Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 24,034 times

Advertisements

I've always dreamed of living in wva... My wife too!

So we've been saving up to buy a few hundred acres there.

Problem is, working in another state and having a farm in wva sounds nice, but with kids and sports and ask that fun jazz we realize that means we'll only make it there a couple times a year!

So I started to look for jobs in the big cities and the pay is so low I just don't know how to make it happen... Haha. So we are thinking of pivoting to Tennessee, Kentucky, or Missouri where there is more work.

Anyone have any recommendations on which areas and companies to look for that are within an hour or so of mountains? (Or what recruiting agencies are strongest in the area?)

Looking for senior management in the ballpark of 200k, but I can drop lower to live somewhere we love in the mid 100s.

The only other place I've found fit sure was wvu... I used to be a college professor before I went into corporate America lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 02:25 PM

53 posts, read 53,176 times
Haha. Buying a 100+ acre farm in WV just to visit a few times a year doesn't make sense. For one, land isn't that cheap unless it truly is in the middle of nowhere, and have fun on the roads getting there, especially in the winter. How much you want to spend?

Also, do you want to open up the liability of people hunting/squatting/camping at your place when you aren't around? Wouldn't be hard to break a window and use your place to cook meth :P

If you are planning on relocating entirely and are looking for $200k salary in an area of WV where you can also buy 100+ acres, forget it. You mentioned you were a college professor. Most colleges in WV are dying aside from WVU and Marshall, and unless you have a PhD and current publication record, and are in the right field, $200k+ is a pipe dream at either school since they are R1 and can take their pick of desperate, newly credentialed PhDs from good schools. And land and housing is not cheap at all in the immediate area for the lack of amenities you are getting.

To be honest, if you look at what say $500k can buy you in Morgantown compared to $500k in Pittsburgh, you are wasting your money in Morgantown. Anything recently built is in Cheat Lake which doesn't even have a nearby grocery store, and you get to enjoy high HOA fees when the state can't even maintain the road to actually get to your poorly built McMansion subdivision :P

I saw your other post was looking for a zero income tax state. WV's income tax is fairly high for anyone making decent money (6.5% on $60k+), and they don't even double the income bracket if you are married. Hell, to compare, even a "high tax" state like CT charges 6.5% on $200k+ income if single, and is nice enough to double the limit if married to $400k. You get literally nothing for the tax money you pay in WV. Roads are **** for anything in the northern part of the state because they spend all the money in the south.

You want zero income and low property, just go to TN. TN actually has the lowest property taxes in the nation I think. Even PA would be a better choice because they have a flat income tax rate of around 3% and you would at least be in-state for Penn State and Pitt (both #57 USNews) and all their other public colleges for when your kids reach that point in their lives. Don't waste your in-state tuition slot on WVU (#228 USNews) if you don't have a reason to get trapped in the state.

Any other questions?

Last edited by maxwell7845; 01-20-2020 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 12:14 PM

35 posts, read 30,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7845 View Post
...To be honest, if you look at what say $500k can buy you in Morgantown compared to $500k in Pittsburgh, you are wasting your money in Morgantown. Anything recently built is in Cheat Lake which doesn't even have a nearby grocery store, and you get to enjoy high HOA fees when the state can't even maintain the road to actually get to your poorly built McMansion subdivision :P ...
Wouldn't you get more square foot / dollar in Morgantown than Pittsburgh?

Old 01-22-2020, 01:45 PM

632 posts, read 835,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlewelynMoss View Post
Wouldn't you get more square foot / dollar in Morgantown than Pittsburgh?
Depends on the location

Zillow has the median home price in:

Pittsburgh - $162,000
Cranberry Township - $337,000
Mount Lebanon - $293,000
Sewickley - $328,000

Morgantown - $198,000
Cheat Lake - $283,000
Brookhaven - $220,000

So technically, Morgantown is more expensive than Pittsburgh, but not really when you factor in suburb house prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia