Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 25,528 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just seeking some advice. I have family that moved to the area, but I want an "unbiased" opinion.

On every level, how does it compare to living in NNJ? I have nothing to compare it to. I'm 29 and have lived here all my life. Time to move somewhere!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 AM

My family LOVES it. They are huge into green living, and have businesses based in Asheville, which is all about that. My sister, also from NJ, just moved there in Sept. She has lived in Germany, Arizona, TX...and she is loving it there. Just misses friends, but NOTHING else about NJ and has sworn never to return except for visits. LOL.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM

108 posts, read 383,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNative80 View Post
Hi All,

Just seeking some advice. I have family that moved to the area, but I want an "unbiased" opinion.

On every level, how does it compare to living in NNJ? I have nothing to compare it to. I'm 29 and have lived here all my life. Time to move somewhere!

Thanks!

Having spent the first part of my life in Philadelphia (25 years+ and still have family there), and the second part in CT (30 years), I know all about NNJ!!!
I moved to WNC October of 2008, and can't imagine that it wouldn't be better here on every possible level! Just being able to look up from practically anywhere and see the mountains... I can't tell you how calming that is! A whole different quality of life, and MUCH healthier than NJ!
The natives complain that it is getting crowded, congested and expensive here, but it is NOTHING compared to NJ!
The only thing that might cause hesitation, is if you are a NYC person (I can't imagine, but there are such folks)... there really is nothing like NYC here.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM

I'd miss the city at times, yes, but a quick weekend trip would do it for me. A few hours in NYC and I am fried!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNative80 View Post
I'd miss the city at times, yes, but a quick weekend trip would do it for me. A few hours in NYC and I am fried!
Having been an NYC person and now definitely an Asheville person, I would say that Asheville does a great job of having a personality and culture that may remind you a bit of parts of NYC. There is somewhat of an East Village vibe that Asheville puts their own twist on and it is fantastic and impressive! Not sure how to describe it because I came here to experience all that Asheville is and not replace NYC or change Asheville or anything like that. However, upon my scouting trip here before relocating, I was happy to see see and feel the very unique to Asheville vibe that also reminded me of NYC to a degree. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina