Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 39,576 times

Advertisements

We visited Abacoa and are thinking about moving there next year. It seems lilke a dream come true community for families with young children. Has anyone heard anything negative about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 03:01 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times
Abacoa is a great area - I have lived in Jupiter for about 30 years now, I have never heard anything negative about Abacoa. I think it would be a wonderful place to raise a family.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM

162 posts, read 679,207 times
I've lived here in Abacoa for nearly three years and we love it. Schools are great, nice eastern location near all sorts of shopping and restaurants. I guess the only negative aspect that we've found so far is that a few families in our neighborhood are cliquish and focused on status (but I think you'll find that anywhere). Other than that, it's a fine place to live....

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I will second Native, above. Great place to raise a family. I would have enjoyed growing up there as a kid. And indeed, the only negative would be an element of "keeping up with the Joneses" in some of the neighborhoods. A friend of mine used to live in Valencia (the most expensive neighborhood in Abacoa), and the women there were very status symbol conscious in terms of cars and clothing (my friend is as well, so she fit in, lol, but just be prepared that you may encounter it!)

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks for your insight! Do you find there is any segregation between townhome families and single fammily homes there?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 PM

162 posts, read 679,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simstcy01 View Post
Thanks for your insight! Do you find there is any segregation between townhome families and single fammily homes there?
I haven't seen any in my neighborhood. Everyone seems to get along well, other than those few who are status oriented. We live in a single family home, and most of our friends here live in townhomes...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,172 times
Hi Simstcy, We moved to Florida in July 09'. We are also a relatively young family of 4. We looked hard at Wellington, Boca and Jupiter, eventually choosing Jupiter for many reasons mainly including the stability of real estate and its proximity to absolutely amazing beaches. Obviously schools also were a top priority.
I would have bet my life savings that we were going to live in Abacoa. Like you, I thought it was a dream come true for my family. Then I found Egret Landing, just next door to Abacoa. Abacoa is a really, really cool place. Homes are kinda small and the property is real tight. Its also soooo huge. I didnt like the fact that so many transient people travel thru your community. You kinda dont get a feel for who belongs and who doesnt.
When you weigh apples to apples, In my opinion, there isnt a better community to live in within Jupiter, than Egret Landing for a young family. Plus we get to use all Abacoa has to offer without paying the Abacoa HOA fees.
Abacoa is a amazing place. It really is. But you may wanna check out Egret Landing next time youre down here.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM

I noticed that each neighborhood in Abacoa has different HOA fees. Some in the excess of around 600-700/month. Why are the fees so different and what neighborhood has the most reasonable HOA fees?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:56 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Quote:
I noticed that each neighborhood in Abacoa has different HOA fees. Some in the excess of around 600-700/month. Why are the fees so different and what neighborhood has the most reasonable HOA fees?
Fees are going to vary depending on what is included in the dues.
Some neighborhoods, have no HOA's and no common elements so they have no dues (not many in Abacoa). Some have a basic pool, and maybe a clubhouse with some common areas and your dues will be low. Some get more elaborate. They maintain your lawn, have a pool/tennis/golf etc. and many are gated communities. Some include cable, water, or other utilities in the dues. Condos and some townhomes include Home Owners Insurance in the dues.
It all depends on the lifestyle you are looking to live.
600 a month sounds very high unless you are looking in a higher price point or at a condo.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times
Quote:
None of the communities within Abacoa are exactly the same. The number of the homes differ, the amenties differ, possibly the number of lakes or ponds, club houses, pools, tennis courts, golf course etc.

There are many things that the Association fees pay for.

Any amenties such as pools, tennis courts, golf courses, playground areas all need to be maintained, as well as having a Reserve Fund for major repairs.

Tennis Courts also have things like lights, nets, brooms, rollers, water fountains. All need maintained.

Your individual front yards have plants, sod and irrigation systems. All need maintained and repaired or replaced as needed.

The common areas need to be mowed, and fertilized, they also have irrigation systems. Your lakes have fountains and need to have the water tested and have chemicals which cause alge to grow added.

You club houses need to be cleaned along with your pool areas. Your sidewalks are pressure cleaned twice a year, and the trees get trimmed annually. If a tree dies it has to be removed, stump ground and a new tree is planted.

You have street signage inside your community and monument signs at your entrances. Annual flowers are planted and holiday decorations are purchased and displayed.

You have a management office to maintain and salaries for things like Attorneys, Accountants, Annual Audits, Maintenance people, a Management Co., a Security Co. and a Property Manager.

There are golf carts for cleaning, maintenance and manager to use to travel around the community, office furniture, computers and office supplies, club house and pool furniture.

There are utility bills, gas for your pool heater, water, sewage, electric, cleaning supplies for the bathrooms.

Is it worth it? How much would you spend annually to mow your lawn, maintain your sprinklers, replace the plants in your yards, add mulch and trim the trees each year. How much would you pay for your basic cable. Now add to it what would you do if your neighbor across the street did not care if he mowed his lawn, never cleaned his driveway or roof. Worked on his cars in the front yard?

What if your house was for sale and your neighbor was doing those things? And it was effecting the value of your house.

All these things are what you pay for.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/west-...#ixzz0hzuKHZBe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach