......

Some companies have dedicated IT staff. These are usually Commercial or Retail entities who may shed or acquire assets. Other than that IT of any kind is usually contracted out. If a company DOES hire PT IT people its usually as Temps and they are cut loose when the project is done.

Advancement in IT is a function a variety of certifications and licences rather than College or University degrees. The certifications (see: Cisco) are expensive and pretty damn labor-intense and don't expect your employer to pick-up the tab. Further once you have even ONE certificate you are expected to keep it current. That comes out of your pocket as well.

Lastly, don't expect a lot of job security in IT. Folks from India, Pakistan, Taiwan and even the PRC can be brought in on VISA-s by the company and will work for a fraction of what you will accept. And if there is a chance to send the job off-shore---well---- hope you speak Indonesian or Malaysian; How's your Tagalog?

Want to get into IT? Hey, go for it, but do so with your eyes WIDE OPEN. The dessert-days of the 70-s, 80-s and 90-s are in the rearview mirror.

FWIW.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,198,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Really? I read programming was was easily outsourced. I didn't know any area could. Which area of IT is most likely to not be if you had to choose?
Programming is easily outsourced. I actually see that as a strong point for programming. I see that we're moving to a model where hands on IT will be outsourced for the most part.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM

97 posts, read 265,986 times
Avoid IT

With outsourcing.. and the huge amount of H1B Visa Indians that will come over here and do the IT jobs for a substantial lower rate than their American counterparts.. also, the Indians run the IT staffing and recruiting circles, so you'll never get in anyway..

Virtualization is also putting a hurting on IT.... That's the dirty part of all this great VMware virtualization technology... reducing servers.. reduces the need for staffing to do the work...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Dang. That's depressing. Thank yall for the honesty.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM

279 posts, read 855,664 times
if you really want to work for IT, find a popular company that wont outsource jobs like city,federal or state jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment