Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am sure some of you may remember my post back during the Holiday season about being a seasonal worker at Best Buy. I was wondering if they were going to keep me on after wards as part time or not. They did and my manager said I excelled and was an "exceptional seasonal employee ()" so he decided to keep me on. So that was a good sign, that they see me for how much I love working there.

Anyways, ever since I have been working there, I have been loving my job and the company. I love the company culture and what I do there. In fact, I loved this atmosphere and I loved the business aspect of it that I switched over from secondary education (with a English major) to business. I see potential with this company because technology is evolving all the time and people always want the best of the best. I love seeing the customer satisfied and hearing them tell my manager how I helped them out. Even if I get an angry one, I stay calm but firm and explain why I cannot do what they want. I try my best to help them. If they are angry, they are angry. Nothing else I can do about it. I handle it to the best of my ability. They say I am doing great and I have been getting more hours. In fact, this week I got more hours than a full timer!

So now that I am pursuing a business degree, what else can I do to help increase my chances of getting a "serious career" job with them? I would love to be a manager and eventually become a Store General Manager or part of corporate.

Can any managers or HR people on here let me know what you all look at? I am sure they think good of me but I want them to think GREAT. I want it to be that they can picture me doing the work and picture me as a manager so I can get that promotion. I know I have to start off small and make my way up to being a supervisor to sales manager to assistant manager to general manager and perhaps corporate.

I still have around 2 years before I get my degree so I have 2 more years to show them what I am made of! I plan on giving my 120 percent!

ANY tips would be awesome. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I'd just try to keep positive and be willing to step up and step into what they want you to do.
Retail has such a huge turnover. If you can make it a year, you will be seasoned.

Attitude means a lot. Making the company look good does, too.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Actually Gypsy Soul,

A lot of the workers there have been there for 2+ years now. So that actually does add to the competition. Best Buy is not a bad place to work at. At all.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
First off, don't get too excited about working at Best Buy, you are not Chuck and no hot chick is going to 'con' you into being her secret agent side-kick.

That said, employees at places like Best Buy are expendable and I am sure that the store that you work at has enough applications/resumes on file to staff the store for the next 100 years. You also sound young, and I suspect that this may be your first real job, hence the puppy-love vibe I get between you and Best Buy.

First, the stinger. Retail operations generally do not promote from within, at least not in an upward fashion. This is not the case 100% of the time, but is the general rule. Retail also tends to keep employees locked into the positions that they are best at. So, as long as you show up, you probably will not got fired, but you won't really go anywhere, either. Your reward for being an outstanding employee is to give you more hours, which is not much of a reward if you really think about. "Yeah, Chuck, we are not going to give a decent raise or move you up the corporate ladder to a position where you can make more money by working the same -or less- hours, but since you are such an awesome employee we are going to do you a favor and work you more. In a way it is a raise, right? I mean, you will be making more money."

Right now, you are on the lowest rung. So are many of your co-workers. It would be hard for your fellow worker bees to respect you, and your authority, as a manager. When friends see other friends that they work with become managers, it means only one thing in their eyes: that they can screw off and you won't do anything about it. That, or they become jealous of your new position and don't listen to a word you say. You will also be expected to have the cajones to fire these people. I've been there on both sides of this. It's not fun either way.

As long as you show up everyday, you will remain a worker bee. Brown nosing is not going to get you anywhere.

So, how do you move up? First of all, you are going to need some experience. Any experience. You have a few good opportunities at school, and I suggest you take this advice. Become an editor with your school newspaper. Sounds corny, but the editor's job is to manage their particular section or aspect of the paper and everyone who works in that section. You will be gaining managerial experience by doing this. If working with the school paper is not your thing, then become president or vice president of a student organization/club. If there are no clubs that you want to be a part of, then start your own club and declare yourself president. Or, you can join committees at school. All of these will give you managerial experience at the basic level.

Next, apply for managerial positions at other branches of Best Buy, and more realistically, at completely different types of stores altogether. Fast food, for example, is probably the easiest business to become a manager in. It might not be the environment that you want to work in now, but it will lead to the position that you desire in the future.

You can apply to open managerial positions at the particular Best Buy that you work at, but don't be surprised if you are turned down....or moved to another store.

The best advice is to be persistent. The days of retail (employers) walking you through the promotional ladder ended with the Baby Boomers, for the most part. If you want to become a manager, and eventually work in corporate, you are going to have to make it happen.

By the way, Brad Anderson has a BA in sociology.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would talk with your boss. Let them know you are pursuing your degree and hope to continue working there after.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM

238 posts, read 695,967 times
While pursuing my undergraduate degree, I worked at Best Buy for almost 5 years so I understand the culture... or at least did at the time.

Best Buy does promote its department supervisors and even the shift managers from within. (I've seen this happen many times within my store and our neighboring stores.) Do note that in order for some managers to be promoted they were required to relocate to another store in the district...

I can tell you; however, no part-time employee was ever promoted to any of these positions. If you REALLY want to pursue Best Buy as a career, you need to start working there full-time, designated as a full-time employee. They may still have the tuition reimbursement for full-time employees, you should look into it.

When I was in college, BBY was a great place to work. It was generally a very fun job and I miss all of the free food. I do want to point out though that I think you owe yourself to at least aim for their corporate level... The retail stores eventually lose their appeal, especially once you graduate college.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
While pursuing my undergraduate degree, I worked at Best Buy for almost 5 years so I understand the culture... or at least did at the time.

Best Buy does promote its department supervisors and even the shift managers from within. (I've seen this happen many times within my store and our neighboring stores.) Do note that in order for some managers to be promoted they were required to relocate to another store in the district...

I can tell you; however, no part-time employee was ever promoted to any of these positions. If you REALLY want to pursue Best Buy as a career, you need to start working there full-time, designated as a full-time employee. They may still have the tuition reimbursement for full-time employees, you should look into it.

When I was in college, BBY was a great place to work. It was generally a very fun job and I miss all of the free food. I do want to point out though that I think you owe yourself to at least aim for their corporate level... The retail stores eventually lose their appeal, especially once you graduate college.

Good luck!
Wow. Thanks for your input. If you don't mind my asking, what did you do there for 5 years? Part time sales? I would seriously consider going full time but I go to school in a city that is an hour away. I cannot even begin to think about working full time unless I do one or 2 classes.

They do have tuition reimbursement for full timers. It is just that I have no idea if I can handle it or not. Perhaps if I finish up school and then take it from there while working part time for the next 2 years, it might be better.

When were you in college?

Thanks for the input! I am very very grateful!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 PM

238 posts, read 695,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Wow. Thanks for your input. If you don't mind my asking, what did you do there for 5 years? Part time sales? I would seriously consider going full time but I go to school in a city that is an hour away. I cannot even begin to think about working full time unless I do one or 2 classes.

They do have tuition reimbursement for full timers. It is just that I have no idea if I can handle it or not. Perhaps if I finish up school and then take it from there while working part time for the next 2 years, it might be better.

When were you in college?

Thanks for the input! I am very very grateful!
I worked on the sales floor in PCHO (PC Home Office) for about a year and then worked in the Geek Squad Precinct for another 4 years as an agent. I was employed at the store part-time for the majority of the time but had stints of full-time work as well.

I just graduated back in '09 so I haven't been out of that circle for too long.

If the job is an hour away and you can't work 40 hrs a week, then definitely prioritize your education! When you are at work, strive to achieve those MVP awards and make sure your GM knows your name. He/she may be able to push your resume up through their contacts to corporate once you graduate.

While you may want to consider this your primary goal, also make back-up plans in case the company falls on hard times, you have a change of heart, etc. One year out of college and I'm already making more than an assistant manager's maximum pay range, many of which are in their 30s or 40s. Just food for thought.

WikiAnswers - What is the salary range of a store manager at Best Buy

Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,631 times
Default Glass half-full

Best Buy CEO Brian Dunn started out as a sales associate in 1985 and worked his way up. He has no higher educational background and worked at a grocery store before coming to BBY after high school.

Work hard, stick it out, and good things will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
First off, don't get too excited about working at Best Buy, you are not Chuck and no hot chick is going to 'con' you into being her secret agent side-kick.

That said, employees at places like Best Buy are expendable and I am sure that the store that you work at has enough applications/resumes on file to staff the store for the next 100 years. You also sound young, and I suspect that this may be your first real job, hence the puppy-love vibe I get between you and Best Buy.

First, the stinger. Retail operations generally do not promote from within, at least not in an upward fashion. This is not the case 100% of the time, but is the general rule. Retail also tends to keep employees locked into the positions that they are best at. So, as long as you show up, you probably will not got fired, but you won't really go anywhere, either. Your reward for being an outstanding employee is to give you more hours, which is not much of a reward if you really think about. "Yeah, Chuck, we are not going to give a decent raise or move you up the corporate ladder to a position where you can make more money by working the same -or less- hours, but since you are such an awesome employee we are going to do you a favor and work you more. In a way it is a raise, right? I mean, you will be making more money."

Right now, you are on the lowest rung. So are many of your co-workers. It would be hard for your fellow worker bees to respect you, and your authority, as a manager. When friends see other friends that they work with become managers, it means only one thing in their eyes: that they can screw off and you won't do anything about it. That, or they become jealous of your new position and don't listen to a word you say. You will also be expected to have the cajones to fire these people. I've been there on both sides of this. It's not fun either way.

As long as you show up everyday, you will remain a worker bee. Brown nosing is not going to get you anywhere.

So, how do you move up? First of all, you are going to need some experience. Any experience. You have a few good opportunities at school, and I suggest you take this advice. Become an editor with your school newspaper. Sounds corny, but the editor's job is to manage their particular section or aspect of the paper and everyone who works in that section. You will be gaining managerial experience by doing this. If working with the school paper is not your thing, then become president or vice president of a student organization/club. If there are no clubs that you want to be a part of, then start your own club and declare yourself president. Or, you can join committees at school. All of these will give you managerial experience at the basic level.

Next, apply for managerial positions at other branches of Best Buy, and more realistically, at completely different types of stores altogether. Fast food, for example, is probably the easiest business to become a manager in. It might not be the environment that you want to work in now, but it will lead to the position that you desire in the future.

You can apply to open managerial positions at the particular Best Buy that you work at, but don't be surprised if you are turned down....or moved to another store.

The best advice is to be persistent. The days of retail (employers) walking you through the promotional ladder ended with the Baby Boomers, for the most part. If you want to become a manager, and eventually work in corporate, you are going to have to make it happen.

By the way, Brad Anderson has a BA in sociology.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory777 View Post
Best Buy CEO Brian Dunn started out as a sales associate in 1985 and worked his way up. He has no higher educational background and worked at a grocery store before coming to BBY after high school.

Work hard, stick it out, and good things will happen.
This is the best, if basic, answer thus far. If you want to move up, your best bet is to do your best, and your managers should know you are as well. Don't just sit back and wait for a promotion to happen either. If you're performing well, ask your supervisor/manager about potential for promotions or openings at an evaluation, meeting, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment