Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 01:31 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,482,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Yes. I LOVE western NC its stunning but the high country isn't really in my budget

I'm now looking more at the Morganton, Lenoir, hickory triangle in the foothills area. The land here is more affordable and you are near the high country but not directly in it. This area definitely seems more traditional southern than the Asheville/black mountain area.

I also have not written off the area from like Mount airy to west Jefferson to Wilkesboro. I think this is mostly the blue ridge and brushy mountains.

I also am learning about the upstate SC region specifically from like Pickens to the Blue ridge.

NW NC would be my pick for you if what I described sounded good. From Wilkes county up to Sparta and then down south towards Asheville but not extending into Asheville. You can include Morganton, Lenoir and the Brushy Mountain area into that as well. Much more affordable and certainly is plenty like a regular southern community. Even once you get past Waynesville/Asheville area and continue into the mountains towards Franklin, Hayesville, Murphy it feels more southern there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 05:16 PM

311 posts, read 156,804 times
We are in the Lenoir/Morganton/Hickory area and we love it here. We are 20-30 min to Blowing Rock and Boone and about 1.2 hours to Asheville or Charlotte, although we honestly rarely go out there unless it's to take family or go to the airport. Politics wise... honestly I never get into politics with anyone... not here or anywhere I've ever been. However policy wise I would say it's overall conservative with Morganton and Hickory feeling ever so slightly less so.

Plenty of properties with a couple of acres under $400k. Many older properties that could use some interior updates in the $200ks. That being said, yes it's mostly under 2k feet elevation. For us it works out great because depending on the area in some places you have to go up and down the mountain anytime you need to get anything. Also we have actual usable acreage down here and not a bunch of acres 90 degrees on the side of a mountain. The down side is that it's definitely hotter down here. I consistently see around a 10 degree difference between here and Boone. Of course it also means that sometimes it's beautiful down here while they have a blizzard up in Boone.

Since we are from FL the heat doesn't really bother us, but it does get hot in the summer and I personally would not have a house here without AC. It's still cool enough at night where we could get away without AC, but during the day it would be getting a bit uncomfortable already and in the next couple of months I wouldn't even want to attempt it.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:08 PM

240 posts, read 249,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
We are in the Lenoir/Morganton/Hickory area and we love it here. We are 20-30 min to Blowing Rock and Boone and about 1.2 hours to Asheville or Charlotte, although we honestly rarely go out there unless it's to take family or go to the airport. Politics wise... honestly I never get into politics with anyone... not here or anywhere I've ever been. However policy wise I would say it's overall conservative with Morganton and Hickory feeling ever so slightly less so.

Plenty of properties with a couple of acres under $400k. Many older properties that could use some interior updates in the $200ks. That being said, yes it's mostly under 2k feet elevation. For us it works out great because depending on the area in some places you have to go up and down the mountain anytime you need to get anything. Also we have actual usable acreage down here and not a bunch of acres 90 degrees on the side of a mountain. The down side is that it's definitely hotter down here. I consistently see around a 10 degree difference between here and Boone. Of course it also means that sometimes it's beautiful down here while they have a blizzard up in Boone.

Since we are from FL the heat doesn't really bother us, but it does get hot in the summer and I personally would not have a house here without AC. It's still cool enough at night where we could get away without AC, but during the day it would be getting a bit uncomfortable already and in the next couple of months I wouldn't even want to attempt it.
Thank you for reporting your experience!

Old 06-22-2023, 02:47 PM

374 posts, read 241,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Thank you for reporting your experience!
Take a look at North Georgia. The mountains there are equally beautiful and the towns, while still small and conservative, have more amenities than the WNC and TN towns overall. Easy to get to the Atlanta Metro if you need specialized health care at any point in your life.

I feel the same way as you do with regards to preferred climate. Unfortunately there are only a small handful of locations that get a decent Winter from the perspective of anyone not born & raised in the Southeast. Those locations are more expensive, mostly in NC, and of course, filled with the same types of people you're probably trying to get away from in Idaho.

The real country folk live in the valleys. City transplants with second homes live in gated subdivisions atop the mountains looking down on the peasants. Gentrification is happening here too, but not to the degree of places like Colorado and Idaho.

Tennessee is *significantly* more conservative politically. No state income tax. No concealed carry permit required. Politics are big in NC because we're a purple state. Big donors from all over funnel money into this state trying to influence its political future.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:57 AM

54 posts, read 111,297 times
We just moved here and I have felt the "southern charm" already! Everyone has been so friendly, welcoming, offering tips for fun activities with kids. There is a certain feel that you don't get anywhere else. I for one have really loved the welcome that we got in Asheville.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:57 AM

26,152 posts, read 13,136,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
We just moved here and I have felt the "southern charm" already! Everyone has been so friendly, welcoming, offering tips for fun activities with kids. There is a certain feel that you don't get anywhere else. I for one have really loved the welcome that we got in Asheville.

Is Asheville downtown safe, or full of homeless drug addicts? I've been getting mixed messages on this.

I'm not looking to walk around after dark, just dueing daylight hours.

I've heard its safe around The Biltmore for the days visit, & that is on my to do list. I was hoping of popping into Ashville too, but I don't want the homeless drug addicts all over me, like I experienced in San Fran.

I'll be in Brevard for a month this Summer, have you been there?

I'm looking for day trips from Brevard other than the Biltmore and Asheville in case you or others have any ideas. No further drive than 2 hrs each way.

I can't wait to escape the SW Florida heat. The feels like here right now is 102 and Brevard is just 77. Anything <85 degrees feels like a/c to me.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:24 PM

54 posts, read 111,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Is Asheville downtown safe, or full of homeless drug addicts? I've been getting mixed messages on this.

I've heard its safe around The Biltmore for the days visit, & that is on my to do list. I was hoping of popping into Ashville too, but I don't want the homeless drug addicts all over me, like I experienced in San Fran.

I'm looking for day trips from Brevard other than the Biltmore and Asheville in case you or others have any ideas. No further drive than 2 hrs each way.

I can't wait to escape the SW Florida heat. The feels like here right now is 102 and Brevard is just 77. Anything <85 degrees feels like a/c to me.
So keeping in mind I have only been here for 3 days, and that I'm with two small children (hence haven't really gone out past dinner) here are my thoughts:

Yes there are bums sprinkled here and there but it's not an infestation. I haven't seen any drug use or disgusting behavior like San Francisco or Sacramento. But those are MUCH larger cities with a much worse problem. I'd say it's the equivalent of the city I came from, Davis. They are there but uncommon.

This is my impression of downtown Asheville. I've seen a few bums wander into Montford and the Eastern part of West Asheville... but again rarer than I expected reading this message board. Everywhere else, I see peaceful streets, people walking dogs, kids playing, really nice.

Downtown has a good charm too. There's music on every corner, fun stores everywhere, and people genuinely having fun. Again, I'm VERY new here but so far I like what I see.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:05 PM

35,230 posts, read 31,579,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

It’s perfectly fine during the day. You’ll see homeless, but won’t be bothered.

Brevard has a cute downtown, and is close to a beautiful area full of waterfalls. Otherwise, it’s a fairly typical small town.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:03 AM

240 posts, read 249,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Take a look at North Georgia. The mountains there are equally beautiful and the towns, while still small and conservative, have more amenities than the WNC and TN towns overall. Easy to get to the Atlanta Metro if you need specialized health care at any point in your life.

I feel the same way as you do with regards to preferred climate. Unfortunately there are only a small handful of locations that get a decent Winter from the perspective of anyone not born & raised in the Southeast. Those locations are more expensive, mostly in NC, and of course, filled with the same types of people you're probably trying to get away from in Idaho.

The real country folk live in the valleys. City transplants with second homes live in gated subdivisions atop the mountains looking down on the peasants. Gentrification is happening here too, but not to the degree of places like Colorado and Idaho.

Tennessee is *significantly* more conservative politically. No state income tax. No concealed carry permit required. Politics are big in NC because we're a purple state. Big donors from all over funnel money into this state trying to influence its political future.
You are not the first person to recommend N. Georgia, but if I'm going to compromise on climate, why not just stick to Tennessee? Are the mountain towns in North Georgia at a higher elevation than those in Eastern TN? What types of ammenities would I not be able to find living in proximity to Johnson City or Boone?

I like Idaho and its cold, dry climate, but I worry about the coming decades. Also, a close friend thinks culturally I would fit in well in the South, so I'm trying to find a way to explore that option without being tormented by Summer weather. Whether TN, NC or GA, ideally my first visit will be in July or August so I can get a sense of what I might be getting myself into.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:02 AM

6,651 posts, read 4,380,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
So keeping in mind I have only been here for 3 days, and that I'm with two small children (hence haven't really gone out past dinner) here are my thoughts:

Yes there are bums sprinkled here and there but it's not an infestation. I haven't seen any drug use or disgusting behavior like San Francisco or Sacramento. But those are MUCH larger cities with a much worse problem. I'd say it's the equivalent of the city I came from, Davis. They are there but uncommon.

This is my impression of downtown Asheville. I've seen a few bums wander into Montford and the Eastern part of West Asheville... but again rarer than I expected reading this message board. Everywhere else, I see peaceful streets, people walking dogs, kids playing, really nice.

Downtown has a good charm too. There's music on every corner, fun stores everywhere, and people genuinely having fun. Again, I'm VERY new here but so far I like what I see.
^^. this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina