Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM

58 posts, read 322,866 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to be a cop, firefighter or emt, but those jobs pay decent salaries and obviously are more respected than blue collar jobs. I would be risking my life working as a cop or firefighter, but right now I'm also risking my life every time I contemplate suicide, so becoming a cop or firefighter, at least in my case, does not involve a huge trade off.

Can someone tell me if in this economy it's nearly impossible to become a cop, firefighter or EMT?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM

183 posts, read 469,349 times
Ummm, if you are suicidal I highly suggest you work on that before applying to any of those jobs.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM

30,527 posts, read 52,247,581 times
Yes, I would strongly suggest you seek help... I'm serious, it worries me how often you've mentioned suicide in your threads. I may not know you personally, but I still care when somebody is thinking of taking their life.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:02 AM

58 posts, read 322,866 times
I already sought help and I'm talking to someone on a regular basis but that person is not helping me find a job. I talk to that person for "fun", because I have noone else to talk to, but that person is not really doing anything to improve my life. Neither he nor anyone, with the exception of perhaps a hiring manager, can do anything for me.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM

30,527 posts, read 52,247,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFestus View Post
I already sought help and I'm talking to someone on a regular basis but that person is not helping me find a job. I talk to that person for "fun", because I have noone else to talk to, but that person is not really doing anything to improve my life. Neither he nor anyone, with the exception of perhaps a hiring manager, can do anything for me.
Have you tried medication? And how about volunteering somewhere? I know that doesn't pay the bills, but at least you'd start feeling better about yourself.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,460,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Have you tried medication? And how about volunteering somewhere? I know that doesn't pay the bills, but at least you'd start feeling better about yourself.
Great suggestion, I have done some voulenteer work at a local senior center.
It was very rewarding to both me and the old folks who enjoyed having a younger guy around..
I loved listening to their stories about the bad and good times. As much as they loved telling them. I always left feeling uplifted.

I also tried a local hospice, that did not work for me because I get too emotionaly attached to people.

If your suicidal get yourself Baker acted or just go to a local hospital and tell them your plans they will help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment