Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 AM

49 posts, read 335,134 times

Advertisements

After the job down in Tryon didn't work out (so disappointed, we just loved that town!!! It's still our "gold standard" for small towns) we're on the prowl again and found one in Waynesville/Clyde.

Now we've never really been "in love" with Waynesville. Can anyone comment on the quality of schools? What about towns within an easy commute (30 mins) like Candler, etc.? We're looking for good schools; our housing budget is 500-650K. We're looking for SMALL town friendly without being SMALL town impoverished and ugly.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Heading there Sunday

Well, we're heading there Sunday--any suggestions on where to look within 30 minutes of Clyde?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Clyde and Waynesville might be your best bets. Also around Lake Junaluska, between those two towns. Tuscola HS is supposed to be quite good, certainly no worse than the Western Buncombe county high schools (Erwin & Enka). Your housing budget will go a long way in Haywood county.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:42 AM

283 posts, read 1,290,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottePA View Post
After the job down in Tryon didn't work out (so disappointed, we just loved that town!!! It's still our "gold standard" for small towns) we're on the prowl again and found one in Waynesville/Clyde.

Now we've never really been "in love" with Waynesville. Can anyone comment on the quality of schools? What about towns within an easy commute (30 mins) like Candler, etc.? We're looking for good schools; our housing budget is 500-650K. We're looking for SMALL town friendly without being SMALL town impoverished and ugly.

Thanks.
My son went to Tuscola HS (Graduated last year). From what I could discern, it was a good school. He is a college kid now, so they didn't hurt him on his way to getting to App. State... I don't think Pisgah is any less good - just a slightly different group of kids there.

Waynesville is nice. I enjoyed it there. Areas of Canton can be very nice - depending on how close to civilization you want to be. Bethel is beautiful, Areas out Newfound Road area are beautiful, etc. (but kids go to Pisgah HS). Remember to consider your surroundings when you buy. Keep in mind that in an unlimited zoning area... that gorgeous piece of land next door to you... could become a singlewide park. Be aware of adjacent property use / potential use.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me with any questions about Haywood County - I'd be happy to help you out if I know the answers.

JBird22 - in Haywood County

Old 05-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
My son went to Tuscola HS (Graduated last year). From what I could discern, it was a good school. He is a college kid now, so they didn't hurt him on his way to getting to App. State... I don't think Pisgah is any less good - just a slightly different group of kids there.

Waynesville is nice. I enjoyed it there. Areas of Canton can be very nice - depending on how close to civilization you want to be. Bethel is beautiful, Areas out Newfound Road area are beautiful, etc. (but kids go to Pisgah HS). Remember to consider your surroundings when you buy. Keep in mind that in an unlimited zoning area... that gorgeous piece of land next door to you... could become a singlewide park. Be aware of adjacent property use / potential use.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me with any questions about Haywood County - I'd be happy to help you out if I know the answers.

JBird22 - in Haywood County
Thanks for the good advice. We've found some homes to look at in Waynesville and lake junaluska and candler. I like the idea of being closer to Asheville and driving to Clyde--as long as it's not too far. I have a friend in Candler who says nice things about where he lives, for what it's worth.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:10 AM

49 posts, read 178,074 times
Candler's great. Most of it is "in the country" but 20 minutes and you're in the center of downtown. There are also a surprising number of shopping and dining options in Candler and closeby. Wild turkeys roam free around here, and you'll see a lot of horses and cows while driving around.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysher8 View Post
Candler's great. Most of it is "in the country" but 20 minutes and you're in the center of downtown. There are also a surprising number of shopping and dining options in Candler and closeby. Wild turkeys roam free around here, and you'll see a lot of horses and cows while driving around.

Yeah, we drove around yesterday a good bit. My wife favored a more traditional neighborhood, I put a post about Biltmore Lake earlier. Living in Candler, does one suffer from higher (?) taxes of Buncombe County, say versus living in Haywood?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM

49 posts, read 178,074 times
It's all relative. Living in Candler, you'll be subjected to Buncombe County taxes, but not to City of Asheville taxes. Biltmore Lake has been annexed by the city of Asheville so you will pay additional taxes if you live in there.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM

63 posts, read 356,787 times
Actually, I don't think Biltmore Lake's been annexed yet. It was proposed, but has been fought by the homeowners. Of course the future possibility must be kept in mind. I put in a call to someone I know who lives there to confirm. I'll post his definitive response when I can.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:57 PM

63 posts, read 356,787 times
Update on Biltmore Lake annexation by Asheville:

Asheville began the involuntary annexation process awhile back, but Biltmore Lake residents fought it, ultimately filing suit to hold off annexation for two years. That was roughly six months ago, so in 18 months annexation may happen.

Or not.

There's a growing statewide movement to do away with involuntary annexation. The Biltmore Lake homeowners have joined with some of the statewide organizations to help eliminate this option for cities like Asheville and others that have "grabbed" areas to add to their tax base without perhaps providing services proportional to the additional tax burden.

So for now, Biltmore Lake has not been annexed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina