Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Totally agree. I think those in the industry know this is a temporary slump. It is definitely not a bust. Nothing wrong with a little slow down so everyone can catch their breaths. I know several people who work in the oil industry in Williston, and they said so far everything is still running strong up there. I'm guessing if the prices don't come up this spring or summer, there will need to be some cut backs temporarily. But OPEC can't hold out much longer either. They can produce oil a lot cheaper than we can, but their economies and governments rely almost completely on the price of oil. I wonder why the media doesn't talk about the affects on the OPEC countries? We just hear the "sky is falling" stories about the US shale boom that they seem to be hoping will go bust.
I don't remember where I read it, nor how true it was, but I read an article talking about this being an artificial low created by OPEC and the big oil countries to intentionally bust the smaller companies and slow down production in the U.S.. If they could bust the. small man, they could create an unstable situation that would make them afraid to restart, hence, keep production in the U.S. at a lower level. It mentioned that production, if left unchecked, would give the U.S. too much leverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 12:55 PM

412 posts, read 546,017 times
Quote:
Totally agree. I think those in the industry know this is a temporary slump. It is definitely not a bust. Nothing wrong with a little slow down so everyone can catch their breaths. I know several people who work in the oil industry in Williston, and they said so far everything is still running strong up there. I'm guessing if the prices don't come up this spring or summer, there will need to be some cut backs temporarily. But OPEC can't hold out much longer either. They can produce oil a lot cheaper than we can, but their economies and governments rely almost completely on the price of oil. I wonder why the media doesn't talk about the affects on the OPEC countries? We just hear the "sky is falling" stories about the US shale boom that they seem to be hoping will go bust.
I agree that there are people that are hoping it will bust. I'm not sure what else to think. On the one hand, I agree with your post, but, on the other hand, I don't think we can ever be too sure.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 PM

123 posts, read 149,574 times
Strongly considering a move that way come April. Getting my CDL permit, and looking to make some real money for a change. I need things booming.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 PM

83 posts, read 99,164 times
Quote:
I would agree they have to be able to keep terrorist away. Especially ISIS who just killed a Saudi Border General. The problem is that Saudi hedged a good amount of oil through at least 2015 and they also have over 700 billion in liquidity. It's a pretty scary situation mixed with domestic operators that will try and drill themselves through the crash. However, that will be tough because at sub $40 outside Texas and Oklahoma, the financing is done. The junk bond and treasury spread is 30%. Nothing good ever happens at this point. I'm also know that the Bakken and Niobrara don't work unless WTI is $80. Sure the sweet spots will work, but not enough to justify smart money. Debt service and some infrastructure costs are not accounted for in many "break even" stats. It's usually the operator or financier realeasing those figures. Neither stands to gain much by calling it what it is... a bad situation where CapEx has to be cut. Jobs Jobs Jobs.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 AM

11 posts, read 17,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Maybe i'm alone, but I'm kicking around the idea of loading up on stocks in the strongest players in the energy business.
Funny I was thinking something similar this week, but instead of stocks it was commodity of oil.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:42 AM

552 posts, read 1,056,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewayne View Post
Funny I was thinking something similar this week, but instead of stocks it was commodity of oil.
Maybe not so funny - I just wrote the same thing on the Corpus Christi, TX forum before swinging by here this morning. Fuel Fix » Houston's daily must-read source for news and analysis on the oil, gas and energy business

Old 01-15-2015, 06:32 PM

52 posts, read 118,036 times
With the price of oil falling to below $45, how has this affected Wiliston's growth?
Are there less people living in Williston now?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathpcg View Post
With the price of oil falling to below $45, how has this affected Wiliston's growth?
Are there less people living in Williston now?
It's certainly a lot less busy. Instead of lots of trucks running day and night, they are just running during the day on US-85. Williston is closing 2 man camps for fire code violations and some of the "mom-and-pop" service companies are laying off. They aren't closing down yet so I think the worst parts of the bust have yet to occur (empty buildings, bankruptcy proceedings, ect.) The debate right now is if this is a temporary price or if we will go back to $80 this year. The financial press has changed their tune and are now talking about staying at these levels for "some time". That could be 6 months or 3 years depending on who you ask. Krazy Kramer won't recommend any oil stocks so the cheerleader effect from CNBC is gone.

I don't see people leave the Bakken just yet other than the ones in the man camps which by definition are temporary housing. If I am here and start seeing "Free Rent" or "Utilities Included" signs on the apartment complexes, then people are actually leaving. There may not be a mass exodus like in the 1980s but it will be steady stream in about 3 months when one or two smaller producers go belly up.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
My company just hired 12 people this past Monday. We have more people quitting than anything else so maybe that has something to do with the new hiring.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
My completely uneducated opinion: Halliburton, Schlumberger, and giants like them as well as those service companies that are contracted with them, should weather just fine...
Schlumberger announced a layoff of 9,000, so it's not weathering just fine:

Fuel Fix » Schlumberger to cut 9,000 employees, including in Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston