Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,647 times

Advertisements

Based on what I read in your post I'm voting yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,915,159 times
So, apparently "Thatguy950", has a post that apparently has backfired. That's OK, it doesn't mean your silly measure will fail, but wait...no...it does mean it will fail. Even fellow Eastern Washingtonians are against this one. Better luck next time.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:44 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,743,994 times
Not necessarily. These initiatives have to be vetted so carefully. I remember the state trying to pass an income tax on the high income brackets, and in the initiatives fine print was something along the language of: "the legislature shall have the option to expand or edit the breadth of the application of the income tax and tax brackets without voter approval". So basically once it was voted in, the legislature could just vote to income tax everyone and that would be that.
As evident in many other issues from guns to water rights, Washington state won't hesitate to trample on your rights even if it's against the federal amendments.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 PM

I wasn’t clear in my post above. I meant to say “even eastern Washington is FOR 1639.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,204,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
So, apparently "Thatguy950", has a post that apparently has backfired. That's OK, it doesn't mean your silly measure will fail, but wait...no...it does mean it will fail. Even fellow Eastern Washingtonians are against this one. Better luck next time.
Not really.

Let’s not kid ourselves here and honestly believe the people who miraculously decided, upon reading my post and proclaiming “well I’ll sure be voting in favor of this now” didn’t have their minds made up well in advance.

Alarmingly meaaures that erode individual rights and freedoms and coddle and enable criminals tend to be doing very well in this state in recent years.

Initiatives such as this follow the same logic as someone coming into a doctor’s office complaining of knee pain and the doctor telling them “hop up on the table and let’s have a look at your ear.” They don’t address real issues and rather redirect our focus

Old 10-18-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Not really.

Let’s not kid ourselves here and honestly believe the people who miraculously decided, upon reading my post and proclaiming “well I’ll sure be voting in favor of this now” didn’t have their minds made up well in advance.

Alarmingly meaaures that erode individual rights and freedoms and coddle and enable criminals tend to be doing very well in this state in recent years.

Initiatives such as this follow the same logic as someone coming into a doctor’s office complaining of knee pain and the doctor telling them “hop up on the table and let’s have a look at your ear.” They don’t address real issues and rather redirect our focus
Of course not. I was just using the response here to make a point that this Initiative is in trouble. It generally is going right down party lines, but independents are leaning "Yes".

https://crosscut.com/2018/10/washing...oints-new-poll

Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 PM

As linked above, the initiative as written is leaning "yes". The initiative is in trouble for the rightwing NRA folks.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 PM

432 posts, read 1,204,312 times
Excellent ideas in the initiative, all around; long overdue. Thanks to the op for the summary. I'll be voting for.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 PM

Yes, it is going to pass. My earlier points are it is just not liberal Western WA, there are independents and even some republicans who will be voting yes on this.

Other initiatives...

1631 Carbon Tax...likely to pass but I will vote no. Don't need higher gas and energy prices.

1643 Stops additional food taxes. This is likely to pass, and it should. I will vote yes on this.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:09 PM

432 posts, read 1,204,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
1643 Stops additional food taxes. This is likely to pass, and it should. I will vote yes on this.
Imo, it's a disingenuous con. Cf. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ate-overlords/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington