Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM

7,086 posts, read 9,661,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There already is an interchange for the Greenbelt Metro. Did they mean re-design?
It is a reconstruction of the current one into a "FULL" interchange. This would presumably be in preparation for whatever id developed at the Greenbelt Metro.

MDSHA: PLC - PG333_21 - IS 0095 CAPITAL BELTWAY SRI - EAST OF CSX RAILROAD BRIDGE 16136 TO W OF MD 201 (KENILWORTH AVE) - Project Information

The current interchange isn't sufficient for increased traffic in and out of the Greenbelt Metro property from future development. ALso, the only way to get to the metro currently is driving south on I495. There is no on-ramp to continue south after leaving the station. The only entry point forces you to go back north on I495. I imagine a FULL interchange would allow you to go either north or south entering and leaving the station area.

SHA Concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Maryland commits 0M to Prince George's County road projects-gbmetrointerchange.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM

304 posts, read 717,870 times
I'm happy to see transportation projects finally gain traction in Prince George's. With that said, with all of the issues that one could think of with the Route 1 (Baltimore Avenue) corridor... the priority is adding friggin' bike trails??? What about the the failing infrastructure that can't even begin to support the amount of drivers using the road on a daily basis? The insane traffic during rush hour? Terribly paved areas of Rt. 1? I could care less about bike trails. Try finding a solution to fix the biggest problems, first, before looking at novelties such as bike trails.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 PM

195 posts, read 476,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It is part of the RT. 1 improvement program. I'm not sure why they call it a trail. It is to my understanding that they are planning on purchasing land alongside Rt. 1 so that people can walk and bike along Rt. 1 safely. Right now, the sidewalks are inconsistent and very skinny (3' across). I imagine there will be a trail that can accommodate both bikes and pedestrians far enough from the automobile traffic on RT.1. Therefore they need to buy up that extra space to make it happen. There are currently a number of ideas of what it looks like. This has been talked about for going on 9 years. Shows you have slow things move around here.
That sounds better ... I can get behind a complete streets project ...

Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
I'm happy to see transportation projects finally gain traction in Prince George's. With that said, with all of the issues that one could think of with the Route 1 (Baltimore Avenue) corridor... the priority is adding friggin' bike trails??? What about the the failing infrastructure that can't even begin to support the amount of drivers using the road on a daily basis? The insane traffic during rush hour? Terribly paved areas of Rt. 1? I could care less about bike trails. Try finding a solution to fix the biggest problems, first, before looking at novelties such as bike trails.
The project includes repaving Rt. 1.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM

74 posts, read 171,759 times
As a PG county resident since 2003 (Hyattsville) and as someone who is closing on a second house in PG (Brandywine) this September, I am QUITE pleased with these prospects.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post

One more thing. Adding road capacity in most cases never relieves traffic. Especially if an area continues to grow. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with bike lanes. They aren't a novelty. For every person who bikes, that's a car that is not adding to traffic. For every person who can walk to campus, that's another car not adding to traffic. The Purple Line will remove cars from the road by providing students and faculty an alternative way to get to campus instead of the misplaced College Park Metro which is a mile away. To prepare for the Greenblelt Metro development, the inadequate interchange is being reconfigured to allow more traffic to enter and exit I495 more efficiently.

RT. 1 is what it is...a 4-lane main artery into DC. The more alternative transportation options provided, the better. For the Cafritz project, they are refurbishing the trolley trail that will connect with the COllege Park Metro so that residents can walk to the Purple Line station or the College Park station. There will also be shuttles to reach PG Plaza and College Park to alleviate the extra traffic.

Hopefully, and this may be wishful thinking, they need to rebuild the Rhode Island trolley line that should start at the Rhode Island Ave. station and end in College Park.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM

84 posts, read 135,695 times
With this recent investment being showcased and the spur of commercial development being focused on over the past couple of years, I think it would be safe to say that Rushern Baker most likely will be coming back for another term.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM

15,488 posts, read 26,029,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It is a reconstruction of the current one into a "FULL" interchange. This would presumably be in preparation for whatever id developed at the Greenbelt Metro.

MDSHA: PLC - PG333_21 - IS 0095 CAPITAL BELTWAY SRI - EAST OF CSX RAILROAD BRIDGE 16136 TO W OF MD 201 (KENILWORTH AVE) - Project Information

The current interchange isn't sufficient for increased traffic in and out of the Greenbelt Metro property from future development. ALso, the only way to get to the metro currently is driving south on I495. There is no on-ramp to continue south after leaving the station. The only entry point forces you to go back north on I495. I imagine a FULL interchange would allow you to go either north or south entering and leaving the station area.

SHA Concept.
I hope it gets built. I have been using that station a lot lately, and the current configuration is annoying.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,902,661 times
Ha I'm more excited about CP getting real sidewalks than any of these other big budget items.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,954,923 times
They should use a big chunk of that money to repave existing roads. PGC wasn't just built over the past decade. I can drive all over the Ft Washington, Clinton and Camp Springs areas and find roads that should embarrass any county maintenance supervisor. I don't know how small cars can stand up to the abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland