Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,102 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Westchester county from a small town in Upstate NY, and would appreciate some recommendations for possible locations. I am used to living in the country with a large dog and would like to rent a 2 bedroom unit (could spend upto $2500 a month). I will be commuting to the Morningside Heights area (116th and Broadway). What would be the best choice of neighbourhoods in Westchester considering pet-friendly places and the commute time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM

95 posts, read 431,448 times
I feel badly that no one has responded to you, I know that looking for a place to rent with a large dog can be challenging. Unfortunately, I don't really have any great advice either. I would think, however, with that budget you should be able to find a place. Are you only interested in Westchester, or would you consider living in the city? The only experience I can offer is we are currently subletting an apartment in the Washington Heights/Inwood area (we have two 70lb dogs) - there are a couple big parks up there that all seem to have dog runs/areas and lots of people with larger dogs.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,102 times
Smile Thank you

Thanks much for the reply, NJGirl. I am looking all across the surrounding areas, with a reasonable commute to the MorningSide Heights area. Thanks for the inputs - will keep trying.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
It'd be even harder to find a rental that allows dogs in NYC, especially with that budget. You might need to look farther afield.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM

95 posts, read 431,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It'd be even harder to find a rental that allows dogs in NYC, especially with that budget. You might need to look farther afield.
I know that is generally true, but even in north Manhattan (Inwood/Washington Hgts)? We a lot of big dogs around here and I cannot believe that they are all people that own.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 16,491 times
Default Renting

Perhaps renting a house is more feasible than an apartment. I saw a couple of rentals in Nanuet NY which is about 35 miles north of NYC.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
I would tend to agree that a house or townhouse might serve your needs better with the dogs Have you thought about Yonkers or perhaps Pelham and parts of Mamaroneck? It's much easier to find a house that will accept a larger dog than many apartments, although nothing is impossible. And, you can be in a decent part of Yonkers that would not be a bad commute, especially around $2500/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County