Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 22,391 times

Advertisements

We ( which includes my finally federally recognized spouse) currently live in upper upper Manhattan. We are retired and in early 60's. I am originally from the Bronx....(go Yankees). We lived in apts./coops/condos for most of our lives.

This coming winter we are renting a home near Ft. Lauderdale for 2 months. She really really wants to live on the east coast somewhere between Jupiter and not past Ft. Lauderdale for the winters ( and more).

However, the political climate of Florida make me very nervous & conflicted. If you do not understand that sentence, do not read further. STOP HERE.

Does anyone else share my apprehensions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM

17,557 posts, read 22,328,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLinda View Post
We ( which includes my finally federally recognized spouse) currently live in upper upper Manhattan. We are retired and in early 60's. I am originally from the Bronx....(go Yankees). We lived in apts./coops/condos for most of our lives.

This coming winter we are renting a home near Ft. Lauderdale for 2 months. She really really wants to live on the east coast somewhere between Jupiter and not past Ft. Lauderdale for the winters ( and more).

However, the political climate of Florida make me very nervous & conflicted. If you do not understand that sentence, do not read further. STOP HERE.

Does anyone else share my apprehensions ?
So you are a lesbian that is worried about immigrants/rednecks/Republicans preventing you from enjoying your stay?

I will give you a few tips:

1. Don't brag about NY, the Bronx or anything that was great "up north" because nobody cares
2. Don't make a big deal about your "federally recognized spouse" because nobody cares
3. Enjoy yourself, Florida is not judgmental and there is nothing to worry about.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Being a lesbian from NYC née the Bronx is not my issue. Relocating from a city to an area that has laws that are medieval is.

Will I have to attach my marriage certificate to my body in case my spouse needs hospitalization?

Also, I use public transportation and would like some suggestions of dog-friendly neighborhoods where I can live with my pets, walk to shop, eat etc. I don't brag about NYC ( why do you assume I do) but I can't see myself driving everywhere.

I forgot to mention I'm black.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 AM

17,557 posts, read 22,328,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLinda View Post
Being a lesbian from NYC née the Bronx is not my issue. Relocating from a city to an area that has laws that are medieval is.

Will I have to attach my marriage certificate to my body in case my spouse needs hospitalization?

Also, I use public transportation and would like some suggestions of dog-friendly neighborhoods where I can live with my pets, walk to shop, eat etc. I don't brag about NYC ( why do you assume I do) but I can't see myself driving everywhere.

I forgot to mention I'm black.
You mentioned NY 3 times in your opening sentence of your opening post......wasn't a far stretch that you really like NY!

Can't help you on the spouse/hospitalization issue but will tell you that public transportation gets worse the further north you go. Tri-Rail stops just north of West Palm and it is buses only after that. You will find public transportation a hassle compared to NYC. Getting around on public transportation is like trying to find parking in NYC.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,537,797 times
Maybe its just me, but it sounds like you are the one being judgmental, keep the chips off your shoulders, just as you expect others to, and you'll be fine. There are 19.32 million people in Florida as of the 2012 census. Believe it or not, we are not one homogenous group.

You'll find it easier to be black and gay then you will to be a dog owner looking for a dog friendly area though. Try this site, http://www.bringfido.com

Some places to consider might be downtown Delray or Boca. There is walkability there. Or look for a planned development that accepts pets. Many places restrict dog size, so if your dog is under 35lbs you should be ok for most places that accept dogs. Larger dogs make it more difficult, though not impossible, to find a rental for.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,468,570 times
West Palm Beach has domestic partnership registry that I believe provides some measure of benefit for hospitals and such.

Check out downtown/cityplace areas, or the historic neighborhoods south of downtown that have tons of gay and lesbian residents... walkable to downtown, the beach, and the trolley that will take you around downtown.... oh, and a dog park.

WPB is 30% black, so shouldn't be a problem!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM

130 posts, read 241,553 times
Not sure about what "political climate" means, but try Lake Worth.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM

87 posts, read 169,281 times
Look into Wilton Manor area of Broward.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 88,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
Look into Wilton Manor area of Broward.
This.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 AM

TriMT7 and ChristineNic...thank you both for your suggestions. They are very helpful and provide positive direction and guidance.

WPB sounds like what I'm looking for. Where is downtown/cityplace? I know public transportation is poor but I really just want to walk to stores etc. as opposed to driving everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach