Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 32,006 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to WA to be closer to my girlfriend of five years and a half. Her choice of going grad school is final as she turned in a few applications to WA schools. I've made the choice that I want to be there for her when shes going into grad school. My current location is Honolulu, Oahu

Now my question, how would I get a job offer in WA while still living on Oahu? I've sent out my cover letter/resume but most of them want someone that is already living in WA. Has anyone have any experience like this? Anyone can give me advice?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Err, well, you're really not giving us much to go on. What is your education, work-background, etc? Finding a job from HI will be tough because most employers will want to interview you in person, regardless of how good your resume' looks.

If you have practical skills/education, you should be able to find something decent, but it depends where she lands: While unemployment in Seattle is lower than the national average, the job market here isn't exactly booming for most fields. If you aren't picky about what you do, you'll find something.

If she winds up in a smaller area like Bellingham or Pulman, then your prospects will be severely limited.

Anyway, if you give us more info about your qualifications/background, that will help.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:54 PM

I just graduated from Architecture school last year and now working with an Architecture firm for a little over a year, have experience working on site with construction and know my construction materials. In the Arch firm I'm with, I feel my skills are limited with them and I know I can do more as my software knowledge (I'm a Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011 Certified Professional) is high from school and other firms on the mainland is utilizing the software as a mandatory skill to product working drawings. I've visited an arch firm in Seattle and want to expand my knowledge in architecture design.

She is applying in the Seattle area.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There is no shortage of qualified worker in that field here, and construction is just starting to
begin again after several years without much going on. You will have a much better chance if you move here before looking for the job, if you can get by on savings for several months.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Yeah, I figured that I would get a better chance to land a job there once I move up there. But should I keep sending out my resume when there's still an opening even though I haven't moved up there yet?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius071 View Post
Yeah, I figured that I would get a better chance to land a job there once I move up there. But should I keep sending out my resume when there's still an opening even though I haven't moved up there yet?
I suppose sending out your resume doesn't hurt. I know very little about the field of architecture, but imagine you'd be able to find something. It probably won't be as an architect, but maybe some kind of office job at a firm, or a construction company or something.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
I suppose sending out your resume doesn't hurt. I know very little about the field of architecture, but imagine you'd be able to find something. It probably won't be as an architect, but maybe some kind of office job at a firm, or a construction company or something.
Thank you so much! This really assures me that I can a job within my career path. And also, I'm getting into wedding videography and photography does Seattle area have a bunch of weddings happening?

Anyone else can give any advice? I'm all open ears as this my my first move out of Hawaii.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius071 View Post
Thank you so much! This really assures me that I can a job within my career path. And also, I'm getting into wedding videography and photography does Seattle area have a bunch of weddings happening?

Anyone else can give any advice? I'm all open ears as this my my first move out of Hawaii.
Seattle may have a lot more weddings if the Gay marriage initiative passes in today's election. One thing that you could do is get a Seattle area mailing address so it appears as though you live here, renting a private mailbox. Often they'll have " apartment" numbers rather than a box number, so if you rented a private mailbox in Renton, say, it'll say 345 Williams Ave S, Apt 305, and nobody'll know that you're renting something a foot long by six inches wide. Some of these places will even forward your mail to your current address, for a price, of course.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle may have a lot more weddings if the Gay marriage initiative passes in today's election. One thing that you could do is get a Seattle area mailing address so it appears as though you live here, renting a private mailbox. Often they'll have " apartment" numbers rather than a box number, so if you rented a private mailbox in Renton, say, it'll say 345 Williams Ave S, Apt 305, and nobody'll know that you're renting something a foot long by six inches wide. Some of these places will even forward your mail to your current address, for a price, of course.
I haven't done a gay wedding before but it looks like I'll be okay after all.

Hmm, renting a mailbox is smart but what if an employer wants to do an interview a few days after or on the same day? I guess I would I would let the employer to give me a few day then I can fly up?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 AM

298 posts, read 303,537 times
I wish you all the best in your job search but it must be hard leaving Hawaii? I have visited Hawaii a few times and didn't want to leave Is it as expensive as they say to live in Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington