Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,271 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating accepting a job in Accokeek and am looking for the best place to live around it. I have a 4 year old and he will be in a school in Accokeek. However, I'm considering living in Alexandria to be closer to 'city life' and would need to commute daily to the job. Google maps shows a 30 minute commute at most times of the day, but would love to hear a realistic opinion of the commute. All help welcome!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
I think it would be a reverse commute, so it would probably be doable, particularly if you don't live too far from the Wilson Bridge, but the real question is "why?"

If your work is in Accokeek and you have a 4-year-old in school there, why would you want to subject yourself to the longer commute? If the commute is 30 minutes each way, that is an hour a day for you five days a week. It is also an hour for your child five days a week. I really like Old Town, but I'd rather drive there on the weekends once or twice than face the commute five days a week. Much of Alexandria will have better public schools than PG County, but if you're already paying private school tuition in Accokeek, why pay the higher housing costs you'll face in Alexandria?

If you really want an urban, walkable experience, someplace like Old Town is hard to beat and might be worth the commute. Personally, rather than deal with the commute, I'd take the opportunity to live in a place like the Moyaone Reserve. For a fraction of the price of a decent house in Alexandria, I'd live on five or ten wooded acres, have an easy commute to work and school, and visit Old Town or DC on weekends.

Regardless of where you choose to live, I hope you find someplace you love!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
I will say that at first I was totally in agreement with my dear fellow poster RamblingMan -- and was going to say -- "With a job and a 4-year-old, how much city life do you figure to take advantage of on a DAILY basis? The commute is at least FIVE days a week, and can get old quickly."

...ALTHOUGH now that I think about it....what you're considering is perfectly doable.

1) I also have a 30 minute commute (a non rush hour commute from MD to DC) and 30 minutes really is a VERY good commute time for this area.

2) As for getting out to really take advantage of the amenities of Alexandria, THAT depends on your works hours. Because just a important -- and maybe even more than mileage or time....it's commute aggravation that can make the travel get OLD real fast. And THAT depends on your work schedule. (30 minute commute can be hellish too, but at least it's short)

And if you're a "9-5er," you'll be home by 5:45...or even 6p. That's plenty of time (especially when the weather is good or it doesn't get dark until late) to get out and talk a walk with your daughter...go to Old Town, Del Ray or wherever -- and enjoy lots of things Alexandria offers.....as often as you want.

Now, obviously that's a best case scenario....."real life" situations vary.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM

84 posts, read 135,146 times
I actually lived in Accokeek and commuted to VA for years up until last year. And depending on where you live in Alexandria 30 minutes is very doable. 210 going south has virtually 0 traffic in the morning. The previous poster was correct. It would be a reverse commute for you. So traffic will not be an issue at all for you coming or going

Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,271 times
Default Great inputs! Thanks!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I actually agree with what you've all said. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of living in Accokeek vs. Alexandria. Accokeek seems to have little to no rentals, I would have to consider Waldorf for that. I actually prefer living in a safe, self-sustained community, and I've lived in an apartment all my life, and am not sure I would be able to handle a house all on my own yet Also, I want to have my son go to some soccer and swim classes in the evenings, so I'm guessing Alexandria would be a better place for activities like those.

Any thoughts on safe neighborhoods in Alexandria? Thanks again!!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM

254 posts, read 405,771 times
Hi UKartha I wonder if you will be workmates with my hubby? We are moving (well he's already there in an extended stay in Waldorf, Im riding out the lease here still) for a job in Accokeek also. And let's face it, not that it isnt a lovely place, but there's not too many job related reasons to relocate there

Sorry I don't have any practical advice at the moment, we are having quite the time finding a place ourselves, and are in a different situation than yourself. Just wanted to say Hi and Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland