Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 08:28 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not growing that fast any longer. FL's net migration numbers for 2022 was at 1.9%, the lowest number in decades. It's predicted to fall lower for this year and wouldn't bet against below 1%. Many are moving in but there's little conversation about the near equal numbers moving out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I dunno... anything below like 55F is freezing to us. The house we bought has a pool and even that we can only use like June to mid Sept and even then I'm always complaining how cold it is.

I guess the people where we live didn't get the memo.
Where I live in Central Florida its' pretty commonplace.

In the past two years I have varying friends who moved to:

Arden NC, Canton NC, Kannapolis NC, Saluda NC, Beech Mountain NC, Black Mountain NC and Burnsville NC with more planning to.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:16 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Where I live in Central Florida its' pretty commonplace.

In the past two years I have varying friends who moved to:

Arden NC, Canton NC, Kannapolis NC, Saluda NC, Beech Mountain NC, Black Mountain NC and Burnsville NC with more planning to.
I have a friend who is a seasonal resident and lives in south FL the other half of the year. He has had it with FL heat, humidity, hurricanes, escalating homeowners and hurricane insurance, traffic/congestion, etc., and is moving here full-time.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:54 AM

788 posts, read 784,160 times
We lost interest in collier co florida almost 26 years ago and made a move to yancey co .

Old 09-25-2023, 05:35 PM

10,994 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The weather is typical for this region. Actually Asheville has less rain than many of the surrounding areas. Except for one cold spurt, we’ve had a relatively mild winter. It’s warm today and supposed to be near 80 tomorrow. Asheville is located close to so many beautiful hiking areas. Very few places in the U.S. can compete in this regard. The interstate system and some of the roads do seem a little strange tio me, but you have to remember Asheville is a mountain town. There are several lakes fairly close to Asheville, including Lake Lure, which is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful lakes in America. Yes, housing prices are expensive, relative to many parts of the south. Asheville is considerable to be located in a very desirable part of the country, with a large retiree population and people who move here from other more expensive areas like NY. Demand is great and supply is low; consequently prices are high. The housing market in Asheville is still very good. My philosophy is life is too short to be unhappy. If circumstances allow, I would sell and move to place that makes you happy. You could likely still get top dollar for your house. Given that you want a warmer, less expensive area, you might take a look at southern MS. The COL there is a good bit lower and the weather is warmer.
I visited Western North Carolina last week, principally to visit The Rainbow Bridge at The Flowering Bridge at Lake Lure. It is stupendously beautiful and well done, and well worth visiting... well, if you like a grueling drive on either of the roads leading there. I had to take a hwy south to almost Hendersonville, then turn east. Horrible traffic backup due to construction and a truck jackknife because the interstate through Asheville had 2 crashes. It was better than the road leading back up to Asheville. That is a grueling drive, especially if you've spent a few hours walking around in the hot sun as I did. Another thing that really irritated me, and I was unprepared for, was NO cell phone service at all. Lake Lure is set in a large valley surrounded by mountains, near Chimney Rock. I suppose the hotels have internet, but if you need to make a phone call or send a text you're out of luck.

As for Asheville, I did not like it. I'd always wanted to see it, but it was mid afternoon and all I could think about was getting out of town to beat the traffic to where I was staying. Too much traffic, and Google Maps was really bad as to directions for the interstates and state hwys. Very annoying. I'm over living in high traffic/high demand places.

I'm glad I visited so that I can realize that I don't want to live in a place like that. I already live in a place with too much rain and gloomy clouds during winter and much of the rest of the year (North Alabama), so even though I was thinking of moving near Asheville I probably will not, but haven't decided yet. I'm not a winter person unless I'm in the desert or on the West Coast where I'm from.

I agree with the OP who I hope has found a better solution and has moved or is in the process of making plans to move.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:28 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I visited Western North Carolina last week, principally to visit The Rainbow Bridge at The Flowering Bridge at Lake Lure. It is stupendously beautiful and well done, and well worth visiting... well, if you like a grueling drive on either of the roads leading there. I had to take a hwy south to almost Hendersonville, then turn east. Horrible traffic backup due to construction and a truck jackknife because the interstate through Asheville had 2 crashes. It was better than the road leading back up to Asheville. That is a grueling drive, especially if you've spent a few hours walking around in the hot sun as I did. Another thing that really irritated me, and I was unprepared for, was NO cell phone service at all. Lake Lure is set in a large valley surrounded by mountains, near Chimney Rock. I suppose the hotels have internet, but if you need to make a phone call or send a text you're out of luck.

As for Asheville, I did not like it. I'd always wanted to see it, but it was mid afternoon and all I could think about was getting out of town to beat the traffic to where I was staying. Too much traffic, and Google Maps was really bad as to directions for the interstates and state hwys. Very annoying. I'm over living in high traffic/high demand places.

I'm glad I visited so that I can realize that I don't want to live in a place like that. I already live in a place with too much rain and gloomy clouds during winter and much of the rest of the year (North Alabama), so even though I was thinking of moving near Asheville I probably will not, but haven't decided yet. I'm not a winter person unless I'm in the desert or on the West Coast where I'm from.

I agree with the OP who I hope has found a better solution and has moved or is in the process of making plans to move.
We have lived in many places and visited almost every state. To us WNC is one of the most beautiful places in America. Traffic here is miniscule relative to places like Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Mobile, Jackson, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Charlotte, etc. When I-26 is completed, the traffic flow will be much better. We go to Asheville fairly often, and for the most part, it flows pretty well, despite the work going on. Cell service can be spotty in places, but you have to remember you’re in the mountains. Every season here is different, but beautiful. It rarely touches 90 in the summer, fall has glorious color, winter is serene with occasional snow, and trees and plants come alive with new growth in spring. The significant rain amount we get is necessary for the lush green foliage and diversity of trees we have. Hope you find your utopia. We did!

Last edited by Lizap; 09-26-2023 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-26-2023, 04:54 AM

212 posts, read 426,587 times
Quote:

I agree that the weather is definitely important to consider when relocating! When I think about having raised children in sunny SoFL, and one choosing to relocate to Eugene OR (SO SO overcast) and another who pined away for RAIN when he studied in "perfect weather" Southern California, I've come to realize that every single place has its other side of the coin.

If you are still somewhat considering a community near Asheville, you might pay a visit just north, to a town called Weaverville. Slower pace, more farm-y, but with all the conveniences. Three ways into town (I25/26, Merrimon Ave. & The Blue Ridge). Before it got officially named, it was known as Dry Ridge. I guess that historically it saw less precipitation than surrounding areas. But I bet the cloud cover might more or less be the same.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:54 PM

34 posts, read 31,455 times
Not a huge fan of the transient homeless people, lack of cell service, and the gay, liberal population in the city. I do love everything else though. I'm more of a fan of the rural area I guess.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:35 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y88 View Post
Not a huge fan of the transient homeless people, lack of cell service, and the gay, liberal population in the city. I do love everything else though. I'm more of a fan of the rural area I guess.
"Gay liberals" are everywhere including rural areas where we do everything from farming to own small businesses (shops, restaurants, professional services) and even deliver the Sunday eulogy at community churches. Perhaps learn to coexist or go live off the grid away from other people.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:46 AM

10,994 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y88 View Post
I found the lack of cell service when I was there last week very upsetting. Many places I traveled to in WNC were like that. I realize it is a mountainous area but companies need to beef that up. This is 2023.

You and I should switch places. I live in a food desert. To get anything remotely ethnic (food) or even slightly unusual I have to travel 30-40 miles or order online. And some things cannot even be ordered online. I also don't have local access to more "modern" stores, for lack of a better term. One thing I liked about WNC is that it has far more curio shops of various kinds, and far more yoga studios, health clubs and music venues. It has a far more culturally creative feel, and that's a good thing.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:12 PM

788 posts, read 784,160 times
Quote:
I found the lack of cell service when I was there last week very upsetting. Many places I traveled to in WNC were like that. I realize it is a mountainous area but companies need to beef that up. This is 2023.

You and I should switch places. I live in a food desert. To get anything remotely ethnic (food) or even slightly unusual I have to travel 30-40 miles or order online. And some things cannot even be ordered online. I also don't have local access to more "modern" stores, for lack of a better term. One thing I liked about WNC is that it has far more curio shops of various kinds, and far more yoga studios, health clubs and music venues. It has a far more culturally creative feel, and that's a good thing.

When we first moved to Yancey county most cell service providers were lacking but over the years many have good coverage in the mountains But you may need to update your phone to the areas or once you have moved here pick a different provider . For us US cellular has had the best coverage locally and nationally as also use other towers .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina