Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 03:49 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times

Advertisements

Generally if you go south of Sutton you hear a lot more of y'all. The farther north from that it's generally 'you all' except as you get closer to Pittsburgh and you also get the god awful 'youns' or 'you ins' mixed in. Modified Pittsburghese basically. Eastern Panhandle is a lot of transplants from closer into the DC area and you will hear 'you all.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 02:00 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
I would agree it is either "you all" or "you guys" in northern WV.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:07 AM

632 posts, read 831,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelpJuice View Post
I wish you all would say the same about cultures dominated by black, brown, and yellow people.
Someone is trolling for a fight

Old 08-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndTrees View Post
Must admit I have never heard "y'all". Everyone I know, including me, says "you all".

But you mentioned something that really bothers me, someone who knows nothing about WV writing a book set in WV.
I'm not writing the book; I'm helping review and edit it.

The author's family is from WV, so she knows what she's talking about, it just didn't seem right to me.

But, apparently it is. Two of her characters say "y'all" although the others don't.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 AM

50 posts, read 43,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Someone is trolling for a fight
I’m not trolling, you can’t criticize someone for not doing their due diligence in researching WV and turn a blind eye when it happens to other cultures. E.g., you can’t be okay with someone dressing up in a sombrero and poncho if you’re offended by someone dressing up in camo as a caricature of rural/“redneck” culture

Old 08-19-2020, 01:23 PM

632 posts, read 831,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelpJuice View Post
I’m not trolling, you can’t criticize someone for not doing their due diligence in researching WV and turn a blind eye when it happens to other cultures. E.g., you can’t be okay with someone dressing up in a sombrero and poncho if you’re offended by someone dressing up in camo as a caricature of rural/“redneck” culture
Literally no one in this thread has mentioned anything about any of that. You posted about it purely to stir up things.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM

19,514 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Originally from up north but I've been in the military and been assigned to these locations : Fl, Tx, NC/Va,
I change it up. Don't always say y'all. Some times it is you all. Sometimes it's you guys too. You can't always help being influenced by those around you.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:31 AM

28 posts, read 28,339 times
As others have mentioned, y'all seems to be quite prevelant in southern West Virginia. Once you hit say Boone County, its y'all all the time.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:09 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,227 times
My wife is from Wetzel County, WV and her grandmother always said youins lol..

Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I lived for several years in the Charleston area (Sissonville specifically) and everyone in Kanawha County said y'all. The dialect was extremely Southern but that change north of Fairmont. Many people in West Virginia had much thicker accents than in many parts of Louisiana. Here in Baton Rouge around like 50% of people have a Southern accent and the other half just have a regular American accent.

If Mississippi is the ultimate Southern state and New Jersey is the ultimate Northern state, then West Virginians in general talk a lot more like people in Mississippi than New Jersey. Culturally WV is also much more similar to Mississippi and Louisiana than to New Jersey and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia