Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 PM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times

Advertisements

To all those who haven't had a job in months to a couple of yrs, WHERE have you been laying your head at night & HOW have you been paying your bills? How have you been getting medical aid if you don't have insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
I still live in the same place as before - a 2-bedroom apartment in San Francisco, which until recently I shared with a roommate. So far I've been surviving on UI benefits (up to $1900/mo depending on whether or not I've worked), on & off part-time work, selling things, and a little help from my parents... just got private Blue Shield medical insurance, which my father generously offered to pay for, and barely squeaking by on everything else. It's been tough since I live in such an expensive area, but things are going okay for now. I'll probably move to a cheaper place when my lease ends in January, so that will help if I haven't found work by then. I have an interview in the morning, so wish me luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 AM

P.S. I've only been fully unemployed for about 4 months now...

Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Obviously being without income your life will deteriorate from living in your own place to living with friends and relatives to living on the street..
Not sure what kind of job you are looking for but sooner or later some of the more base jobs are going to be your only option, a few examples would be
Restaurant work
Big box store clerk
Delivery driver
Car wash
Golf course maintenance
House keeping in an institution
Warehouse work
Etc
Expect most of these jobs to be at or near minimum wage. You may also want to consider using a full size van as your mode of transportation as its a more comfortable vehicle to live in if your situation gets that bad..
Good luck..

Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 AM

Who are you talking to, jambo? That's some good general advice, I suppose, but not really applicable to my specific situation.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-01-2010 at 05:05 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 AM

Talking to the OP on the topic of how to keep a roof over ones head..

However the logic would apply to anyone who starts drifting into long term unemployment, if you cant find a job at what you were doing or like doing then you'll ultimately have to find a job at anything you can get even if it means washing dishes or floors..
And good luck on that interview.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Talking to the OP on the topic of how to keep a roof over ones head..

However the logic would apply to anyone who starts drifting into long term unemployment, if you cant find a job at what you were doing or like doing then you'll ultimately have to find a job at anything you can get even if it means washing dishes or floors..
And good luck on that interview.
What makes you think those of us who are the long term unemployed haven't tried to get those menial jobs that you think are so plentiful...so we have another one who can't do basic math. It goes like this...for EVERY 1 job available there 5-6 people, that is 5-1=4, soooo a recap here there are still 4 people who are without ANY kind of job no matter if it's a "menial" job or anything else.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
To all those who haven't had a job in months to a couple of yrs, WHERE have you been laying your head at night & HOW have you been paying your bills? How have you been getting medical aid if you don't have insurance?
I will have no roof over my head and will be living in a parkinglot in 20 degree weather. All because of the selfish employed people who won't extend my benefits for another 2 years.

/sarcasm off

Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
What makes you think those of us who are the long term unemployed haven't tried to get those menial jobs that you think are so plentiful...so we have another one who can't do basic math. It goes like this...for EVERY 1 job available there 5-6 people, that is 5-1=4, soooo a recap here there are still 4 people who are without ANY kind of job no matter if it's a "menial" job or anything else.
I'm not saying no ones trying but if the jobs you are applying for arent happening then try something else, or at least dont give up as eventually you maybe that one person in 4 or five to get the job.I've done all those jobs i listed and it took some hussle to get them and while they dont pay much they will keep a roof over your head..

Quote:
I will have no roof over my head and will be living in a parkinglot in 20 degree weather. All because of the selfish employed people who won't extend my benefits for another 2 years.
zz4guy You may now find unemployment a condition worthy of sarcasm and ridicule until one day you maybe in that same unemployed boat watching your precious Republican saviors pass you by without throwing you a life line...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
zz4guy You may now find unemployment a condition worthy of sarcasm and ridicule until one day you maybe in that same unemployed boat watching your precious Republican saviors pass you by without throwing you a life line...
How in the hell is a 2 year paycheck from the government a "lifeline"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment