Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,903 times

Advertisements

I am an African-American teacher and single mother interested in relocating to a small town in Western North Carolina. I am doing research on the demographics in that region. I am not interested in Asheville because it is too big. I am a woman of strong faith and would like to be in an area with African-American churches. I am looking for suggestions for an area to live in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
The percentage of African-Americans in the Mountain Region is very small compared to the Piedmont and Coastal Plain regions of the state. Rutherford county in the foothills (Forest City & Spindale) would probably be your best bet.

http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/i...rutherford.jpg

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
You might like Hickory. Not sure about their openings for teachers, but there is a strong black community there. Also, Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

Good luck as you do your research!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
Boone has a very active and wonderful Black Mennonite church. True, the percentage of African Americans is low here, but you are welcome, as far as I'm concerned! There are great opportunities here too, and it's relatively safe, safer than any larger city. It is slightly more expensive to live here (housing is the highest cost), and winter can be a hassle at times though. Like everwhere, there are tradeoffs. If you like, I can put you in touch with Pastor Reggie at the Mennonite Brethren Church. He can help you decide much better than I can. Let me know . . .

Blessings,
Tracey

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,903 times
Default Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information. I may take you up on your offer in the near future. I am still doing my research and I don't anticipate making this move before the end of this year. I am just trying to make sure this move is right for me and my son.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,527 times
Default Rutherford County

If you feel that Asheville is too big, Hickory, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, etc. will all be much too large for your taste. As someone has already posted, Rutherford county is probably a good choice for you. I live here and I love it! We have 3 public high schools and middle schools, 1 charter high school/middle school, several elementary schools and two Christian-based private schools. There are several close-knit African communities within the county, and we even have a museum dedicated to our African-American history. We are in the foothills of the NC Mountains - about one hour east of Asheville. Lake Lure and Chimney Rock are closer to Asheville and still located within the county limits.

There are at least three African-American churches located within the county - there are probably more that I am unaware of. We are a small county consisting of small towns and a lot of rural areas, and a lot of friendly folk!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,908 times
As a resident of Western Carolina, I live near where Tenn, Ga and N.C. meet at their borders, which are made up of small towns. I've lived here for about 5 years now after moving from So. Fla. Over these past years, I can easily say I can count on my two hands the number of African-Americans that I've seen in these area. These areas are very economy poor communities...where there are no jobs or factories work to be found. The area is beautiful with it's mountains, which is why there's alot of 2nd homes or vacation homes in the area. If it wasn't for the fact that we are retired, we would never be able to survive if we needed to have jobs. I would suggest looking around the Charlotte area or northward. Where you could still live in a country atmosphere......but live close enough to a larger city for better job opportunities. Good luck in your search..

Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I think your reception in the mountains would probably be more friendly than most places because there are so few non-whites in the area. I witnessed a nurse working in North Wilkesboro and she was just one of the nurses. Actually I think she was one of the head nurses but I can't be sure about that. I realized that her status there was much different than it would have been in the Charlotte area, for instance. I don't think anyone thought of her any different than just another human being. She acted very confident and very comfortable in her job.

Most mountain communities are very Christian. Maybe that is what makes the difference. I was taught that all people are made by God and should be respected for that reason.

You may want to look for the elevation or size of town. I would like to see the day that you would ask for information on just a teacher looking for work. The race of a person should not matter.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMountains View Post
As a resident of Western Carolina, I live near where Tenn, Ga and N.C. meet at their borders, which are made up of small towns. I've lived here for about 5 years now after moving from So. Fla. Over these past years, I can easily say I can count on my two hands the number of African-Americans that I've seen in these area. These areas are very economy poor communities...where there are no jobs or factories work to be found. The area is beautiful with it's mountains, which is why there's alot of 2nd homes or vacation homes in the area. If it wasn't for the fact that we are retired, we would never be able to survive if we needed to have jobs. I would suggest looking around the Charlotte area or northward. Where you could still live in a country atmosphere......but live close enough to a larger city for better job opportunities. Good luck in your search..
I lived in the Murphy / Hayesville area for 8 years, and there is a very active community of color in Hangin Dog. We now live closer to Asheville, and I can tell you that one of the high schools here is, shall we say "very stuck in the 50's", and not in a good way. Just my opinion, from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina