Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times

Advertisements

It is official, I am making the move to PBC February 28/March 1.

My plan is to rent something for 6-12 months while I feel out the area and the housing market.

Originally, my plan was to get something at one of the run-of-the-mill apartment complexes in the Villages of WPB. However, I recently talked to someone who just moved from PBC to Nashville for his job and he couldn't stop raving about Delray Beach. Said it was perfect for a 28-year-old single guy who wants some nightlife and activity but also a more relaxed atmosphere.

Just wanted to get some input from everyone here. Delray Beach: worth checking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,433 times
I absolutely love Delray. It has one of my favorite beaches.

It'd be on my top 5 if I were 28 and single.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Sure, downtown Delray is great, but it's not cheap to live in the center of the action, which I think is why you were originally considering the Villages over downtown WPB, no?

Still, there may be some more affordable complexes in the general area.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have found a ton of rentals online reasonably close to downtown Delray; just need to make sure the area is safe before I commit to any of them.

How would one compare downtown Delray to downtown WPB?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,709 times
i am 28 and moving to delray feb 28/march 1 as well... creepy. i spent a couple summers in delray interning for my future employer...

downtown delray is the place to be, in my opinion. whenever my fiancee or friends came to visit, it was the place to be. i am trying to narrow down exactly where in downtown delray, but it is the only general location i am focusing on...

good luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
One of the best beaches I've ever been to. I can also recommend a very good restaurant:
Weclome To Caffe Luna Rosa

Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,859 times
Would you guys suggest Delray over the West Palm beach area? Im also moving to FL and have been focusing on WPB with my fiance and another couple.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 PM

I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far. Would still love to see a compare/contrast of Delray's downtown with WPB's from someone who is familiar with both. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Downtown West Palm is more of an actual "downtown" area and has more high rise complexes where downtown Delray is primarily just a strip of bars/restaurants/shops.

Both have a good amount of action for someone in their late 20's-early 30's. This also attracts a lot of tourists though so during season it can get pretty crowded.

Cityplace is an outdoor mall which is in the center of downtown WPB with a lot of chain store/restaurants where Atlantic ave is more ma and pa type places. WPB also has Clematis which has more restaurants and nightlife.

The beach off Atlantic is very nice but also very touristy. To get to the beach in WPB you have to go through Palm Beach (a small very wealthy island) which is also very nice.

It's not walking distance to Atlantic, but there's an area just South of Linton that has a cluster of condos/townhomes that are very affordable and pretty nice. In that 1000-1300 a month price range for a rental there are some good values there. You can also buy a decent 2/2 for 60-140k.

Buying in downtown WPB can be tough on a budget if you want something new. Most the condos have 5-800 a month condo dues, Delrays condos are fairly pricey as well.

Keep in mind they are only about 20 minutes from each other, so if you move to one it's not like you won't be able to visit the other regularly.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 PM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Definitely Delray instead of WPB...there are rentals in all price ranges, just depends how close you want
to be to the beach...Lots of stuff to do, restaurants, etc. and the beach in Delray is the best. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach