Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Central Kitsap area. My son will be in 8th grade and I want to make sure I get him into a good middle/high school. I am looking for input from other parents on schools in the district in regards to the director education program.
Is there any difference between Olympic, Central, and Klahowya? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM

102,504 posts, read 109,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihahey View Post
I am moving to Central Kitsap area. My son will be in 8th grade and I want to make sure I get him into a good middle/high school. I am looking for input from other parents on schools in the district in regards to the director education program.
Is there any difference between Olympic, Central, and Klahowya? Thank you.
This isn't a topic for the Seattle forum. I've asked a moderator to move your thread to the WA State forum.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 AM

301 posts, read 523,921 times

At the risk of sounding like "that person," I do have to ask if you've already contacted the schools individually. I ask only because my kiddos are in North Kitsap SD boundaries, and not all programs are offered at all schools. For example, when my kiddo needed a developmental preschool, it was not offered at the home school, and kiddo had to be bused to another school for services. You may be limited by what is offered at each school.

And again, "that person," but if your student is entering middle school, why are you asking about the high schools? Is it to determine what might be the best fit for the future?

Otherwise, my only other impressions of CKSD--general schooling, not special education per se--but this is high school impressions, not middle school. Sounds like your kiddo will be in middle school:

CK--largest high school in the district and will offer the most course offerings. It is in the middle of rebuilding, so some classes may suffer due to construction issues.

Olympic--2nd largest, and will have fewer course offerings than CK. However, their remodel has just been completed and the campus looks amazing. It is likely the most diverse of the three high schools in CK district, due to its proximity to Bremerton.

Klahowya--this is the smallest high school in the district, and it shares its campus with the middle school (which is why it is Klahowya Secondary School and not Klahowya High School). It is more remote. There are fewer course offerings than the other two schools. This does not mean that they don't offer special education services; but once again, the specific program you need for your kiddo may not be offered at that school.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 2,887 times
Hi prosin. Thank you for responding. I have called the schools and they all have me the same response plus I would like to hear some personal experiences if possible.

My son will be in 8th grade so I want to make sure that both the middle and high school are good choices. I have heard good things about Central Kitsap middle School. The sites online (great schools, niche) vary so much so it is hard to go by those.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:16 AM

45 posts, read 49,031 times
My daughter recently switched to CKHS. It was a slow start but shes settling in now. I will say there were a few staff members that didn't make her feel welcomed, but then there were a good handful that tried to comfort her in the transition. This may not be a direct answer to your question, but I figure I mention this because comfort affects learning ability. The first few weeks were rough for my daughter because she didn't feel comfortable... which is odd because she is a very social and loving kid. For her to have wanted to hide in a shell for a bit was shocking to us. The main teacher that made her feel unwelcomed still to this day remains a cold as he was the first day.

None the less, she is taking those lemons and making lemonade.

We visited and toured some schools before moving and we were all impressed with CKHS programs and first impressions. I cant help but wonder how she'd fare at Olympic however...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington