Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 08:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,143,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
honestly surprised this post didn’t cause more meltdowns and a sh1tstorm
Yep, as someone who lives near Olympia, this was an honest post and I agree with nearly everything. When someone makes a comment about how things really are around here, the defensive posts come flying. Hope this poster finds a spot that fits.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 11:56 AM

14,568 posts, read 12,238,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLeadBelly View Post
So I thought I would chime in as I'm a recent transplant to Olympia via Milwaukee, WI.

...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
honestly surprised this post didn’t cause more meltdowns and a sh1tstorm
Quote:
Maybe because its pretty honest and there's not much that could be disagreed on. But I agree, it's interesting that people aren't losing their minds lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yep, as someone who lives near Olympia, this was an honest post and I agree with nearly everything. When someone makes a comment about how things really are around here, the defensive posts come flying. Hope this poster finds a spot that fits.

I am probably one of the most defending (not defensive) about this area... and I didn't feel the need to argue with most of it. It seemed mean spirited to fight with him since he just lost his wife who was only reason he was even here in the first place. This isn't the right place for HeavyLeadBelly. He never wanted to be here, and I'm glad he's moved on to where he would rather be.

Some of his complaints are features I actually LIKE about the area Like apparently on top of the usual complaints about the rain, our trees are too evergreen and it's a hassle to get around on account of all the bodies of water and mountains everywhere. He loves the midwest, where it's flat, and all the streets are laid out on a nice square grid. OK! Different strokes for different folks.

Most of the other complaints, I get around by living in the country. Fewer people, less politics, less traffic, lower cost of living, I seem to have found plenty of good food and beer in my life. I am content.

Good luck to you though, HLB!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,143,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I am probably one of the most defending (not defensive) about this area... and I didn't feel the need to argue with most of it. It seemed mean spirited to fight with him since he just lost his wife who was only reason he was even here in the first place. This isn't the right place for HeavyLeadBelly. He never wanted to be here, and I'm glad he's moved on to where he would rather be.

Some of his complaints are features I actually LIKE about the area Like apparently on top of the usual complaints about the rain, our trees are too evergreen and it's a hassle to get around on account of all the bodies of water and mountains everywhere. He loves the midwest, where it's flat, and all the streets are laid out on a nice square grid. OK! Different strokes for different folks.

Most of the other complaints, I get around by living in the country. Fewer people, less politics, less traffic, lower cost of living, I seem to have found plenty of good food and beer in my life. I am content.

The point of our comments is to agree with an honest poster. There are not many negative comments on the area, most people post like you, always about how the great the place is. Being tone deaf for yourself is one thing, but trying to portray this place as nearly perfect, as many people do, is not fair to those who would like a realistic picture.

Living in the country, less traffic, yes, lower cost of living, no. The food here is terrible and overpriced and the beer selection is awful. Fewer people is not necessarily a good thing, one of my close neighbors has a drug dealing son due to be released in the next few months. Not the first druggie close by, either. Quality not quantity is a good thing, but it doesn’t work around here.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM

14,568 posts, read 12,238,523 times
Ah Taz... Good luck to you too. I mean it.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:55 PM

330 posts, read 430,609 times
Quote:
Some of his complaints are features I actually LIKE about the area Like apparently on top of the usual complaints about the rain, our trees are too evergreen and it's a hassle to get around on account of all the bodies of water and mountains everywhere.

I'll bet it's beautiful there.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Oh I know a lot of people out there who love the weather and the trees and that's all good! I don't fault them one bit. But not for me. I need the seasons. I need to not feel constricted by mountains all of the time. And yes, I love a nice city grid over urban/suburban sprawl which is what you get in Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater.

At the end of they day I was able to get out of that place and I'm still happy I did. But more and more people are going to head that way for the time being and the costs of living there are only going to head upwards. I'm happy I'm in Madison with a great job. I'm also happy to see the cooler, chillier, air coming in and I have already loved riding my bike through the snow. I also completely love the fact that I can live here and have enough money to settle down and to travel all over the place, including back to WA and OR when I want to. I could not say the same thing when I was in Oly.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:44 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,747,974 times
Quote:
Oh I know a lot of people out there who love the weather and the trees and that's all good! I don't fault them one bit. But not for me. I need the seasons. I need to not feel constricted by mountains all of the time. And yes, I love a nice city grid over urban/suburban sprawl which is what you get in Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater.

At the end of they day I was able to get out of that place and I'm still happy I did. But more and more people are going to head that way for the time being and the costs of living there are only going to head upwards. I'm happy I'm in Madison with a great job. I'm also happy to see the cooler, chillier, air coming in and I have already loved riding my bike through the snow. I also completely love the fact that I can live here and have enough money to settle down and to travel all over the place, including back to WA and OR when I want to. I could not say the same thing when I was in Oly.
Good to hear you're happy in your new place. Unfortunately those nice green tree's and all the beautiful scenery don't help pay the bloated costs of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington