Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM

7 posts, read 31,609 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Andale and Wichita. I loved Andale. I lived there in 2002 to 2004. I absolutely loved the school. I felt they had the best school that I've went too. ( I've gone to Holcomb and Pratt schools aswell) Granted, Andale is a very small town, but there's also Colwich, St. Marks, St. Joe that go merge into the same High School. (Renwick school district) They excel in academics and sports, 4A state football champs for the pass couple of years.
Also, My parents live in a wonderful little area south of Kellogg on Maize. It's right next the airport, there's a little noise but you get used to it. My favorite part is watching the planes land and take off. It's in the Goddard school district, which I hear is a pretty good school aswell. I have friends that went there. I love west Wichita. I hardly ever go to the east side. I just feel it's more congested on that side of town. But that's just my opinion.. I'm only 19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM

16 posts, read 86,351 times
Smile Interested in same

Hi there,

My family is moving to Wichita this summer from SC. I have some of the same questions. My husband has taken a job that will take us there. I am unsure which area is best. I thought the NE - Rock Rd. area? Let me know what you find out. I would be interested in any info that will help in choosing a place to live. We have one son still at home - age 11 tomorrow! So finding a safe place with things to do is important to us too.

Thanks and good luck in your search,
Renee

Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 PM

287 posts, read 503,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Anyplace in Wichita except the following areas:
1. NE Wichita between I-135, Hillside, Central and 21st street. Very dangerous area- not even safe to drive through after dark.
2. Planeview. Lots of gangs, thugs and other assorted losers in life.
3. The area on the south side of town known as Oaklawn. Technically it is not part of Wichita but it can be described as "the white man's ghetto". Mostly white trash- the kind you see on Jerry Springer.
Funny how it seems ok to make negative connotations about the white race.
I bet you wouldn't try that with any other race, would you?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneewhitehe View Post
Hi there,

My family is moving to Wichita this summer from SC. I have some of the same questions. My husband has taken a job that will take us there. I am unsure which area is best. I thought the NE - Rock Rd. area? Let me know what you find out. I would be interested in any info that will help in choosing a place to live. We have one son still at home - age 11 tomorrow! So finding a safe place with things to do is important to us too.

Thanks and good luck in your search,
Renee
I have only visited Wichita so I might be off but I think it depends on what you want to spend on a home. The houses on N. Rock Rd near all the shopping seemed very nice, more established and on the higher end (for me anyway). We are looking in Derby off of Rock Rd.

Have you visited the area? We will be moving there this summer. My husband is actually moving up in 4 weeks to start a new job.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 AM

Default Thanks for info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
Funny how it seems ok to make negative connotations about the white race.
I bet you wouldn't try that with any other race, would you?
Hey, I live in SC - I know about not making negative comments about other races! And I know EXACTLY what you are saying!

I keep reading that Andover is a great place. Any thoughts? And the NE - Bradly Fair area - Rock Road - is that somewhere to avoid?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Renee

Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 AM

Thumbs up Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones15 View Post
I have only visited Wichita so I might be off but I think it depends on what you want to spend on a home. The houses on N. Rock Rd near all the shopping seemed very nice, more established and on the higher end (for me anyway). We are looking in Derby off of Rock Rd.

Have you visited the area? We will be moving there this summer. My husband is actually moving up in 4 weeks to start a new job.
We have not visited yet. Not exactly sure when we will make that trip - but within a couple of months I suppose. We are actually looking to rent a townhouse. There seem to be some really nice ones in the Rock Road area. But I keep hearing about Andover. I have heard of Derby, but don't know much about it. Guess I will do some research on it!

Moving is such a pain! I will be so happy when it is behind us and we are settled there!

Thanks!
Renee

Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneewhitehe View Post
We have not visited yet. Not exactly sure when we will make that trip - but within a couple of months I suppose. We are actually looking to rent a townhouse. There seem to be some really nice ones in the Rock Road area. But I keep hearing about Andover. I have heard of Derby, but don't know much about it. Guess I will do some research on it!

Moving is such a pain! I will be so happy when it is behind us and we are settled there!

Thanks!
Renee
I'm guessing, since I"ve only been there once but, if you were on Rock Rd near all the shopping Andover would only be a 10 min drive or less maybe? I could be a little off. I'm live in a large city now and it takes 20 minutes just to get to the store with all the traffic. Everything is very close and easy commute it seems. My husband did his internship there in college and liked the area. Derby is on the S. Rock Rd side. I think it's about 5-7 miles from Wichita.

Good luck!!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 54,289 times
We have been here a year and will be moving as soon as we can sell our house,due to a downsizing. You might consider the 67226 zip area. Over near Rock Rd. and 29th area, NE side of town. Great area, we love it. Or at least until the downsizing

It is clean, low/no crime, great shopping, everything you need. CLose to 96 and easy to get any where. Older neighborhoods with low/no special on the taxes.
We researched the area extensively before buying.
Don't go west...you will be a 'squinter' driving east/west into the setting or rising sun LOL

Old 02-25-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreshowtime View Post
We have been here a year and will be moving as soon as we can sell our house,due to a downsizing. You might consider the 67226 zip area. Over near Rock Rd. and 29th area, NE side of town. Great area, we love it. Or at least until the downsizing

It is clean, low/no crime, great shopping, everything you need. CLose to 96 and easy to get any where. Older neighborhoods with low/no special on the taxes.
We researched the area extensively before buying.
Don't go west...you will be a 'squinter' driving east/west into the setting or rising sun LOL
Thanks! That is actually a zip code that I have been researching and have been interested in from what I was able to surmise on the net. This is near Bradley Fair, is it not? I currently work for Coldwater Creek Clothing in Columbia and would really like to continue working for them once we move. I don't make a lot of money working there, but I enjoy it, love their clothes and high end customer service and the fact that I can get a great employee discount. Bradley Fair looks wonderful and that is where Coldwater Creek is located. We are planning to rent a townhouse at first and I am wondering if you know if the complexes are safe. I have read a few reviews about some of the apartments having drug activity. If you don't know, that is ok. But didnt' think it would hurt to ask. We have an 11 year old, so that makes that extra important to us. Thank you for the information you sent.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,698 times
Ok I've lived in Wichita all my life grew up on the Nothwest side it's ok. After moving away and moving back I moved over to Eastside (Harry and Hillside, Lincoln and Edgemoor, and Harry and Web) . All were pretty rough parts not really for a family. Out of the 3 places KecK left out, you do not want to be on North or South Broadway (any area around) lots of drugs and prostitution. This also means Waco, Emporia, Topeka, and even Main) . Your best bet is Andover and if you cannot afford anything there (which there is cheaper places there to live than you think, you might want to consider Bel Air or Rose Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita