Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 AM

67 posts, read 119,285 times

Advertisements

Yes!

We found a great rental property in Columbia! March here we come . . . to Maryland!

We are so happy! But, we need your help. I have been doing my research to find out how to sign up for the utility companies. Can someone post links to the utility companies we need to get started.

I also noticed that many of the houses and townhouses have fireplaces. How do we go about getting firewood for the fireplace? Also, can someone point us in the direction of general laws for Columbia/Howard County .. . such as trash removal, changing our license, and any other city/township ordinance that we may need to be aware of?

In my research I notices that Columbia does not have a police force. They use county police and fire company. Is this correct?

We are coming from Plymouth Meeting, PA and as you know,things are different in each location.

Thank you very much everybody J

Last edited by violamr; 02-25-2016 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:23 AM

222 posts, read 271,549 times
Welcome to Columbia.

1. Call BGE (Baltimore Gas & Electric) 800.685.0123 Baltimore Gas and Electric . You can get started with BGE and maybe switch to another company once you are situated.

2. For firewood, i would contact a local nursery or even check craigslist for independent firewood dealers (they usually sell by the cord)

3. We have a recycling center (county dump) that is open Mon-Sat. I would check the howardcountymd.gov page for more information on laws you are specifically looking for such as local trash pick up. I believe trash is done curb side by the county on scheduled days each week.

4. Columbia is policed by Howard County Police and Maryland State Troopers

Old 02-25-2016, 01:59 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,810,703 times
welcome it is a nice area and has a good mall!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:29 AM

26 posts, read 85,226 times
Maryland is governed at the county level.

Www.howardcountymd.gov has a lot of info for you about what they offer and run. They have a reasonable parks and rec department, so-so county library system (it is nice, just not as many branches as Montgomery County, but the branches are larger), and the most pastoral and idyllic landfill at Alpha Ridge that I have ever seen complete with a winding road through some green space.

Make sure you register your car and change your license fairly soon after arriving. MD levies heavy fees if say...you want to wait until your registration expires in PA. Search MVA for info on getting your car inspected and having all necessary paperwork. If the shop fails your car on inspection, you will need to get it fixed before registration. If your car is older or has some damage from a fender bender, prepare to fix your car!

Oh...use gasbuddy to find reasonable gas stations along driving routes. Gas is 40-50 cents higher per gallon in Columbia compared to areas outside Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland