Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,492 times

Advertisements

One of the things that gives me pause about moving to H'ville is kayaking opportunities. While I've done sections of the Colorado River without the whole dual car transport (go with a friend, park one car at the take-out, then drive together to the put-in; kayak to the take-out, drive back to the put-in and pick up the other car), because where I was allowed for paddling upstream back to the car without unreasonable effort. (I'm nearing retirement and fighting current will become un-doable at some point - so I'd like to have as much flatwater, or gentle current, as I can get.) I want to be able to go kayaking by myself as often as I go with others, as I have over the years. It's a much different experience soloing; much more meditative, etc. and I want both experiences.

Are there sections of the French Broad that you feel are quite doable for up-stream paddling? What about other close by offerings? I've been to Jocasse Lake, and loved it, but that's really an all-day trip. I would like to be able to paddle in the mornings, and be home by mid-afternoon often enough and not have it be the same paddle (same section) each time.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
You can kayak at Lake Julian:

https://www.buncombecounty.org/Gover...akeJulian.aspx

Old 01-07-2016, 02:30 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,407 times
And at Lake Lure:

Recreation in and around Lake Lure : Town of Lake Lure

Old 01-07-2016, 02:56 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
One of the things that gives me pause about moving to H'ville is kayaking opportunities. While I've done sections of the Colorado River without the whole dual car transport (go with a friend, park one car at the take-out, then drive together to the put-in; kayak to the take-out, drive back to the put-in and pick up the other car), because where I was allowed for paddling upstream back to the car without unreasonable effort. (I'm nearing retirement and fighting current will become un-doable at some point - so I'd like to have as much flatwater, or gentle current, as I can get.) I want to be able to go kayaking by myself as often as I go with others, as I have over the years. It's a much different experience soloing; much more meditative, etc. and I want both experiences.

Are there sections of the French Broad that you feel are quite doable for up-stream paddling? What about other close by offerings? I've been to Jocasse Lake, and loved it, but that's really an all-day trip. I would like to be able to paddle in the mornings, and be home by mid-afternoon often enough and not have it be the same paddle (same section) each time.

Thanks in advance.

Franklin NC, areas near Murphy NC or Bryson City NC may be your dream areas; here is a map.
There is some kayaking on the French Broad River in the Asheville area also; others will have specific info.

Map of Nantahala Lake - Topton NC 28781 - Wayah Road

Also, a site for flatwater kayaking in WNC:

http://www.ncsparks.com/paddling-nc/...western-nc.php

Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the information - it covers day trips and home-in-H'ville by 3ish trips. Good to know.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:33 AM

474 posts, read 840,256 times
I researched this a little this past summer, and here is what I came up with for lake kayaking near me (Fairview):

Lake James - 51 min., no permit required for personal kayak. Can rent kayak for $5 1st hr, $3 each add. hr
Lake Lure - 35 min., day permit is $7 for personal kayak or rent kayak for $10/hr
Lake Adger - 55 min., no permit required
Lake Junaluska - 35 min., no permit required

If you're in Hendersonville, the Green River should also be a good option.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:39 AM

Hey b, thanks for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina