Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,806 times

Advertisements

We are thinking to move WPB area, may be next year. We live in North Atlanta suburb that have a great schools and constantly included in 20 best towns in US for living. But we do not need schools anymore and we like warmer weather in winter, swimming , biking and etc. On this forum I have learned that decent (and more or less affordable) areas to live in WPB are Jupiter, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach, may be Palm Beach Garden. So, I am looking for advice where to buy house. My budget is 300 000-400 000$. I understand that we end not in equal area where we live now. But my main concern is mosquitoes in summer in Wellington and any other areas located far from ocean and possible ocean surges in areas like Jupiter. We already have small rental house on Intracoastal and we might end up leaving there. There are no mosquitoes in summer and cool breeze all the time, not that hot like in Atlanta. But it does not feel very safe to live there and I am afraid of flooding too. So I think to buy second house and choose in which one to live. One thing is to consider- my wife is music teacher and she likes to be close to the pool of future students (or any possible teaching job). Does it mean we have to be in newer remote, relatively safe, but boring and mosquitoes ridden place? I sort of like idea of Jupiter, could anybody tell, plase, if any mosquitoes within 2 mile from Intracoastal over there? BTH, I have been in every major area of Florida many times, but only as tourist. I do not speak Spanish and my daughter currently student of PBA University.
Appreciate any advice, it is difficult choice for us to make such move, especially for my wife, she is afraid of South Florida a lot.

Last edited by alexwilmacir; 11-14-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
I love Jupiter, but would not consider it "affordable"... more high end.
Your budget will get you a decent townhouse in Abacoa in Jupiter.
Have you checked that area out?
Mosquitoes exist everywhere-it's definitely relative.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Forget about mosquitoes the no-see-ums are the worst in the intracoastal area

Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
All three are nice areas, I was just showing a house today in Jupiter for 359k that was nice and close to a big pool/biking trails.
Rpb and Wellington will be more affordable and you'll most likely find something newer if you are ok being a little further from the beach.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 AM

66 posts, read 117,255 times
I moved from Roswell to Jupiter in 2010, and there's nowhere I'd rather live in PBC.
Check out Tequesta.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,806 times
Well, thanks everybody for input. About mosquitoes- I stayed several times in my rental house for a week and I have not seen any mosquitoes and neighbors confirmed this. But area is so-so. Probably, I will not be able to afford "non mosquitoes" house in better area, so I have to deal with mosquitoes in more remote areas from the ocean. The idea is to rent one house, live in another, may be work somewhere part time and get social security and 401k income in some years on top of that income. I do not know how realistic is this, but I do not mind to try. And if my wife will get any music teaching job it will help.
"I moved from Roswell to Jupiter in 2010, and there's nowhere I'd rather live in PBC" -Marmsd1, was it Roswell, GA? My house is just across the road in Johns Creek (Alpharetta). How was your transition from the forest to the ocean?
Jupiter sounds good to me, I only hate 500$ ass. fees in condos, they rise every year, house (may be with pool), if I can afford one, will be my first choice. Royal PB and Wellington sounds more appealing to my wife professionally, but than I have to work harder to escape for 2+ month from summer heat.
Do you think it makes sense to wait 2-3 years before market drop again and buy for cash or better to take some equity and buy now?
Skylinet, how much will be rent for such 359k house and how easy to rent it?
Thanks

Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Market drop in 2-3 years? Hope not; that’s when I want to sell!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 PM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Market drop in 2-3 years? Hope not; that’s when I want to sell!
Inventory is already quite high in those areas, we sold at a profit and left. If we sold during the downturn we would have ended up selling our house for $150K less than what we got.

Market is Cool to Warm in those areas, not Very Hot like it is here in San Diego.

The only thing driving the market in SoFLA is wealthy retirees and wealth in general, not a huge influx of employers moving in creating ton's of high paying jobs for average people to afford it with ease.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM

120 posts, read 114,837 times
The stretch of roads (I-95 and all parallel streets running N<->S) between Jupiter and Wellington is pretty congested and has gotten more so over the years. I would pick something north over something south any time - this means PBG or Jupiter over Wellington and RPB any time. You can leave Jupiter much more easily than you can leave Wellington. They will all have places to run, bike etc.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,712 times
We moved from Johns Creek in 2011 first to Plantation (Fort Lauderdale area), then we moved to Boynton Beach. A similar personal situation like yours. This is an affordable area close to the beach with easy access to PB airport and Fort Lauderdale airport. many Mosquitos will be an issue every time we get a lot of rain in the summer and really there is no area with less or more of them. I'll be glad to help and show you the area. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach