Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 03:15 PM

439 posts, read 958,145 times

Advertisements

Arizona has lost it's appeal to us boomers. We are seniors, wish to cash out here and most likely lease/rent a nice home is new area. We do need medical, hubby is cancer survivor however we are very active. Have two big doggies so nice large fenced yard.

We considered the Boise area years back however decided to move back to our old neighborhood here in northwest Tucson, been here 9 years. Unfortunately with the changes in our political structure I feel our style of live and let live is going to be challenged.

We have lived in the east several times so weather is not rally a negative. I have been looking into South Dakota and Idaho again however we are really late to the party there for puchasing a home vs. leasing plus SD has some nasty weather issues for us older models..

I was born in Buchannon WVA, do not remember anything about the area accept the old victoria home my mothers family used to have there.

We lived for many years just outside of Harrisonburg Virginia however we are priced out of this area also as it is resort style.

I am looking for a single story small ranch home on at least one acre or more. Hubby will need access to cancer follow-ups and the usual primary care group. I am still very active and like working out at gym, nice shopping, dining would be a plus. We do travel some so have way descent airport would be a plus. $300K tops in RE

Are there any natural weather negatives there? Looks like taxes are not too bad.

Any info appreciated...thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 06:04 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
West Virginia as a whole tends to be more conservative so it would likely suit your needs politically. For your other needs, you might check out the Huntington area. Homes like you described are common in the surrounding areas, especially up Route 2. For shopping, you’d be close to the largest mall in the state as well as the numerous local shops downtown. There is also a nice variety of restaurants downtown from casual to formal. The Huntington Tristate Airport is the second largest in the state with the largest airport being just up the road in Charleston. Huntington also offers great healthcare with two large hospitals and each having their own cancer treatment options. The Edwards Cancer Center at Cabell Huntington is actually planning to expand its offerings soon. You also have Marshall University here that a lot of sports and entertainment options as well. I hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:22 PM

439 posts, read 958,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
West Virginia as a whole tends to be more conservative so it would likely suit your needs politically. For your other needs, you might check out the Huntington area. Homes like you described are common in the surrounding areas, especially up Route 2. For shopping, you’d be close to the largest mall in the state as well as the numerous local shops downtown. There is also a nice variety of restaurants downtown from casual to formal. The Huntington Tristate Airport is the second largest in the state with the largest airport being just up the road in Charleston. Huntington also offers great healthcare with two large hospitals and each having their own cancer treatment options. The Edwards Cancer Center at Cabell Huntington is actually planning to expand its offerings soon. You also have Marshall University here that a lot of sports and entertainment options as well. I hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.
I will check out this area, thank you.

Old 10-11-2023, 10:04 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I would look into Pinch and Elkview, which are just north of Charleston. Safe, clean, and friendly place to live. Close to Charleston which has a decent airport and CAMC Cancer Center. Pretty much everything you would ever need, with some charm. Housing and land is affordable.

Old 10-11-2023, 11:09 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
West Virginia will hopefully never succumb to ideologies. A beautiful state, great honest people who'll let you be what you wanna be.

Old 10-12-2023, 04:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
You may want to consider Putnam County, along the I-64 Corridor. You can live in a place like Hurricane or Teays Valley and be approximately 30 minutes from either Huntington or Charleston. The area tends to vote 65%-70% Republican and leans conservative. The median age is early-40's, indicating that half of residents are older than that and half are younger. The population here is stagnant/stable, whereas the population in the adjacent Charleston and Huntington areas is declining.

Not to poach you, but Pittsburgh has some great cancer care centers and geriatric care centers. The city itself is militantly liberal. Surrounding Allegheny County leans left. All of the outer counties beyond Allegheny County either lean right or are far-right in terms of political stance. You could probably be happy in a place like Washington, PA or Canonsburg, PA, where you could find a home in your budget and still be proximate to Pittsburgh for the airport and for medical care needs while living amongst a lot of older and more conservative people.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:12 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You may want to consider Putnam County, along the I-64 Corridor. You can live in a place like Hurricane or Teays Valley and be approximately 30 minutes from either Huntington or Charleston. The area tends to vote 65%-70% Republican and leans conservative. The median age is early-40's, indicating that half of residents are older than that and half are younger. The population here is stagnant/stable, whereas the population in the adjacent Charleston and Huntington areas is declining.

Not to poach you, but Pittsburgh has some great cancer care centers and geriatric care centers. The city itself is militantly liberal. Surrounding Allegheny County leans left. All of the outer counties beyond Allegheny County either lean right or are far-right in terms of political stance. You could probably be happy in a place like Washington, PA or Canonsburg, PA, where you could find a home in your budget and still be proximate to Pittsburgh for the airport and for medical care needs while living amongst a lot of older and more conservative people.
Would you be able to speak to the crime in Morgantown and the surrounding towns and rural areas? And also up in Weirton? I'm curious about the WV-side population centers along the PA border. The broad brushstroke I've come across is the further Northeast you travel, the less severe rural crime and poverty gets, I'm wondering if that is indeed the case.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:06 PM

85 posts, read 83,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Would you be able to speak to the crime in Morgantown and the surrounding towns and rural areas? And also up in Weirton? I'm curious about the WV-side population centers along the PA border. The broad brushstroke I've come across is the further Northeast you travel, the less severe rural crime and poverty gets, I'm wondering if that is indeed the case.
I grew up in Weirton, live in Pittsburgh now (20ish minutes away from it) but my family and good amount of friends still live there and the surrounding areas so I'm still "home" a lot. Weirton isn't dangerous or rolling in crime if that's what you're asking. I don't know what constitutes as "rural crime" but all the towns up in the north besides Weirton like New Cumberland, Chester, etc are all fine. I don't have any real ties to places like Follansbee and Wellsburg, which sit below all those northern towns I just listed but they're not really in the news for crime either if that's what you want to know.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:00 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
I grew up in Weirton, live in Pittsburgh now (20ish minutes away from it) but my family and good amount of friends still live there and the surrounding areas so I'm still "home" a lot. Weirton isn't dangerous or rolling in crime if that's what you're asking. I don't know what constitutes as "rural crime" but all the towns up in the north besides Weirton like New Cumberland, Chester, etc are all fine. I don't have any real ties to places like Follansbee and Wellsburg, which sit below all those northern towns I just listed but they're not really in the news for crime either if that's what you want to know.
That is what I wanted to know, thank you for weighing in.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:41 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
The northern panhandle (above Wheeling) is working on revitalizing the towns. That takes time but it’s happening. Old dilapidated properties are being pulled down all over to improve the property values. Wheeling itself is working on a new Gateway Center https://www.theintelligencer.net/new...ateway-center/

We are about halfway between Wheeling and Weirton, most of Pittsburgh medical care is about an hour drive. That’s where we go.

The one thing that is difficult to find is a ranch due to the topography. You can find a raised ranch but a true ranch, nope. I’ve only seen one or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia