Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,847,049 times

Advertisements

Fwiw, most accountants or CPAs aren't much chop with the actual nuts and bolts bookwork. That's not what an accounting major is FOR frankly.

It's been quite a while but from memory when I did my degree I think we had "bookkeeping" the first semester and that was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,372 times
OHHH...one more thing......OFFSHORING ACCOUNTING WORK TO INDIA IS GOING TO EXPLODE OVER THE NEXT DECADE. mark my words. The new international accounting standards will get every country on the same page and make it easier for companies to offshore accounting work.

If it can be done on a computer......someone across the global can do it for cheaper.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:28 PM

964 posts, read 3,161,793 times
I just want to work with the Fed, IRS, or FDIC

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

government accounting is a pretty good gig.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
I work for the IRS, almost got a job with the FDIC ..The FDIC job sounds more interesting and fun to be honest though.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,333 times
I pointed out on another place that I post that accounting will go to India. They will go with the International accounting standards. It can be done over a computer so it will be gone. A good accountant in India will run you about 6 bucks an hour. Forget paying some CPA 60 to 70k try 13k in India it going to happen it only a matter of when. They are now sending doc review over to India. Putting tons of young lawyers out of work. The ABA is ok with it. Accounting will be next in line. They just do not know it yet.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 PM

How Church's Chicken Outsourced Its Accounting to India

By Linda L. Briggs

Can a large US-based restaurant company with sales of over $1 billion a year securely outsource its entire accounting functions to a provider in India -- and in doing so slice accounting costs in half?

"My accounting staff is a controller and an assistant controller... necessary to manage the [outsourcing] contract," according to Dusty Profumo, CFO of Church's Chicken, a fast-food company with 1,546 locations -- some franchised, some directly owned -- in the United States and 16 other countries. Under a new outsourcing contract, Profumo now works not with US staff, but with 30 or so employees of an India-based service provider.

In January 2007, Church's finalized its move to outsource its entire finance and accounting systems to WNS Global Services, a company that provides offshore business process outsourcing services, most of it through facilities in India.

....Still, he concedes, there's a price in having essentially the entire accounting department offshore. "It's not the same as having them right down the hall, believe me," Profumo acknowledges. "I've been in those situations and I prefer to have them right down the hall, but you can't [do that] and expect the savings that we're getting. It's just not going to work. It's a small price to pay for a very significant economic saving."

How Church's Chicken Outsourced Its Accounting to India

Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
This thread was about the ENTRY LEVEL market for students with an accounting degree in 2010.

Also $36/hr isnt really that much if you have more than 5 years in the industry.
Well considering I am not an "accountant" nor a CPA-- I think that the salary I get plus all of the additional benefits/bonuses/reimbursements/profit sharing/incentive bonuses that push me well over the 36.00 an hour are pretty unparalleled to most of my peer group. I do not know many accountants working at firms who make more than I do even after 5 years.

My point is that with an accounting degree you are not going to just have to look for entry level accountant jobs-- there are many careers where you can easily leverage an accounting/finance background.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Fwiw, most accountants or CPAs aren't much chop with the actual nuts and bolts bookwork. That's not what an accounting major is FOR frankly.

It's been quite a while but from memory when I did my degree I think we had "bookkeeping" the first semester and that was it.
I think some people don't understand just how many areas of accounting there really are.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,793 times
Quote:
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

government accounting is a pretty good gig

It is. Good pay, excellent benefits, and good way of relocating.

Quote:
I work for the IRS, almost got a job with the FDIC ..The FDIC job sounds more interesting and fun to be honest though.
Really? What kind of work do you do with the IRS and what's it like working with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment