Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 10:54 PM

56 posts, read 59,210 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We had a wonderful drive through the north of Westchester. Found homes in our budget too (just about and a litter fixer upper but not too bad)
So we love Pound Ridge...the schools, the area etc.
Just to widen our search we would like to add a town or two in the same price range just because there is not that much on the market.

We love the demographic and schools in Pound Ridge.
How does Yorktown heights compare? The houses seem cheaper.
Also KAtona homes that are pat of Somers schools are a lot cheaper? Somers school have a lower greatschools rating, but I don't put too much value on that rating.

Opinions on Somers schools vs Pound Ridge schools?
And Yorktown height schools vs Pound Ridge schools?

Much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 08:27 PM

389 posts, read 399,085 times
There are a lot of possible answers to this question. The first thing I thought was are you going to be working in Manhattan?

If you are, you might want to take into consideration the commute to the train station, then the commute to the city.

Somers is closer to Goldens Bridge and Purdys train stations.

Pound Ridge residents have to drive to Katonah or Mt. Kisco depending on their proximity to the station. You also want to know this because where you live will affect where you park, because you need to get a permit for each station. I would contact the local government in each town for more information.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:42 PM

My husband will be working in Manhattan but our first priority is just deciding on the school district. We are fore-fitting a short commute for a more affordable and better school district so that is ok .

Old 11-15-2021, 10:12 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam Gal View Post
Hi all

We had a wonderful drive through the north of Westchester. Found homes in our budget too (just about and a litter fixer upper but not too bad)
So we love Pound Ridge...the schools, the area etc.
Just to widen our search we would like to add a town or two in the same price range just because there is not that much on the market.

We love the demographic and schools in Pound Ridge.
How does Yorktown heights compare? The houses seem cheaper.
Also KAtona homes that are pat of Somers schools are a lot cheaper? Somers school have a lower greatschools rating, but I don't put too much value on that rating.

Opinions on Somers schools vs Pound Ridge schools?
And Yorktown height schools vs Pound Ridge schools?

Much appreciated!!
All of the school districts in that area are very good. The differences may be found in culture/demographics. Bedford SD would be the most diverse ethnically (higher percentages of hispanic students) and economically, by a noticeable margin. Katonah-Lewisboro would be the least in these categories. Lakeland, Yorktown, Somers would be in the middle, in that order (from more diverse to least).

Bedford will have the largest high school and feel more public-school-ish, owing to its ethnic and economic diversity and size. Katonah-Lewisboro would feel a bit more like a private school vibe.

Also, you will need to tighten up your understanding of the school districts in the area. There are no "Pound Ridge" schools. Pound Ridge is a town, not a school district. Most properties in the Town of Pound Ridge will be in the Bedford SD, but not all. Same with Yorktown Heights. This is a hamlet - which means amongst other things it doesn't have a real defined border. In any event, Yorktown Heights properties are likely split between Lakeland SD and Yorktown SD. Same for Somers. I don't know if the Town of Somers is coterminous with the Somers SD. It may or may not be.

If all of this seems confusing, it need not be. SD is all that matters, especially where you are looking. You seem to be fishing in as many as five school districts - all of which would be good enough for my kids. Since you are prioritizing SD, pick the one you like the best and buy a house in that district. It should not matter what Town the home is in - except for maybe access to parking at your desired train station.

Also don't downplay commuting time. You are looking at a very big area with many surprisingly rural-ish roads and areas. It may be a huge chore to get to and from a train station where you are eligible for parking. Long commutes wear on you, and it limits access to your kids, which is important as they get older and play sports and do other things.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:07 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
My husband will be working in Manhattan but our first priority is just deciding on the school district. We are fore-fitting a short commute for a more affordable and better school district so that is ok .
The commute to Manhattan from Croton-Harmon (Yorktown's closest station) is 25 minutes to the station from downtown Yorktown, parking the car is another 15 minutes and the train ride is an hour.

Some use the Katonah Train Station which can be slightly closer depending on your location. However, it's a longer train ride.

Regardless of your kids' ages being two hours away is hard. There are going to be telephone calls from the nurse' office and other emergencies.

You'll need someone to bring/pick up your kids from the school bus stop. Brookside grammar school begins at 8:30.

There will be two hour snow delays to deal with. There is significantly more snow than south of 287. I've lived in Yorktown, NYC and Boston. Northern Westchester's snow totals are closer to Boston than NYC

If I remember correctly high school begins at 7:30. I drove my daughter in winter. The school bus came before the sunrise. There are no street lights or sidewalks. Factoring in icy roads with the complete darkness, it was hazardous to stand at the bus stop.

Many people in northern Westchester don't work in Manhattan. Many are many local doctors/nurses/police officers/teachers/small business owners and many others commute to White Plains or corporate headquarters like IBM.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 11-15-2021 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2021, 09:14 AM

307 posts, read 636,899 times
Pound Ridge/Bedford has a different feel than Yorktown/Somers. The schools will be fine whichever you choose. You should consider the areas themselves and see which would be more inline with what type of community you want.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:06 AM

65 posts, read 88,356 times
Somers the kids all go to the same schools from k-12. The town is very close knit and very family and sports oriented. Little diversity in the town. Mixture of Italian american old blood and newer non Italian American white collar families. Very good schools. Yorktown is similar to Somers but it’s closer to Peekskill and Cortlandt so there is bleed over from there while Somers is closer to North Salem and Katonah so there is bleed over from there. North Salem/Katonah much different than Cortland/Peekskill.

Pound Ridge is one of 4 or 5 elementary schools that join together. You got a lot more diversity. Not sure how much of a community bond there is between people from say Bedford and Mount Kisco, etc. I’m sure a lot of Bedford and Pound ridge families consider private high schools as well

Old 11-22-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The commute to Manhattan from Croton-Harmon (Yorktown's closest station) is 25 minutes to the station from downtown Yorktown, parking the car is another 15 minutes and the train ride is an hour.

Some use the Katonah Train Station which can be slightly closer depending on your location. However, it's a longer train ride.

Regardless of your kids' ages being two hours away is hard. There are going to be telephone calls from the nurse' office and other emergencies.

You'll need someone to bring/pick up your kids from the school bus stop. Brookside grammar school begins at 8:30.

There will be two hour snow delays to deal with. There is significantly more snow than south of 287. I've lived in Yorktown, NYC and Boston. Northern Westchester's snow totals are closer to Boston than NYC

If I remember correctly high school begins at 7:30. I drove my daughter in winter. The school bus came before the sunrise. There are no street lights or sidewalks. Factoring in icy roads with the complete darkness, it was hazardous to stand at the bus stop.

Many people in northern Westchester don't work in Manhattan. Many are many local doctors/nurses/police officers/teachers/small business owners and many others commute to White Plains or corporate headquarters like IBM.
Thank you soooo much!! You bring up a good point about the school buses and hilly roads.
My husband has accepted it is a long commute so we are OK with that, he works from home a lot so it is alright. So community wise what is the difference mainly Somers schools vs John jay middle and high school?
We used to live in Scarsdale and loved it, can't afford it now and I know Chappaqua has a close demographic to Scarsdale, but still it is a little too pricy.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
All of the school districts in that area are very good. The differences may be found in culture/demographics. Bedford SD would be the most diverse ethnically (higher percentages of hispanic students) and economically, by a noticeable margin. Katonah-Lewisboro would be the least in these categories. Lakeland, Yorktown, Somers would be in the middle, in that order (from more diverse to least).

Bedford will have the largest high school and feel more public-school-ish, owing to its ethnic and economic diversity and size. Katonah-Lewisboro would feel a bit more like a private school vibe.

Also, you will need to tighten up your understanding of the school districts in the area. There are no "Pound Ridge" schools. Pound Ridge is a town, not a school district. Most properties in the Town of Pound Ridge will be in the Bedford SD, but not all. Same with Yorktown Heights. This is a hamlet - which means amongst other things it doesn't have a real defined border. In any event, Yorktown Heights properties are likely split between Lakeland SD and Yorktown SD. Same for Somers. I don't know if the Town of Somers is coterminous with the Somers SD. It may or may not be.

If all of this seems confusing, it need not be. SD is all that matters, especially where you are looking. You seem to be fishing in as many as five school districts - all of which would be good enough for my kids. Since you are prioritizing SD, pick the one you like the best and buy a house in that district. It should not matter what Town the home is in - except for maybe access to parking at your desired train station.

Also don't downplay commuting time. You are looking at a very big area with many surprisingly rural-ish roads and areas. It may be a huge chore to get to and from a train station where you are eligible for parking. Long commutes wear on you, and it limits access to your kids, which is important as they get older and play sports and do other things.
Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful! So that is what I am trying the figure out, the difference in demographic. I am considering Katonah Lewisboro school district (john jay middle and high school). the houses around Somers school district are wayyy cheaper and I am not sure why? Most of 'Katonah' houses that are cheaper are in the 'Somers' school district, I can't figure out what I am compromising? Less educated demographic or less wealthy?
It is so hard to figure out what the demographic looks like.
Thanks again

Old 11-23-2021, 08:39 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful! So that is what I am trying the figure out, the difference in demographic. I am considering Katonah Lewisboro school district (john jay middle and high school). the houses around Somers school district are wayyy cheaper and I am not sure why? Most of 'Katonah' houses that are cheaper are in the 'Somers' school district, I can't figure out what I am compromising? Less educated demographic or less wealthy?
It is so hard to figure out what the demographic looks like.
Thanks again
Somers SD will have a more middle class average joe vibe. JJ SD will have more of the gentleman farmer vibe that exists to a certain extent in NE Westchester. These are probably overstatements but I am just trying to answer your questions. Also I think Somers might have a higher percentage of smaller houses/smaller lots, which of course will be less expensive. If you have no prior connections to either SD than go with the house that is both cheaper and with the better commute, if such exists in one spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County