Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

There is also the Kenilworth Inn Apartments in a neat old historic building in Kenilworth - I believe a one bedroom starts at $700, and I believe they allow pets. It's a gorgeous setting in a great neighborhood, convenient to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 102,377 times
Thumbs up I love Asheville, and wish I was there!

I live in California, where you think it would be easy to get great live music. But Asheville and the surrounding little towns have an eclectic funky scene, with a way of getting under your skin. We went to this little place called the Purple Onion in Saluda and heard some great music! We own a vacation rental just outside town and love to go there every chance we get.

Moderator cut: rental advertising website

Old 05-16-2007, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 15,601 times
Weaverville is pretty good. my family and I like it. You can get to asheville in ten to fifteen depending on the traffic on 26. or you could go down merrimon through n asheville. we lived in hendersonville the 1st 2 yrs we came back to nc. Hated hendersonville an fletcher area. weaverville has been berry berry good. n buncombe is ok by us.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:33 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
One more suggestion - Black Mountain. This is a beautiful little town about 20 minutes east of Asheville, but is self-contained in it's own right. It has close-up views of the mountains, and all kinds of really neat little hip galleries, shops, and cafes. It actually reminds me of some cool, primo small town in California. I love it more every time I am there. I have no idea what kind of rentals you would find, but I think you would love the ambiance.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 PM

11 posts, read 34,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
Weaverville is pretty good. my family and I like it. You can get to asheville in ten to fifteen depending on the traffic on 26. or you could go down merrimon through n asheville. we lived in hendersonville the 1st 2 yrs we came back to nc. Hated hendersonville an fletcher area. weaverville has been berry berry good. n buncombe is ok by us.
Why did you hate the Hendersonville and Fletcher areas ?

Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 PM

35 posts, read 144,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post
Have you visited Asheville for a period of time before you considered moving? Asheville isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially for younger people who like some form of entertainment.
WhyDidI,

It's a shame that you are so overtly bitter about liviing in Asheville. I guess that's a big reason why you chose the s/n, too, eh?

Looking at your posting history, it seems you moved to Asheville from Miami. It also seems you post nothing but slurs and bashes against Asheville. I checked all of your posts, and found NO foundation for all this vitriole, other than the mind-numbing mantra of - 'There's nothing to do...'

What's really odd is that your seeming target demographic is THE one that Asheville has proven to be most successful in attracting in the past decade+. In fact, Asheville has been EXTREMELY successful in attracting the ,30 crowd, and in ALL categories of interest. Dozens of recognized magazines have reported this, and Asheville's success in refurbishing their image is a well-played success story for towns/cities across the nation looking for ideas. What's also odd is that you never, EVER show 'why' Asheville is so boring. Exactly WHAT activity does it take to entertain you that Asheville lacks? Surfing in the ocean? Sunbathing on the beach of the Caribbean?

Instead of just being a wet blanket to people truly interested in information, why not man up? Actually tell the facets of Asheville's personality that so bore you, and the facets that you deem so necessary to your interest. be specific. Give details. Provide information.

Or... you could just continue to moan about how lackluster your choice of residence is with zero foundation. Frankly, I found your repetitive posts to be pretty childish, and a seeming attempt to garner attention. Here's your attention, now do something with it. Become a man & tell us all what Asheville needs to add to please you. In other words, focus on someone other than yourself & your own interests. While you're at it, be sure to compare & contrast it to Miami, your seemingly preferred choice of habitation. Specifics would be nice, continued generalites would be boring. It should be enlightening. Step up...

Old 05-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Charles View Post
Why did you hate the Hendersonville and Fletcher areas ?
I just returned from a visit to a 'Garden Festival' in Hendersonville. I found the revitalized downtown to be fascinating. There is certainly something for everyone there. Lotas of various themed restaurants, antique shops, artisans, just about everything.

I did notice in a quick review of city-data that Hendersonville's crime rate is about twice that of the national average, which means that it is about three times the rough average for small western NC towns, I'd guess.

Another thing I noticed while there was a solid presence of Hispanic immigrants in the area. Now, that might indicate a significant immigrant population (legal or illegal), and that sometimes tends to make some people uncomfortable because of the 'cliquish' nature of Hispanic immigrants. Not trying to profile, nor make generalities, but because of the varying factors, Mexican immigrants tend not to assimilate real quickly into the local cultures of many of the southern towns they now populate. Not saying that's a positive or negative, but it does result in some natives being reticent or uncomfortable in the new dynamic.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdnva View Post

I did notice in a quick review of city-data that Hendersonville's crime rate is about twice that of the national average, which means that it is about three times the rough average for small western NC towns, I'd guess.
The Hendersonville crime rate can be somewhat misleading, in my opinion, since it's not really a small isolated mountain town anymore like many others in Western North Carolina. It's really a integral part of the Asheville Metro Area (Buncombe-Henderson-Haywood-Madison Counties) with a population of around 400K and all that entails, good and bad. Especially, with the City of Asheville just a short drive away by interstate highway. I've also noticed the violent crime here tends to be personal as opposed to random or opportunistic.

Did you feel uneasy during you time in Hendersonville? I don't feel as safe as I did 40+ years ago, but I don't feel unsafe either.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,837 times
Default I too want to move to Asheville Area

I am in Atlanta, and Want to move to the Asheville area.

I am looking for the next area that is about to sprout. An area where land is reasonably priced but will blossom in say 5 years. How ever an area with a nearby grocery store, eateries etc. This area shall be within 10 minutes of the interstate, and have a pleasant home town feel to it. A community that one can be proud to be a part of. I enjoy art, gardening, antiquing, a near by Starbucks (5 miles or less, my S.O. LOVES Chai Tea Frapuchino's), and it must also have a home depot or Lowes within 10 miles. A mall within 20-30 minutes. Although not a requirement I also very much enjoy an international diet, particularly Asian in all of it's forms, though I am willing to drive a distance to enjoy this.

Ideally I would love to buy about 2-3 acres. Hopefully to build a small business and a home on (commercial) but still be affordable.

Also being in Atlanta I have noticed where ever there is a large population of latin immigrants (legal and illegal) property values plummet, and crime escalates. Based on what has been said on this thread I would probably want to stay clear of Hendersonville. However I must wonder if this is not the sign of things to come throughout the US. Although they are some great people with great family values, and awesome cuisine when you get the real stuff.

I would also prefer to be in an area that has a family values christian aura to it. I know my county (Cobb County Georgia) is known for very Right Winged stances on things and I like that feel. And if I lost that I would miss it.

I am also an avid motorcycleist and would prefer to be as close to the open 2 lane twisty roads as possible and not have to go through the city to get to them. But most likely due to the area it would not matter where I was it would all be twisty.

Any ideas what satellite towns/counties would fit the bill there?

Thanks for your time.
Wobble.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The Hendersonville crime rate can be somewhat misleading, in my opinion, since it's not really a small isolated mountain town anymore like many others in Western North Carolina. It's really a integral part of the Asheville Metro Area (Buncombe-Henderson-Haywood-Madison Counties) with a population of around 400K and all that entails, good and bad. Especially, with the City of Asheville just a short drive away by interstate highway. I've also noticed the violent crime here tends to be personal as opposed to random or opportunistic.

Did you feel uneasy during you time in Hendersonville? I don't feel as safe as I did 40+ years ago, but I don't feel unsafe either.
According to the stats, most of the reason for the high crime rate is theft & burglary.

As for feeling safe? My experience was during the middle of the day at a festival, so that's not any way to gauge. The comment about crime was based dolely on the stats in the city-data table. However, to be clear, I didn't see ANY negatives about my experience in Hendersonville, other than the possibility of rapidly escalating land prices because of all the people moving there. To me, it looked like a very nice & interesting place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina