Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM

40 posts, read 241,054 times

Advertisements

For a little background information, I am looking at living in the Waynesville/Asheville area in about 6 months or something along that line. Well, for right now, I'm in and out of town a good bit, just about every week. The place I rent is in Waynesville area, and the job is Asheville(Arden).

For anybody that wants to know a little bit about the roads. I found out that I do not want to get a place that requires me to use Ext. 44 on the West bound side. This exit is on the west of Asheville. The job I have, I get off at about 5:30 in the afternoon, and consistently I see this exit backed up on a regular basis around the time I pass through, which would probably be a little before 6 pm or so.

The road construction there on 40, one of the guys at work said that they have a general guideline of having to work from 6 pm to 6 am. It would seem nice if they could shove it back, but I don't know, I haven't been around the area to long, just something I note right off.

The trip yesterday from Tennessee to the place in Waynesville was nice. It was cold and I liked seeing the snow topped mountains, even though the snow has already went away today. I think the areas people like around Asheville are all the outside areas. I have driven down around Brevard and that area looked nice. I went north of Asheville and it was ok, and also east of Asheville. So you can probably understand why I like these areas more, I think I like the mountainous setting.

So I figure other people want to know about those road things I mentioned. That's a little bit why some people get on here. Otherwise I'm liking the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM

So does anyone know of a good restaurant that is a little above the Farmers Markey in Asheville? I was talking to someone about Asheville, and they said there was a good restaurant with I guess home cooking kind of stuff around the Farmers Market somewhere? Anyone know what that might've been, and what road and stuff it would be on? This was an older person, so the restaraunt might not even be there anymore, who knows.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,255,233 times
In response to the restaurant post just above, that's probably the Moose Cafe, nice views, home cooking, inexpensive, right next to the Farmer's Market, you can't miss it. If you're traveling along I-40, between the exits for Biltmore House and West Asheville, the correct green exit sign clearly says "Farmer's Market." The market and restaurant are on what's considered Brevard Road, which that road (heading away from town) becomes Hwy 191 after a few miles from the market, when it goes over I-26 and passes the Biltmore Square Mall. Many maps of Asheville will have the Farmer's Market written on it, it's south of downtown on I-40, not far from I-26. You can call the Moose Cafe, they're in the phone book, and ask for directions, if mine are confusing. For info on what Ashevillites think are the best restaurants in town, you can do a search of this forum and there have been several lengthy threads on that issue.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM

I went looking at some different areas today, mainly around the Jonathan Creek area. It had some nice houses, but certainly not anything within my means. I did like looking at them though. Seems like I'm liking the area more and more as I go along.

Some of the people don't seem to drive to cautiously at times. For example, when there's a good probability that there's ice on the road from the water freezing. I suppose things like that are going to be just about anywhere. I might just say, even if I had a substantial amount of money, as in being very well off and able to live whereever in the country, I probably still might lean towards the WNC area. Since I'm nowhere near that capacity being a young person, I just have to see what I can make do with what I can.

Just wanted to kind of update this thread.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 AM

I have a question for anybody that wants to try and help me on an answer. I looked at a house up on this mountain a couple days ago. The road up to it was partly paved towards the bottom, and then just a little ways up it turned to a dirt road, and it was a pretty long stretch of dirt road from there to the location of the house, and many curves.

I am wondering during the recent big snow, and maybe even at times when it still accumulates but not as much, how many days about has it been for people to be able to sufficiently get down these kind of roads. I have a car and a 4x4 truck, which I suppose it doesn't matter if you got a 4x4 or not, because it's not like it gets traction when the whole vehicle is on ice. I hope you all kind of get what I'm trying to ask here, please give me some input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina