Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 PM

28 posts, read 109,256 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I are looking at houses in the lake country area. Delafield is pretty high on my list and we've recently found a house that might check most/all of our boxes. The biggest question mark for us is the school district. We know that they've typically been among the highest in the state. However, the Kettle Moraine school district has been working on implementing Summit Learning (apparently self paced and tech heavy) starting in their middle school. We've ready some pretty negative reviews on this system. My wife is a teacher and has a good finger on the pulse of education in the area. We both have concerns about this system but we admit we don't know the whole story. Our 2 kids will be going into kindergarten and 2nd grade next year and plan to stay in the same district through their graduation. We want to make sure we're comfortable with what we decide for our kids.

So, how is it? Do kids seem to be taking to this system? Are teachers approving of the instruction style? Is there a future for this system? I understand there's a way to opt out; how does that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:03 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiben View Post
Hi all,

My family and I are looking at houses in the lake country area. Delafield is pretty high on my list and we've recently found a house that might check most/all of our boxes. The biggest question mark for us is the school district. We know that they've typically been among the highest in the state. However, the Kettle Moraine school district has been working on implementing Summit Learning (apparently self paced and tech heavy) starting in their middle school. We've ready some pretty negative reviews on this system. My wife is a teacher and has a good finger on the pulse of education in the area. We both have concerns about this system but we admit we don't know the whole story. Our 2 kids will be going into kindergarten and 2nd grade next year and plan to stay in the same district through their graduation. We want to make sure we're comfortable with what we decide for our kids.

So, how is it? Do kids seem to be taking to this system? Are teachers approving of the instruction style? Is there a future for this system? I understand there's a way to opt out; how does that work?
Keep in mind that a lot of the fears/complaints about STEAM heavy learning, common core, etc. are overblown.

You would simply network with the local school(s) in question for such specific, granular level details. Especially on the admin side. Also contact the PTO for local parents/teachers to speak with.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 AM

28 posts, read 109,256 times
We're going to an open house that explains some of what the system is about. I'm also doing a during school hours walk through soon. Hopefully that will help shed some light.

We've reached out to people in the community in other ways too. There's some pretty bad stuff said about the school district. But, I realize that people usually don't scream from the mountain top that they're happy. It's just more common to hear complaints. That said, it's hard to ignore.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 AM

400 posts, read 573,529 times
My experience with Kettle Moraine has been through sports - my kid's team plays them a couple times a year. If we could find a way not to schedule them anymore, we would gladly do it. Poor sportmanship (both players and parents) and cheap shots are typically what we encounter. Last year, a KM parent had a drone over the field recording the game. One of our parents asked him to stop, since it was distracting to the kids. He blew us and started yelling. In the next game with them, one of their players wound up and took a baseball swing at one of our players stomach with his lacrosse stick. He knocked the wind out of the kid, it was a scary moment until he was able to breathe again and walk off the field.

I'm not a believer in picking school districts on sports performance. I could care less what the win/loss record is. But when you see incidents like this, it says something about the culture of the team and likely the culture of the school as well. This is just one random observation, but may be something to be observant about when talking to people in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin