Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I put words into your mouth? Ok, do you know what time it is? "Yes". . . . . .

Despite your reputation, the clarity of your post left quite a bit to be desired in my humble estimation.
Deflection is for those who have no argument.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Why would any rational human being opt to finish out their UI when they could be earning $68 per hour??? Sorry but this sounds fishy to me.
I'm with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not uncommon on wallstreet. Watch squawk box on cnbc in the morning. Kernen talks about this phenomenon all the time.

Here you go... Unemployment & Buffett's Bet on BofA - CNBC
Right, because what happens on Wall Street is such a mirror of what is happening in the real world.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Unemployment Insurance is only a fraction of what a person earned in their previous job prior to being laid off, etc ... No self-respecting American would prefer to receive extension after extension of UI over earning an honest living. I hated being on UI and I applied for jobs like crazy, even jobs that I would normally not consider because I hated the whole UI process and their lack of care with our social security numbers (which was on EVERY piece of document that they sent me. While receiving UI, I worked the limited hours that were available at two of my job sites. The only reason why I got UI is because I was seriously underemployed and was entitled to a portion of the UI that I qualified for. Although I hated receiving UI, I am extremely grateful that it was there to get me out of a difficult situation and allowed me to pay my bills without completely depleting my savings. I know folks who are long term unemployed and believe me, they are depressed as hell that they cannot find work. Folks who qualify to receive extension after extension are likely feeling very demoralized about their situation and would prefer to be working in a heartbeat if someone would just give them a chance.

Regarding those that say just take any ole job:

1. "Any ole job" may pay less than UI benefits and won't pay the bills (UI barely pays the bills)
2. "Any ole job" may keep the person so busy that they are unable to locate work within their field
3. Working "any ole job" may cause the worker to be stuck as they will no longer have relevant recent experience in their chosen profession.
4. Working "any ole job" may cause potential employers to toss their resume in the trash because why would an engineer be working at McDonald's
5. "Any ole jobs" are not readily available because everyone and their mamas are applying (including those with more relevant experience)

AND the number one reason ....

6. Employers at "any ole jobs" tend to not hire the overqualified!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
It's not uncommon on wallstreet. Watch squawk box on cnbc in the morning. Kernen talks about this phenomenon all the time.

Here you go... Unemployment & Buffett's Bet on BofA - CNBC
Wall Street??? I thought we were talking about the average unemployed worker?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
"Why" do you think they CREATED Tiers 1 thru 4 ?

Have you looked out your window lately? Noticed boarded up strip malls, closed businesses, your neighbor suffering because his/her hours were cut, people LOSING their homes because they can not pay their mortgage (because they lost their jobs)

The Tiers were created to help the MILLIONS (15 million at one time) that had no work, no income, no hope and no future.

What do you think these people did with their UC checks? Buy Lobster??

We see more ABUSE of ( some ) food stamp users who buy outrageous foods ( ie; shrimp, filet mignon ) because there are NO restrictions. That is abuse.

NOT people who decide do they pay their gas bill or buy food this week (?) because the UC check is a FRACTION of what they used to earn.

Free Ride? I think not.

Gov'ment assistance like welfare? Did you KNOW for a fact that these UC check recipients did this for 10-20 years of their lives? NO, because you can only draw your limit.

Whereas, you have welfare recipients who only KNOW welfare, the gov'ment subsidies, food stamps and expect the gov'ment to carry them for eternity.

Where are the welfare laws?

Why punish the MILLIONS who WORKED and pass judgement on them when they did not ASK to be part of this brutal economy?
People refusing to work because of it is abuse. How is it punishing them to have additional regulations? It's just reducing abuse. It's not taking away EUC. Unemployed folks will still get their money.

You seem to be misunderstanding my posts.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Wall Street??? I thought we were talking about the average unemployed worker?
Not everyone on wallstreet is a banker. Anyways, they're just as unemployed as the rest of the country.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Not everyone on wallstreet is a banker. Anyways, they're just as unemployed as the rest of the country.
So we must be talking about the bike messengers then, right?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So we must be talking about the bike messengers then, right?
You seem to pick at everything I say in this thread... and really, it's serving no purpose.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You seem to pick at everything I say in this thread... and really, it's serving no purpose.
Then be specific and stop speaking in generalities.
Just whom, exactly, are you speaking of?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Then be specific and stop speaking in generalities.
Just whom, exactly, are you speaking of?
The individuals I was trying to employ were software engineers. But my example isn't the only one. That's why I brought up Jim Rohr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment