Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,541,093 times

Advertisements

^ they (harbor seals) are the Labradors of the bays and rivers. SeaLions are big and ravenous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:26 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,740,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Are the seals friendly? Do they bother humans? Are they ever pets?
Harbor seals aren't especially aggressive in my experience, but they do eat eat eat along with the rest of them. Sealions are a different story, the man that had part of his leg bit off by a large sealion was a distant relative of mine. They pile onto boats and docks and damage or sink them. The biggest impact they have is that as certain species of fish hit low population levels and are removed from commercial, tribal, and recreational fishing opportunities, that seal or sealion doesn't know the difference and would happily swim up to the base of a dam and inhale the LAST one.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:38 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,088,575 times
Harbor seals are friendly.
Almost too much but they are wild animals with teeth and should be respected.
I dive in Monterey CA and we have the same seals we have up north.
Harbor seals will sometimes follow you while you are diving and playfully “tug” on your fins.
When the visibility is bad and you are in the ocean and new to it getting “tugged” back will scare the heck out of you until you see them big playful eyes staring at you.
That said I alway think “shark” at first no matter how many times I’ve been there.
Please don’t ever try to touch one or get overly confident they will do what ever they want but I’ve never heard of one biting a person.
I have seen healthy harbor seals way up the Sacramento River, maybe 35 miles from the ocean and I think they can go further.

I have also been accosted by a sea lion.
I wasn’t bit thankfully but body slammed into the rocks and bloodied up pretty good.
I should have been more aware/respectful of its territory.
Sea lions aren’t friendly and are very territorial.
I see them a lot and while they are beautiful to look at I like to give them a wide berth.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:12 AM

14,534 posts, read 12,163,865 times
From this morning’s news! I remembered this thread!

See lion followed fish upriver all the way to Castle Rock!

https://www.facebook.com/19253456079...131201850/?d=n
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington