Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,230,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The simple act of hiring someone is an investment of time and money. But that really wasn't my point. My point was that constant job hopping will look bad on a resume.
Most employers have no qualms about laying people off, at the drop of a hat. So why should they expext employees to stay with one company for a long time?? Employees have been forced to look after themselves, especially in today's economy. If another company offers you more money, and a better career opportunity than your current employer, then you might as well take the better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,235,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Most employers have no qualms about laying people off, at the drop of a hat. So why should they expext employees to stay with one company for a long time?? Employees have been forced to look after themselves, especially in today's economy. If another company offers you more money, and a better career opportunity than your current employer, then you might as well take the better job.
When people are laid off, do you want to be the person who hops jobs (and is consequently is one of the first to be laid off), or do you want to be the loyal one (who is one of the last to be laid off)?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,241,436 times
How a company acts towards employees and how a company expects employees to act are not the same. To think so is living in la la land.

I've certainly beaten this one enough, so my last comment will be don't be surprised if a potential employer sees frequent job changes as a negative. You can spin it however you like and say it's not fair and anything else you care to think of, but that doesn't change reality.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM

9,025 posts, read 20,448,959 times
Don't "job hop"! A lot of folks want a better salary, benefits, hours or whatever, but "job hopping" isn't necessarily the answer. My wife had to take a $12k cut in salary for the job she has now, but the benefits at her new job are fantastic (Monday holidays she never had before, Floating Holidays, 4 weeks of vacation during her first year and 5.5 miles from work......no freeway driving). "Job Hopping" is as bad as moving too much. Today, employers not only look at a person job history, they also look at how long you lived in one spot.........that is called "security" that many employers like to see! Just IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I started a job about 3 weeks ago. I like it but I am keeping my eyes open to see if a better one comes up. How long should I have worked at my current job before going to a new job? I want enough time to have worked to show my employer I am a good worker but I if a better job comes up I do not want to miss an opportunity?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,989,753 times
God, do you people ever get tired of groveling and pandering to some "employer" who likely doesnt give a flying furball whether you are even alive? Who cares what employers want. They look out for themselves, and you need to look out for yourself. Simple as that. Sucker them into hiring you and then leave when something better surfaces. If they were so worried about their retention/turnover ratio, they would offer compensation that out competes the competition (employers are always rattling on about job applicants having competitive qualifications. Why dont they compete a little?).

I would be looking for a job now if I were you, and I'd drop your current employer as soon as something better comes along. You neednt think your employer wouldnt drop you if they saw an opportunity to make or save more money. Do you seriously think your employer is sitting around thinking "Hmmm, We sure hope Matt1984 doesnt hold it against us that we lay people off all the time, and have an astronomical turnover rate. I hope he doesnt think we are employee droppers"....? Let me tell you, they dont give a hoot about how you feel about the possibility of being laid off.

Successful employment is a two way street. Like someone else said, the days of employers "investing time and money" into an employee have come and gone. Thats not how it works anymore. Get some confidence in your abilities, and realize that those companies also need to do what it takes to keep YOU, you're not just some obsequious slave laborer pining for their minimal favoritism.

Last edited by solytaire; 02-03-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,230,235 times
Employers really don't give a d*mn about their employees anymore. I was laid off, from a company that gave me nothing but praise. And they told me, that they would never lay me off. Like a fool, I belived them! But I've learned my lesson well-always look out for yourself, because no matter what your employer tells you, you're ALWAYS expendable! So, you should ALWYS keep an eye out for another job, no matter how secure your current job seems.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Its just flat out foolish to pledge a resounding loyalty to employers nowdays. They lull employees into thinking they are needed just long enough to find a "better solution" and secure an outsourcing contract. After they've found a cheaper alternative, you best believe you're on the chopping block. OP, you had better learn to play the game too.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,111,301 times
Here's the easiest way to sum this up....

If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,235,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Employers really don't give a d*mn about their employees anymore. I was laid off, from a company that gave me nothing but praise. And they told me, that they would never lay me off. Like a fool, I belived them! But I've learned my lesson well-always look out for yourself, because no matter what your employer tells you, you're ALWAYS expendable! So, you should ALWYS keep an eye out for another job, no matter how secure your current job seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Its just flat out foolish to pledge a resounding loyalty to employers nowdays. They lull employees into thinking they are needed just long enough to find a "better solution" and secure an outsourcing contract. After they've found a cheaper alternative, you best believe you're on the chopping block. OP, you had better learn to play the game too.
Employers really do care about loyalty. Obviously the business will do what it has to in order to make money, but if you are loyal and can continually prove you are adding value to the company, it will be difficult to be fired. One bad experience does not mean you should be cynical for the rest of your life. Loyalty is rewarded highly in a company. Say a boss has two employees. One decides to stick with the company through hard times, the other has his/her resume plastered throughout the city. Only an idiot would think the boss would treat both employees equally.

That being said, it is foolish to not always have a backup plan. If you get fired/laid off this morning, you should have a few job prospects lined up to have a few interviews tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Being fired, and being laid off are not the same thing. If you have always been an asset to an employer, and still find yourself laid off, then no, loyalty apparently doesnt matter.

And if only idiots would treat employees who stick with them, the same as one who has his resume plastered throughout the city, then apparently a helluva lot of employers are idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment