Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,815,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If everybody thought like you then this country would be like North Korea...

We'd have no fine art, movies, music, or even yoga instructors, because people would be afraid to take a risk at doing something they love.

Now ... I'm old so I actually think more like you than I used to ...

But I would definitely not encourage the youth to do that.

If I were to do it over again from the very start, I'd be an artist full steam ahead, no apologies, no hesitation...
Some of us in the younger crowd are still trying to pursue our dreams, but it's certainly a bleak outlook. I'm trying to pursue the performing arts (musical theatre probably), but it's so hard to make any money doing that unless you're one of the extremely lucky ones and are obscenely gifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM

165 posts, read 305,776 times
your goal shouldn't be money. your goal should be your dream and some shelter and food. cinematographer here, actually... strike that... auteur i guess since i am now in the middle of writing and in the end thus directing and shooting my story. i know i have it and its rare i can say that about anything but this happens to be the one thing i'm actually good at and understand. only other thing is illustration. i can produce and make some music too but i'm still very amateur at that thus it's not my goal. but i do plan to score most of my film. already have some of it done actually.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,449,857 times
I go for the lifestyle that you want to live. Write down your ultimate lifestyle. How do you see you spending your time. What do you want out of life. Write that all down. remember to be complete including the kind of car you want to drive, house you want to live in, people that you want to spend time with, places that you want to visit.

After creting that lifestyle go after careers, jobs, opportunities that will get you your lifestyle. Forget everything else. Lets say that you want a beach house. Chances are you won't be looking for a career as a school teacher. You have to be realistic with the kind of jobs or opportunities that will give you your lifestyle. If it doesn't provide for you then it is off the list.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,087,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabav8r View Post
Nobody wants to haul trash so I wouldn't consider that a career
You might be surprised!! They are paid very well from what I understand and often have pensions/retirement to boot, plus good medical and benefits.

Our youngest begins middle school next year and it has always been our plan that when that happens I will go to work. I've had this gig as a cushy SAHM for 10+ years. I wouldn't be above being a garbage person if it meant good pay, decent retirement, job security, and benefits.

Doesn't matter how high up you think you get - a broom will always fit in your hand.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,087,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
your goal shouldn't be money. your goal should be your dream and some shelter and food. cinematographer here, actually... strike that... auteur i guess since i am now in the middle of writing and in the end thus directing and shooting my story. i know i have it and its rare i can say that about anything but this happens to be the one thing i'm actually good at and understand. only other thing is illustration. i can produce and make some music too but i'm still very amateur at that thus it's not my goal. but i do plan to score most of my film. already have some of it done actually.
It's essential to follow your dreams absolutely but while you're at it it's also pretty important to pay your bills and have food to eat. Before you get to a place where your dreams can support you, a little grunt work has to be done.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:56 PM

165 posts, read 305,776 times
i agree, that's why i saved up money from my slave wage job. now i have the opportunity to purchase a really great camera, i already have tripods and other equipment. problem is i live in South Florida which has absolutely no film presence. So I'm eyeing a move to either CA or Austin TX. Not sure what I'm doing with moving though. and once I move there I'm going to look for another slave wage job just to pay for rent and food strictly. the rest is going towards my films. I'm done with partying. I'm 25. I want more in life than to be a typical 9-5 with a girlfriend and going to the bar to blow my money. I'm betting my next girl will be an actress or involved in film somehow which will be even better, since i won't be focused on anything but film.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,780,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
You need money in order to achieve your dream, food and shelter.

It's a catch-22.

Just ask any Liberal Arts graduate right now working at McDonalds.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:32 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,490,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I go for the lifestyle that you want to live. Write down your ultimate lifestyle. How do you see you spending your time. What do you want out of life. Write that all down. remember to be complete including the kind of car you want to drive, house you want to live in, people that you want to spend time with, places that you want to visit.

After creting that lifestyle go after careers, jobs, opportunities that will get you your lifestyle. Forget everything else. Lets say that you want a beach house. Chances are you won't be looking for a career as a school teacher. You have to be realistic with the kind of jobs or opportunities that will give you your lifestyle. If it doesn't provide for you then it is off the list.
I disagree with the majority of your posts, but if I could go back and give my 18 year-old self any advice at all, this would be it.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,449,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I disagree with the majority of your posts, but if I could go back and give my 18 year-old self any advice at all, this would be it.
That is amazing because 99% of what I say is always right.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,490,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bnsurprise View Post
that is amazing because 99% of what i say is always right. :d

Last edited by mb919; 07-26-2011 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: smiley didn't work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment