Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,138 times

Advertisements

I moved to Texas then Minnesota. But, I returned to Wisconsin. Why? Because of the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings. I'm not kidding. I hate having to listen to Cowboy and Viking fans blathering on about their teams. Seriously, this was one of the main reasons.

The other reason was lack of jobs in my profession in both places I moved to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Great post! I'm for lots of trees, green versus brown and dry!
Thanks! Me too..

I forgot to mention this as well...
Montana has no sales tax.
Which is nice. If something is $1.99, it really is $1.99.

But real estate and rentals are a little higher here than in Northwest Wisconsin.
I think it all sort of evens out to the same in the end.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncanus View Post
I moved to Texas then Minnesota. But, I returned to Wisconsin. Why? Because of the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings. I'm not kidding. I hate having to listen to Cowboy and Viking fans blathering on about their teams. Seriously, this was one of the main reasons.

You have to be a pretty big football fan for that to be a factor. lol

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM

122 posts, read 288,454 times
For those of you thinking of moving to NC think again. I'm originally from Green Bay, college at River Falls but have lived in IA for the past 13 years. My hubby and I just moved to the Raleigh/Durham area last year. There are some things you should know about this area. It is NOT the land of milk and honey no matter what you read. The Research Triangle is not immune from the problems of a weak economy. Unemployment here is higher than the national average, last I heard. Everyone on the NC board suggests having a job lined up before you consider moving there and that is definitely advice well taken!

We moved here because my hubby lost his job and then got an opportunity here. It took me 5 months to find a job at a 50% paycut and I consider myself fortunate. I'm in biotech. There are many scientist types out of work and all competing for the same jobs. Its scary. There are PhD scientists here applying for entry level laboratory technician jobs!

It is much more expensive to live here. That was a shock. Sales tax is almost 9% in some areas. Property taxes, real estate, everything is more expensive here.

But these aren't even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is this feeling of hostility towards outsiders, particularily towards northerners. It is the south. You figure, everyone flocked here for a better life and basically wrecked what they had going. I watched it all happen in western WI myself, as all the Minnesotans moved across the border for cheap and plentiful real estate. Look at what happened to Hudson!

So, if you really want to move here, be prepared for the not-so-warm-welcome. Just sayin. And they do not move too fast around here. No one seems to care about how well a job gets done, particularily in service industries. Now I understand what is meant by the "midwestern work ethic." I didn't get that before. Personally, I can't wait to get the hell outta here and move back to either WI or IA and I will. As soon as I can get my plan together, it'll happen. Cold doesn't bother me.

All I can say is that if you really think this is the place for you, go check it out first and really explore it before doing something you might regret later.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM

160 posts, read 454,566 times
I grew up on an 80 acre farm just out of Dresser, WI. In the 80's I moved to Minneapolis (just 50 miles away) and cried for a month. People were so different in the big city and if you waved at someone....god forbid you were gay or something geeze.

Anyway, 25 years later I live 30 miles NW of the twin cities, but my heart will ALWAYS be in Wisconsin. (my folks still own the farm so I get to visit a lot!)

As far as the weather, I've made a decision to be a snowbird. Right now I only go about 10 days a year down south in early January. I just got back from Georgia/Alabama yesterday. It helps get through the winter up here, but by the time I turn 50 (about 4 years) I WILL have it figured out, and plan to be down south from early January until mid March.

I'm not saying don't move, but if you like the beauty of the midwest (do you?), move somewhere else up north and go south for the winter. You'll get all kinds of diversity! Ever consider being a snowbird? Don't say you can't do it....if you do that, you've already been defeated.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,204 times
If left Wisconsin and came to Florida..a very long time ago. It was "Home" from the first day I arrived. (oh had been here on vacation prior)
I think my "guardian angel" sent me here.
I found my carreer and was successful at at.
I married and raised my kids here.

I do not and never did like the cold. I would die if I ever had to go back there. I used to mentally hibernate all winter and only woke up in the Spring. I hate wearing a lot of clothes...I think I am a Pore Breather.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
As Dave Barry might say, "Pore Breather" would make an excellent name for a rock band.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncanus View Post

Personally, I don't care about NFL. I prefer baseball and soccer.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM

47 posts, read 97,204 times
Overall, I'd say the Raleigh area is probably "average" for it's amenities, lifestyle, economy etc. The culture is certainly not overly friendly around here.. and I can't understand what Raleigh gets all of the unwarrented "hype" that it gets in the news, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
For those of you thinking of moving to NC think again. I'm originally from Green Bay, college at River Falls but have lived in IA for the past 13 years. My hubby and I just moved to the Raleigh/Durham area last year. There are some things you should know about this area. It is NOT the land of milk and honey no matter what you read. The Research Triangle is not immune from the problems of a weak economy. Unemployment here is higher than the national average, last I heard. Everyone on the NC board suggests having a job lined up before you consider moving there and that is definitely advice well taken!

We moved here because my hubby lost his job and then got an opportunity here. It took me 5 months to find a job at a 50% paycut and I consider myself fortunate. I'm in biotech. There are many scientist types out of work and all competing for the same jobs. Its scary. There are PhD scientists here applying for entry level laboratory technician jobs!

It is much more expensive to live here. That was a shock. Sales tax is almost 9% in some areas. Property taxes, real estate, everything is more expensive here.

But these aren't even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is this feeling of hostility towards outsiders, particularily towards northerners. It is the south. You figure, everyone flocked here for a better life and basically wrecked what they had going. I watched it all happen in western WI myself, as all the Minnesotans moved across the border for cheap and plentiful real estate. Look at what happened to Hudson!

So, if you really want to move here, be prepared for the not-so-warm-welcome. Just sayin. And they do not move too fast around here. No one seems to care about how well a job gets done, particularily in service industries. Now I understand what is meant by the "midwestern work ethic." I didn't get that before. Personally, I can't wait to get the hell outta here and move back to either WI or IA and I will. As soon as I can get my plan together, it'll happen. Cold doesn't bother me.

All I can say is that if you really think this is the place for you, go check it out first and really explore it before doing something you might regret later.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 AM

620 posts, read 1,838,268 times
I visited Raleigh a couple years ago and would have to agreed with posters. I guess I was expecting 'more'; not sure exactly what, but it did not live up to my expectations. I'd like to check other areas of the state out. I think people look to it for the scenic beauty without perhaps considering other factors. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin